Valued Contributor

Does anyone here have condition, just found out I have it. What do you eat after 1st. Flare-up. Dietitian is only in on Mondays. I'm confused about different websites saying I can eat this and that and others saying something different. TIA for any help on this.

Esteemed Contributor

Here are some examples of low-fiber foods:

• Cooked red meat, fish, or poultry
  • Eggs
  • Dairy products, such as milk, ice cream, cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt (as long as they don't contain fruits or nuts)
  • Well-cooked fresh or canned vegetables that don't have skins or seeds.
  • Lettuce
  • Canned or cooked fruit with no skin or seeds
  • Ripe bananas, melons, and peaches without skin
  • Fruit juices without pulp
  • Applesauce
  • Refined white breads
  • White rice or white pasta
  • Saltine crackers

Some foods you should NOT eat while on a low-fiber diet:

• Whole grains, such as bran, oatmeal, and brown rice
  • Whole wheat pasta
  • Whole wheat or whole-grain breads
  • Any foods that have seeds or nuts
  • Any raw vegetables (except for lettuce)
  • Foods that cause gas, such as brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower (raw or cooked)
  • Corn
  • Granola
  • Lentils, split peas, and beans such as black or red beans
  • Berries
  • Dried fruit, such as prunes, raisins, or figs
  • Raw fruit, except for ripe bananas, melons, and peaches without skin
  • Popcorn

Hope this helps!

Respected Contributor

Diverticuli are common as we age. I have them, too. Many may not know they have them, until they have their first episode, or they're noted during colonoscopy. 

Some people have more frequent episodes, while others may avoid such with careful diets. During, and for a short time after an episode, it's best to eat a low fiber diet to allow your bowels to recover. Sometimes even a liquid diet may be necessary for short term. After healing you can slowly begin adding back more fiber.

Many can reduce episodes (myself included) by avoiding foods that can become entrapped in the diverticuli resulting in infection, or inflammation.

I was advised to avoid nuts and seeds, even to remove skins from fruits and vegetables (including tomatoes). Popcorn is a big NO due to the hulls. Some hearty whole grains can be a problem, too.

In addition, processed meats, red meat, full fat dairy and fried foods may provoke an episode for some. For myself, not so much, but I don't eat these foods often. For me, it's the high fiber of certain items and those skins and seeds. 

If you do an online search, you will find many lists for what you need to avoid and what you should be eating. It begins to make sense when you remember that fiber of skins, seeds, nuts, etc., doesn't break down like other foods. It's good for regularity, but these fibers can stop off to visit a diverticuli and you're in trouble.

It sounds difficult to manage, but actually it isn't.  You'll get the hang of it and you can still have a very healthy, enjoyable diet with some modifications.

Respected Contributor

I have it and yes  found in a Colonoscopy.  They never have bothered me at all so fortunate.  I never would have known otherwise.

I try to take Metamucil  2 T. a day, daily.  My cousin had a hospitalization after a painful flare up and uses Mira Lax.  Easier to use as blends in any liquid, but my Dr. said Metamucil. I don't often eat popcorn or choose the kind without hulls. 

It sounds like alot of posters have some great advice from their experiences. We get told to fiber up and now not so good? Can't win.

Honored Contributor

Are you on an antibiotic?  Often prescribed for acute cases.  

No fiber is recommended during the acute phase for a few days, then slowly add low fiber and higher fiber later.

See Mayo Clinic for reliable information.  

Honored Contributor

Just my opinion....I would juice fast until Monday.  Unfortunately, you will get different opinions... I know what would be right for me.  Trust your body, it will let you know.  Continue your research, so you can ask questions of your physician.  There will be varying opinions, only you will know what is right.

Valued Contributor

Re: Diverticolitis

[ Edited ]

Baked potatoes worked well for me with butter and sour cream ... and soup.  I also found ice cream helpful but then again I ALWAYS find ice cream helpful ...  break a nail, boo boo on my knee ...  

Valued Contributor

I had flares for years..I ate Farina and cottage cheese for weeks at a time.No ruffage,nuts or seeds..no soda,no acids like juice or tomato sauce,etc...nothing gassy...Oh and NO stress!!..LOL

3 yrs. ago I thought I had a flare..This time I needed the ER..I had a ruptured colon! I was in septic shock.. If I stayed home 2 more days..I was told I would have been dead.I had a colostomy..when it was time to try to reverse it 10 months later..I still had an infection and needed an illiostomy..The poision from my colon was so bad I almost lost my leg!..I spent 5 months in a regular hospital and 4 months in rehab..to learn how to walk again!.I never thought I was going to come home..Finally after 2 years..I was "all fixed".

I eat a very bland diet..I am so afraid that it might happen again.

I couldn't go through that again and I would never want my family to see me like that again.

After all that I decided to give up my business.

Respected Contributor

I had 3 episodes of diverticulitis YEARS ago... I mean around age 35.  (I'm now 73.)  After the third bout, a surgeon told me I needed to get a portion of my colon removed.  PAINFUL surgery, but I haven't had a problem since.  I was very careful with seeds for years.  Now I'm not careful and I haven't had a recurrence.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

My brother had it. after 3 bouts that put him the hospital, he had surgery. that was about 5 years ago maybe--been fine ever since. He couldn't afford to miss so much time from work--was in the hospital 3 days each time, then a day or 2 to recover.