Esteemed Contributor

Re: Discontinuing hormone/estrogen

I would not advise quitting your hormones cold turkey. The best way to come off of HRT is to wean off. Its too much of an abrupt change to stop it all at once. I did that and regretted it. There was lots of hot flashes, hair loss, weight gain, mood swings....to name a few. 

Trusted Contributor

I’ve been on the patch, plus progesterone pills, since I still have my uterus and ovaries for 15 years. I tried weaning myself all, and my doctor told me I was doing it wrong. So I went back on. I take the smallest dosage .025 for the patch. 

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal---congrats sister survivor!! Woman Wink I have 3 more years of tamox. I take that instead of what you take due to some pretty gnarly side effects---still achey tho but never had hot flashes. those came and went before I was dx with breast cancer in 2012 at age 59. FYI--have started taking a condroitin, glucosimine supplement that works really well for me.

Contributor

I was on hormones about 8 or 9 years. Then the study came out about the link between breast cancer and hormones. My doctors removed the hormones immediately as my Mom had breast cancer. I’ve not had a decent night’s sleep since. I felt great on the hormones. I begged to go back on them but then my sister developed breast cancer.  I’ve had hot flashes and insomnia since the hormones were removed. I would love to find a doctor who would prescribe them for me again. 

Respected Contributor

I was on the patch for 10 years. When I stopped—skin aged, facial hair, vaginal atrophy, frequent urination,

utis, etc.

Was put on a very very small amount of Premarin 2x

weekly and that has helped tremendously.

Everyone is different one size doesn’t fit all.

Respected Contributor

@IMW wrote:

I was on the patch for 10 years. When I stopped—skin aged, facial hair, vaginal atrophy, frequent urination,

utis, etc.

Was put on a very very small amount of Premarin 2x

weekly and that has helped tremendously.

Everyone is different one size doesn’t fit all.

Thank you for sharing. I had an easy monopause. I took traditional HRT for about 2 years then BioIdentical for 2-3 yrs followed by Vagifem 2-3 yrs. I decided I just don't need this! Now it is 5 years later and I want help with the dryness and frequent urination. 

I will be asking my gyno for my options. There has to be a safe effective option for our symptoms.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went off my BCPs and my symptoms came back. I'm back on, but at a slightly lower dose. It's enough to manage the symptoms. Yes, if estrogen is discontinued it will result in changes in your skin.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

@pegsue wrote:

Of course I am going to talk to my PC but what happens when you discontinue esstrogen?  I was placed on Estradiol patches awhile back as I complained of night sweats (which I never believed in, lol) and breast tenderness.  Of course that went away but I am wanting to quit the patch.  I am wondering what experiences anyone has had, what I can expect.  For example, will the night sweats come back?  Will the tenderness come back?  Will I show changes in my skin, i.e. wrinkles, aging, etc.  And do you just quit taking it, or do you taper off.  TIA for any replies.

Please talk to your doctor before you do anything. A friend of mine went cold turkey off of HRT and didn't sleep for a month, lost a lot of weight, and had many other negative side effects.

Valued Contributor

For night sweats after menopause my Mom ran the air conditioner on high cool year round, and every room was air conditioned and comfortable.

Of course she still left the heat on when it was cold so we would remain warm in the winter, and we all still had the option to run the A/C whenever we needed to.

Respected Contributor

@GiantsLover wrote:

For night sweats after menopause my Mom ran the air conditioner on high cool year round, and every room was air conditioned and comfortable.

Of course she still left the heat on when it was cold so we would remain warm in the winter, and we all still had the option to run the A/C whenever we needed to.

It is not the sweating that we are concerned about. Hormones have long term risks (as discussed). But not taking hormones also has consequences ie v dryness, urinary and bladder issues and others. 

Hormones can be taken in several forms from Premarin to BioIdenticals, from oral to patch to creams and others. What we are sharing are experieces related to taking and not taking hormones. 

After age 65, many insurance companies decide that we are too old to "need" hormones. UHC (AARP) raised the price of Vagifem to $50.00 per tab. $400 for an Rx for 8 tabs. The doc changed it to estrogen cream which comes with a "black box warning" So that is the discussion. How much risk we take to address some uncomfortable medical issues vs the potential deadly side effects.