Honored Contributor

This makes me so sad to hear.

The popularity of low carb diets are on the rise.

Obesity is on the rise.

Diabetes is on the rise.

Heart Disease is on the rise.

Colon cancer is on the rise.

There's a correlation.

High fiber...high PLANT fiber...is key.

And....a doctor suggesting a stool softener? 

I think I did a small 'gasp' after I read that!

How is this medical 'professional' still practicing??

Again, Low Fat Whole Food Plant Based diet for optimum health.

Every.

single.

time.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack, His doctor couldn't complete the colonoscopy since the instrument only could go so far due to how that area was shaped. At that time the doctor told him about the diverticuitis. 

I'm up my usual time he could sleep another 3 hrs. He was in bed all day yesterday. We will need to see where he is today.

I appreciate the comments, thank you.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@NickNack, His doctor couldn't complete the colonoscopy since the instrument only could go so far due to how that area was shaped. At that time the doctor told him about the diverticuitis. 

I'm up my usual time he could sleep another 3 hrs. He was in bed all day yesterday. We will need to see where he is today.

I appreciate the comments, thank you.

That's too bad @qualitygal.  I've never heard of anything like that.  I'm sorry it couldn't be completed.  I hope he feels better soon.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor
Keep this brief, There is no getting around the facts. We are what we eat. Sidemom articulated best. More veggies and fruit also complex carbs which is different than simple useless carbs. Don't say this to scare you or your husband. Colon health has everything to do with what we eat, a least large number. Bonus! Feel better and elimation of toxins helps immensely preventing other illness. There is wealth of information online. Keep you and DH in my thoughts. Please stay in touch.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diverticulitis he says

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  I had the same thing happen, he had to use a pediatric scope but got far enough to see my problem.

I had surgery to have that section of the colon removed.  I was on a "no fiber" and stool softeners because they wanted the colon to heal and laxatives and fiber cause them to use action to push the food through.

I had the surgery, had another colonoscopy and saw the oncologist yesterday and NO CANCER or diverticular disease.

Even so, everything I have posted has been contradicted, my Doctor called stupid and told I'm not too smart.

I AM CANCER FREE....it worked!   

Esteemed Contributor

From WebMD

1. If you have a mild case and see your doctor right away, it’s pretty easy to treat. She’ll likely advise you to rest and take a course of antibiotics by mouth. She might suggest a mild pain reliever like acetaminophen (Tylenol).

2. She may put you on a liquid or “diverticulitis diet.” You’ll start by drinking only clear liquids, such as water, broth, non-pulpy juices, ice pops, and plain tea or coffee. As you start to feel better, you can add low-fiber foods such as eggs, yogurt, and cheese, and white rice and pasta. These foods are gentle on your digestive system.

3. This treatment works well for most people who have clear-cut cases of diverticulitis.
Honored Contributor

I have been sick a lot this past year.  This diverticular stuff is kind of confusing to me. My diagnosis is "severe narrowing of the colon due to a build up of diverticular pockets in descending and sigmoid colon". The odd part is, to my knowledge, I have never had diverticulosis or diverticulitis?? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diverticulitis he says

[ Edited ]

According to my Doctors, you have diverticulosis.   That is when the diverticula are irritated and swollen.

When they get infected (hope you don't go there) it is diverticulitis.   

What does the suffix mean?

-osis. Suffix meaning a process, condition, or state, usually abnormal or diseased.

-itis.   Suffix meaning inflammation. For example, colitis is literally colon inflammation or figuratively inflammation of the colon. 

Get better soon!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills

Thank you.  I had been on Miralax 7 days a week. I did feel better but, my goodness, I am fairly confined to my home 90% of the time.  I cut back on the Miralax recently and am now taking something recommended to me by a health store owner called Fiber Smart by Renew Life ( for sensitive colons). It is gluten free, promotes regularity, and supports intestinal health.  My gastro doctor is fine with that and has me on a digestive enzyme and probiotics also.    I see my gastro NP next week to see where we go from here.  I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy just a few months ago and that is when they found the narrowing and also a large hiatal hernia.  They did tell me that the next colonoscopy they will need to use a pediascope.  I have pretty much quit eating bread and carbohydrates and am doing more veges and softer fruits. Have also added a Fiberall cereal for breakfast.  I think they are having trouble figuring out which symptoms are caused by the hernia and which by the intestinal trouble.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to say and forgot to.....I think cutting out all the bread and pasta has helped me a lot.  Maybe more than all the other things I've tried.  Try it.  I think it might surprise you....it did me!  It has helped a lot with the bloating, too.