Honored Contributor

Re: Diverticulitis he says

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

I wanted to say and forgot to.....I think cutting out all the bread and pasta has helped me a lot.  Maybe more than all the other things I've tried.  Try it.  I think it might surprise you....it did me!  It has helped a lot with the bloating, too.

Came back to leave comment on this very topic! Truly amazing!! Life changing!! Not only weight loss, transformed my body. Like you! Bloated swollen every inch of me. From head to toe!! By product also no more fog brain. Mention not to forget water herb tea flushing system. Finally, inflammation is preventable.
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity

Yes!  I drink a lot of water and have been drinking an herbal digestive aid tea which I think is helping.  Because of my hernia the doctor said loosing 20 lbs. would help. I have lost 16 lbs! I think giving up bread and pasta has done that.  I would like to lose 20 lbs. more and get back to my medium size.  I was on a medicine that made me gain weight and I can't exercise to the point I would like....bummer.  Although I have always been a fairly good eater, I got into the habit of eating more bread than I should.

More fiber is very beneficial.  If you can't eat it raw, I have found I can cook it just a little and eat it a bit softer and still get the benefits.  Soluble or insoluble.....it's good!  My cereal has 14 grams of fiber per 1/2 c.  I have never been a big cereal eater but I REALLY notice a big difference when I eat it.  I have to put berries or bananas on it because I don't like it .  Looking at it as a medicine that benefits me greatly helps me get it down.  I may live long or I may not.  I'm not worried about that but I do want to feel as good as I can on my journey and that means "doing my part" to accomplish it.

To all of the ladies going through this....I feel your pain.  I have been in the emergency room these past few months and it's no picnic.  In fact, l have longed for Heaven and death more than once.  My dear mother has had to remind me   "not to be so heavenly minded that I'm no earthly good!!!!   She is 87 so she knows a bit about life and pain.

Congratulations on your weight loss, Sweet Serenity!!!!!!  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

DH is in bed today, sick. We learned he has this after an almost colonoscopy. Hope I can convince him to go back to more fruit. He's eating low carb to help him with his weight, but on the other hand, maybe he's not eating enough roughage. So when he's better, we need to rethink how he's eating. Anyone else dealing with diverticulitis?

@qualitygal

He probably has diverticulosis.  Diverticulitis would mean infection and immediate hospitalization with IV antibiotics for five days to prevent peritonitis.  It is excruciatingly painful.

Diverticulosis is chronic but can lead to diverticulitis if left untreated.  It is nothing to play around with.

I never had diverticulosis, but I had five diverticulitis infections over a period of several years and I made the decision to have surgery to remove that part of my colon (six inches), since it always surfaced in the same place.  That was twelve years ago and I haven't had it again since.

I hope he plans to see a doctor.  This should not be self-diagnosed.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@NickNack, His doctor couldn't complete the colonoscopy since the instrument only could go so far due to how that area was shaped. At that time the doctor told him about the diverticuitis. 

I'm up my usual time he could sleep another 3 hrs. He was in bed all day yesterday. We will need to see where he is today.

I appreciate the comments, thank you.

That's too bad @qualitygal.  I've never heard of anything like that.  I'm sorry it couldn't be completed.  I hope he feels better soon.

@NickNack

The doctor told him he had diverticulitis and did not treat it?  That's malpractice, IMO.  Please be sure you have been told the right thing.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

According to my Doctors, you have diverticulosis.   That is when the diverticula are irritated and swollen.

When they get infected (hope you don't go there) it is diverticulitis.   

What does the suffix mean?

-osis. Suffix meaning a process, condition, or state, usually abnormal or diseased.

-itis.   Suffix meaning inflammation. For example, colitis is literally colon inflammation or figuratively inflammation of the colon. 

Get better soon!

@Zhills

Exactly correct!

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@NickNack, His doctor couldn't complete the colonoscopy since the instrument only could go so far due to how that area was shaped. At that time the doctor told him about the diverticuitis. 

I'm up my usual time he could sleep another 3 hrs. He was in bed all day yesterday. We will need to see where he is today.

That's too bad @qualitygal.  I've never heard of anything like that.  I'm sorry it couldn't be completed.  I hope he feels better soon.

@NickNack

The doctor told him he had diverticulitis and did not treat it?  That's malpractice, IMO.  Please be sure you have been told the right thing.

@LilacTree  I think you meant for your reply to go to @qualitygal.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thanks gals. I'm throwing up my hands on this, now he thinks it was a urinary infection.  He doesn't have M.D. behind his name and he won't go to the doctor. I won't go on and on.........................suffice it to say, we'll see.

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@NickNack

@LilacTree  I think you meant for your reply to go to @qualitygal.

@NickNack

Yeah, I did . . . apologies to both of you!!

Formerly Ford1224
Valued Contributor

I had my first bout of this last year.  I wasn't feeling well and my temp was 101 which is high for me.  I had a pain in my left groin area and called my GI doctor.  He said if the temp goes higher to let him know.  It went down the next day but I had such  pain in my left side.  His office called me and said to come in that day if I was worse.  He said I probably had an infection starting and my immune system got rid of it.  I have to admit that I've had some pain in that area over the past years but thought I just pulled a muscle.  I think once you feel that pain you know what it is the next time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diverticulitis he says

[ Edited ]

Please don't let "next time" ever happen!  Worst experience ever!