Honored Contributor

DH is in bed today, sick. We learned he has this after an almost colonoscopy. Hope I can convince him to go back to more fruit. He's eating low carb to help him with his weight, but on the other hand, maybe he's not eating enough roughage. So when he's better, we need to rethink how he's eating. Anyone else dealing with diverticulitis?

Esteemed Contributor

My husband just experienced his third bout of diverticulitis. At this point we know the signs so we can contact our internist, see someone in the practice, get the proper meds, and overcome the episode. Fortunately my husband is fine now and we can go to our kids and friends in Florida this week without illness.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diverticulitis he says

[ Edited ]

There is quite a lot of discussion on here about diverticulitis.  

There is also as many opinions as there are posters.  It is a complicated problem.

Some people have diverticulosis which is a disease of the colon and when it gets infected it becomes diverticulitis.

There is an acute diverticulitis that attacks like appendicitis.  No warning, lots of pain and nausea and requires IV antibiotics to get rid of.  Complications are common.  Mine required surgery because of a perforation in the colon.

I was put on a "no fiber" diet and others say to eat all the fiber you can, just no seeds.

Hope your husband recovers quickly.  Get professional help for his diet and care.  Even the doctors sometimes disagree.  Take care of yourself.  This could be a long journey!

Respected Contributor

My Mother had it, she was in the hospital about a year and a half ago because of it.  And I have a cousin who is in the hospital right now since Thursday with it....she also got an abscess because of it. 

Respected Contributor

Diverticulitis and diverticulosis are different diagnoses.

Diverticulitis is usually pretty serious and one is SICK.  It usually requires a hospital stay, and sometimes surgery (temporary colostomy) and antibiotics.  My uncle recently went through this.  It is an infection of diverticula.

Diverticulosis is the presence of diverticula in the colon.  It does not have infection.

Anyway, these are different!

Hyacinth  (RN)

Honored Contributor

Re: Diverticulitis he says

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

DH is in bed today, sick. We learned he has this after an almost colonoscopy. Hope I can convince him to go back to more fruit. He's eating low carb to help him with his weight, but on the other hand, maybe he's not eating enough roughage. So when he's better, we need to rethink how he's eating. Anyone else dealing with diverticulitis?

I'm so sorry your husband is sick with this.  I have diverticulosis and have had a diverticulitis attack where I ended up in the hospital.  I did not have to have surgery.  This was many years ago.  Did your husband have a colonoscopy?  I wasn't sure what you meant by "an amost colonoscopy."

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

My husband has diverticulitis.  The first time he had it, he wound up in the hospital.  The advice he got there was so confusing.  The doctor gave us all kinds of info about what he should eat and what he should not eat.  Then a dietitian/nutritionist came in and honestly told us almost the exact opposite of what the doctor had said. 

We just looked at her and told her the doctor said something totally different.  Then she said that truthfully they do not know what foods really can cause diverticulitis attacks.  She said it was really up to each person to figure out what is best for them.

My husband has had quite a few more attacks over the years.  None required hospitalization again.  But there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as far as what specific foods he eats that cause a flare up.  Very strange disease to figure out. 

Trusted Contributor

My husband had to have part of his colon removed because of this.  It kept getting infected and was prescribed antiobiotics many times.  He never ate breakfast or lunch or any fiber.  Then almost 5 years ago he got stage 1 colon cancer and more of his colon removed.  Your husband should definitely stay away from strawberries, popcorn and anything that contains seeds as that will worsen it.  He should be taking fiber pills or Metamucil.  This is extremely important.  I wouldn't worry about the fruit.  Definitely get to a doctor if he's having pain.

Esteemed Contributor

And my doctor told me to use a stool softener and not to use fiber supplements or laxatives.  

The majority of people over 60 have diverticula in the colon.  They are small pockets in the lining.  When one gets irritated, you have a problem.

Honored Contributor
@Vivian Florimond
I am glad he is ok and that you will be able to make the trip!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~