Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do Not Resuscitate Order Posted in Kitchen

Honestly @pitdakota, I really don't think her tattoo would be legal in IL either but had never been faced with it before or after.  I think I was a little in shock to see it!  You see a lot of things when you work in the medical field and after

30 plus years, thought I had seen a lot but there it was-tattooed none the less, on her chest!  If nothing else, it would have made any medical personnel inquire for sure and ask for papers!  All I can say is keep those papers in a prominent area and the refrigerator is a great place AND be sure your family, close neighbors, doctor, etc. are aware as well.  I also told patients to keep an updated list of their medications on their fridge as well.  This can help in emergencies too and will save time instead of someone hunting and maybe missing something.  Include all OTC medicines and supplements along with the strengths and how often you take them on the paper, too, even if you just take them now and then.

Honored Contributor

DNR orders are for hospitals and only hospitals.  I cannot even envision an first responder looking at refrigerator and deciding not to save grandma because there's a hand written DNR sign on the door...lol   It's ridiculous to even think about.  It would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I can see it now, they stand by and watch grandma take her last breath and someone comes in and says.....that DNR was for grandpa...lol

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady, my husband tells me all of the time I should write a book about all of the things I have encountered over the years of nursing.  LOL!  But have to say, I have never seen a DNR tatoo.  All kinds of other interesting, funny, and even vulgar tatoos....but never a DNR with a signature to boot.  lol  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

I saw a show on the Investigation Discovery channel where they missed a knife thrown in a freezer that was the murder weapon, so I hope the DNR isn't inside the freezer and that it was a typo meaning on -not in? 

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

DNR orders are for hospitals and only hospitals.  I cannot even envision an first responder looking at refrigerator and deciding not to save grandma because there's a hand written DNR sign on the door...lol   It's ridiculous to even think about.  It would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I can see it now, they stand by and watch grandma take her last breath and someone comes in and says.....that DNR was for grandpa...lol

---------------------

I'm sure if it differs by state, but here, the form is a legal document that has to be witnessed and signed by your doctor. It now has a spot for a photo. It also has to be on the orange paper, strange as that may sound, but it's easier to spot. My Dad kept one on his fridge.

Respected Contributor

Actually, I think it's a good idea to post it.  I hadn't thought of that.

Esteemed Contributor

I am in Tempe, AZ and after reading these posts come Monday morning I am going to have documents drawn up and posted.  With the chronic pain I endure every day I certainly do not want to be resuscitated.    When and if that time comes my loved ones will be able to say, "She is free of pain and in a better place." 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

sxmgirl...you and me!!!!!!!  I just posted that come Monday morning I am go for the papers.  Good luck to you. Woman LOL

@SXMGirl wrote:

Thank you to all who posted here.  I have never heard of posting a DNR or any other necessary info either on the fridge or putting the paperwork in a Lock N Lock in the freezer.  This will definitely be something that I will be doing in the next week.  I have no idea if our EMT personnel even know to look for the info in the kitchen, but I will also be checking that out.  Thanks again.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

Thanks for posting this information. I need to think about this for myself and my family's well being.

Esteemed Contributor

geller girl...This is off topic and my question to you might sound very strange but...as a young girl growing up Queens, N.Y. I had a friend who was a model and the daughter of the Geller Shoe Empire family.  Back then Geller shoes were very  expensive and well known and I haven't heard or seen the Geller name in decades.

@Gram W wrote:

@pigletsmom.   He died in 1994 so much has changed since then.   At that EMTs were the only people who did not have to abide by the papers. That is why he told me to never call an ambulance.  Just get him to the van myself while he can help.  I will look into things before I sign anything.

S Orry for the underlines.   Don't know where they came from.  Will correct.

It may just be a coincidence but it tweaked my curiosity and my first thought was could this be a relative?  I hope I didn't offend you in any way by broaching the subject and as I said, seeing your name caused me to be curious.