Esteemed Contributor

Re: Discontinuing hormone/estrogen

[ Edited ]

@pegsue 

@granddi 

@IMW 

I did bioidentical hormones for probably close to 15 years.  No side affects and felt great.  Menopause started at age 50.

Fast forward to 2014 and I had irregular bleeding after starting menopause so long story short, complete hysterectomy after a tumor discovered in my utereus...then another surgery to remove lymph nodes to make sure cancer had not spread.  Thankfully, it had not. No radiation recommended.  

Gyn said trouble was "likely" due to the hormones, but cannot say for sure, of course.  Cautioned me against continuing to take bioidenticals, so I stopped.  Said, if they had removed everything FIRST and hadn't found a tumor, I could likely continue.  But, since they found a tumor, I would be tossing the dice that cancer might return.  Again, I only have his word. 

So, when I stopped the hormones, I did have some hot flashes and other negative sideaffects.  

I continued to use Vagifem and now, the generic, Yuvafem, but it's not like it was when I was doing a full on hormone therapy.  It helps but....

Yes, the first time I heard "vaginal atrophy" from the GYN, I knew the picnic was over Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi 

There is a generic for Vagifem that I take. 

It is called Yuvafem.

Valued Contributor

My family all prefers natural remedies to help if possible, or just using common sense and making your environment more environmentally friendly.

Of course if a medical condition does occur, seeking medical advise would be wise to enact first and foremost.

Honored Contributor

I was on the pills for a very long time. They were short of considered to be  a wonder drug of sorts, for women back in the day.

When the bad news started filtering in, I stopped cold turkey. I never seemed to have an adverse reaction when I did

Esteemed Contributor

I did my research in advance and even thirty years ago the evidence was convincing. I never took HRT. I have only two friends who were on HRT longterm. One had breast cancer. The other had endometrial cancer. Sure, it can be coincidence, but I’m not convinced. For those on HRT now, speak to your doctor about getting off the stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  Congrats to you too!  I know the meds can be tough on us, I'm just happy to be here to have this conversation!  Thanks for the tip regarding the glucosimine, I will give it  a try.  I was diagnosed at age 53 in 2014 and finished chemo and radiation March 2015, that's when I started the Arimidex.  Best wishes and stay healthy!

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal--back at you, friend !!!! Heart

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

My breast surgeon would not put me on it because it could cause breast tumors & after surgery & radiation I didn’t want any more problems.

@January121  Same here - I've never been on anything bc my mother died of breast cancer and her tumor's makeup appeared it was estrogen fueled.  Doctor told me that due to family history - I should avoid at all costs.  Really driven home when I myself also battled breast cancer prior to menopause.  I never had any real issues.