Respected Contributor

I'm just going to add a food item that I don't see mentioned much but it is what put me in the hospital...poppy seeds! Who would of thought? I can eat any and all of the other problem foods associated with diverticular disease with no issues. Not this one...it's the devil!!! 👿  

Honored Contributor

Different advice abounds:  My gastroenterologist told me that seeds and nuts were okay to eat.  

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Diverticuli are common as we age. I have them, too. Many may not know they have them, until they have their first episode, or they're noted during colonoscopy. 

Some people have more frequent episodes, while others may avoid such with careful diets. During, and for a short time after an episode, it's best to eat a low fiber diet to allow your bowels to recover. Sometimes even a liquid diet may be necessary for short term. After healing you can slowly begin adding back more fiber.

Many can reduce episodes (myself included) by avoiding foods that can become entrapped in the diverticuli resulting in infection, or inflammation.

I was advised to avoid nuts and seeds, even to remove skins from fruits and vegetables (including tomatoes). Popcorn is a big NO due to the hulls. Some hearty whole grains can be a problem, too.

In addition, processed meats, red meat, full fat dairy and fried foods may provoke an episode for some. For myself, not so much, but I don't eat these foods often. For me, it's the high fiber of certain items and those skins and seeds. 

If you do an online search, you will find many lists for what you need to avoid and what you should be eating. It begins to make sense when you remember that fiber of skins, seeds, nuts, etc., doesn't break down like other foods. It's good for regularity, but these fibers can stop off to visit a diverticuli and you're in trouble.

It sounds difficult to manage, but actually it isn't.  You'll get the hang of it and you can still have a very healthy, enjoyable diet with some modifications.

They have now changed that, you can eat nuts. I have had it for years and I eat everything.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for the great information on this horrible diseaseJo.1313

You have been through alot  you take care.

Valued Contributor

And I might add that popcorn sent me to the Er.

Valued Contributor

Re: Diverticolitis

[ Edited ]

@YouGoGirl1 ..thank you for the good wishes..

2 more big surgeries in the spring/summer..

You just never know when something serious will hit you.

One thing always leads to another..and the more they look..the more they find!!

Wishing you and everyone a wonderful Christmas Season and a Happy and HEALTHY New Year.

Valued Contributor

Jo1313, Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Also wishing you great success on your upcoming surgeries.

I'm feeling much better after seeing my Dr. on the 23rd. I was told to start 

Using Metamucil and watching my diet. I've lost 8 lbs. Which is a good thing.

I ways you take care.....