Super Contributor

Do Not Resuscitate Order Posted in Kitchen

I was recently visiting family in Florida and noticed a Do Not Resuscitate Order posted in the kitchen.  I have never seen or heard of posting this type of document, although it does make sense I guess, and I was not comfortable asking my relative about it.  Does anyone here have any information about whether this is becoming procedure in other states? 

Are first responders required to follow its instructions?  I am going to contact my own state and see if I can get any information, but would like to know what information you might be able to provide.  Thanks, everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do Not Resuscitate Order Posted in Kitchen

When I worked at my local high school in RI, I wrote "do not resuscitate" on any employee form I had ti fill out.  Now I have a living will.....guess it's because my mom was resusitated from a heart attack and remained in a coma for almost a year.  Just something I don't want my family to go through....

Honored Contributor

@Carolm

Did someone have a stroke?

It sounds to me like there is a risk of choking.  

Honored Contributor

My mother has signed a DNR order; her doctor has signed off on it, and this document has been registered with the State of WV.   Registering the document means that any facility treating my mother can access this document for information on her last wishes.    Instructions suggest posting this document in plain sight to help alert any responding EMS personnel; Moms order is posted on her refrigerator.     

It is my understanding first responders must follow the instructions UNLESS the patient actually voices otherwise.  

Honored Contributor

I have a will and directives documentation package. My directives are also posted on my fridge.  I live alone so it's important to me to make it visible to anyone who comes in my house.

Valued Contributor

My mother in law had her DNR posted in the kitchen.  She lived alone and did it in the hope that if first responders came and she was alone in the house and unable to verbalize her wishes they would see it.

Trusted Contributor

The ones we have here are I think NY forms and they are neon pink. They are supposed to be put someplace noticeable because they are supposed to be followed by medical personnel. You're also supposed to bring it with you if you go to the hospital for something and it would be made known to the hospital employees.

Honored Contributor

I live in FL and I was told when I filled out my paperwork for the community files that I should put any important documents, DNR, etc. in this container in my freezer.

Apparently, the paramedics here are instructed to look in freezer for these documents if person is unresponsive.  Now, I know why when I used to visit my FIL he had them in his freezer (duplicates).  Originals in safe.

I have mine in a lock n lock in my freezer folded with my emergency contacts and DNR.  Hope I won't need to use it anytime soon.

Respected Contributor

DH has DNR papers in a folder with a magnet on the back which is on the side of our fridge. He was under hospice care earlier this year and we were instructed to place these papers on the fridge for emergency personnel.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

In Florida the DNR is posted on the refrigerator or on the persons bed headboard. That is so the EMS can find it fast.