Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,247
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Diovan, valsartan recalled today

Diovan is a blood pressure med.  i just found out today the FDA has recalled it. For weeks they have been saying a cancer causing toxin was found in valsartan in 22 countries, but not US.  There has been illness and a death.  Today FDA did recall it here in US. It is generic Diovan, called valsartan..  Call your pharmacist, if they haven't already called or mailed you a letter.  They will check and see if it is one of the batches, or manufacturers that is under recall.  Makes me so mad.  I wondered why last month I have been getting nauseous after taking it.  I am highly sensitive to many chemicals, I eat organic and fairly clean.   I am not taking it for 3 days, have appt with Dr this coming Thursday.

It used to made in US, but they farmed it out to china a while back, and they say something mislabeled might have been added .  That makes me feels so comfortable about my medications. 😡

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,646
Registered: ‎03-27-2010

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty  All blood pressure (prescriptive) meds have negative side effects.  Years ago I was regularly in the emergency room for breathing treatments while on Lisinopril for Hbp.  If you are eating "clean" and organic, the toxic side effects will be exacerbated. (I eat a clean lifestyle and my body lets me know when I've consumed a toxic substance.) I could write a lot about this issue, but I would rather be the peace maker than the pot stirrer.  You can find a lot of research on this subject and there are natural ayurvedic herbs and lifestyles that will cure high blood pressure.  I wish you well and a speedy release of this toxic product from your system.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,536
Registered: ‎09-06-2014

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today

I've been on that med for years and will call the pharmacist today.  Thanks for posting that information. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,573
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today


@Catty2 wrote:

I've been on that med for years and will call the pharmacist today.  Thanks for posting that information. 


So have I!  Time to call my doctor.

 

@shoekitty . Thanks for the heads up on this! I would have never known!

 

I just checked my bottle and mine have been manufactured by a company (it's in small lettering on the bottle) called Aurobindo Pharma based in India.  The offending compainies are based in China. I had no idea really that these generic drugs are mostly based in China & India!  The name brands are so expensive.

 

However I still plan on calling my pharmacy since I'm due to pick up a refill.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,573
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today


@phoenixbrd wrote:

@shoekitty  All blood pressure (prescriptive) meds have negative side effects.  Years ago I was regularly in the emergency room for breathing treatments while on Lisinopril for Hbp.  If you are eating "clean" and organic, the toxic side effects will be exacerbated. (I eat a clean lifestyle and my body lets me know when I've consumed a toxic substance.) I could write a lot about this issue, but I would rather be the peace maker than the pot stirrer.  You can find a lot of research on this subject and there are natural ayurvedic herbs and lifestyles that will cure high blood pressure.  I wish you well and a speedy release of this toxic product from your system.


@phoenixbrd . Are you no longer taking BP meds?  I also eat all organic.  What did you do or take to wean yourself off of them?

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,394
Registered: ‎06-25-2012

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today


@phoenixbrd wrote:

@shoekitty  All blood pressure (prescriptive) meds have negative side effects.  Years ago I was regularly in the emergency room for breathing treatments while on Lisinopril for Hbp.  If you are eating "clean" and organic, the toxic side effects will be exacerbated. (I eat a clean lifestyle and my body lets me know when I've consumed a toxic substance.) I could write a lot about this issue, but I would rather be the peace maker than the pot stirrer.  You can find a lot of research on this subject and there are natural ayurvedic herbs and lifestyles that will cure high blood pressure.  I wish you well and a speedy release of this toxic product from your system.


This is bogus information you are spreading. For some people eating herbs and living a certain lifestyle will never cure hbp. Its like people telling me that I caused my own type 1 diabetes. Ridiculous.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,646
Registered: ‎03-27-2010

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today

[ Edited ]

@haddon9  I tried to be discreet ....  I am living proof of my words but really don't want to encourage dissension.  I'll just say "clean" lifestyle and Carditone (both my husband and I live a precription drug free life today, but I continue to monitor BP daily).  I support everyone doing what they feel is best for themselves.

Haddon, I wish you and all members of the board the very best.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 755
Registered: ‎06-01-2010

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today

[ Edited ]

I may be reading this wrong, but I was under the impression that only certain manufacturers of Valsarta are being recalled.

 

http://www.fox5dc.com/health/fda-issues-recall-for-blood-pressure-medication-due-to-cancer-risk

 

Since this is such important information that could literally save a life, I’m hoping QVC will allow this link.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,656
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for this information!  I have been on Diovan for years and the generic for close to three years.  I am calling the pharmacy today.  I had no idea.

 

 

ETA:  Just checked and mine is manufactured by MACLEODS but I am still calling the pharmacy at Optum. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,573
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today


@phoenixbrd wrote:

@haddon9  I tried to be discreet ....  I am living proof of my words but really don't want to encourage dissension.  I'll just say "clean" lifestyle and Carditone (both my husband and I live a precription drug free life today, but I continue to monitor BP daily).  I support everyone doing what they feel is best for themselves.

Haddon, I wish you and all members of the board the very best.


@phoenixbrd . Thank you & I understand.  Everyone is always quick to say talk to you doctor who  will just prescribe more meds.  I'll look into Carditone.