Honored Contributor

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today

@Tinkrbl44

I had a 3 month supply, and there is 6 left, so I have been taking the toxic batch for nearly three months.  I noticed about the same time I started this batch I would get queasy About 15 20 mins later.  A headache, a little bit.  My body felt nauseous, not flu bad.. But enough to notice. It would last an hour, some days longer.  I am not a headache person, it is rare for me.  So after the first 2 weeks I would take it at 5 am, when I got up to use restroom.  Then I went back to sleep.  This helped.  I was going to mention this to Dr at my next appt, when I got notice of the tainted pills.  I read the article in NYT, and CNN online.

i haven't taken the bad batch for 3 days now.  Today I started the safe Diovan, and felt better.  It is scary.  What makes me angry is the insurance wont let you get the company of your choice.  You have to get the cheapest.  And as we know the price of medication goes up and down like the stock market.  I asked at  one time to pay for the name brand, ambien, and not be given generic.  They will not do it.  You have to pay the whole amount of name brand, they dont share.  the name brand is sometimes 200 -300 more.  Who wants to do that.  What a crisis we are with medical care.  It just gets worse in some areas.  They improve in some ways, then decline in others.  ****** shoot

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Mine is valsartan with the water pill. It is manufactured in Malta. Husbands is just the valsartan and manufactured in China. His is on the recall list.

@proudlyfromNJ

Hmm .....   Is that the Valsartan/HCTZ ?   I called my pharmacist today and he said they are pulling all versions .....  won't be able to get it anymore.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I do eat good.  I don't use salt, I get ot in foods I eat, I eat pretty plain,but good. High in vegetable, plant base and  season with natural herbs and such.  I am 71, and have steadily lost weight the last year by eating what I want, when I want...its just what I choose to eat. I eat organic whole foods.  My kids say it is weird food, but I like it.  My granddaughters are following my footsteps.  BUT i have high blood pressure, and it is irregular.  My mother is 98, and hasn't taken meds her whole life until last 2 years for Altzheimers, and the psychosis 

some people like me had a "good time" in the late 60's and early 70's, and are paying the price for it now!

I also had radiation for breast cancer 15 years ago, and high bp started then as damage to veins.  Sigh.  Luckily I did not take the cancer drugs, as I didn't feel it was relevant to my age group and situation.  I took 3 T flax seed daily, and here I am.

but many people have high blood pressure for reasons other than obesity, poor diet.  They just get it.  They are lean, eat right, good environment. Most of My friends are health nuts, athletes and fitness people.. And it happens.  I think sometimes it is environmental, and in Dna

sometimes I think with baby boomers we were exposed to so many toxins, and lead, and such when we were born through the 70's when things started to change for the better. When I was little the government let off toxic gas off  the bay near SF.  People got sick there was even one death. I remember a family member watching the atomic bomb go off in Nevada. I mean, who thought wayching the atomic bombs go off was safe? 🙀  I think it can take years for somethings  to show up in our bodies.  

Food and exercise changes can be changed slowly if someone is adverse.  One day just eliminate one thing.  The next week another, and so forth.  Nothing happens overnight. Suddenly it is habit and part of a lifestyle.

that said, there are those who do try so hard, I know people who try, and try again and it doesn't happen. I cannot place  any fault to anyone who Trys. We are all so different. 

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty

I appreciate the response.  Hopefully your kids will adopt

your good habits!  Organic is important, but in the case of

high blood pressure, it really wouldn’t factor in.  

Would you be able to expand on the idea of what eating good

means to you?  What does a day of eating look like?

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty-

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I eat some fish, from US, and not farmed.  I driink what I call the Grunge, sludge" drink. It consists of raw kale, unsweetened frozen acai pulp, blueberries, spinach, broccoli,   sometimes with beet root to help with BP.  Tastes interesting, 😚I add flax seed.  I eat cauliflower rice, almonds, almost all nuts. I eat salads with raw veggies, every kind, as I love salad.I make vegetarian indian food a lot as I love the spice.  I use a lot of tumeric. Once in a while I have chicken, but I am loosing my taste for it. Oh i do splurge on a piece of cake , and mcconnels ice cream.here and there.  I like the vegan strawberry.  When I travel, I usually just go for it.  I feel like crud, but each time I do it, I am finding I loose my taste for it.  I eat when I want to. 

The idea of organic is not just the gmo, pesticide, clean water  issue.  I love supporting small farms and most of it tastes better.to me. I live in California so there is a plethora of veggies and foods year round.

Honored Contributor

My pharmacist said there are good manufacturers of Diovan they can replace pills with.  Problem is, imuch of is back order. There is run on it, and they cant fill orders as they send first come first serve

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@LIG1 wrote:

Oh gosh, I take this as well.. many thanks @shoekitty for the info. I can't believe that my pharmacy hadn't tried to contact me, especially knowing of the recall. And no doubt that there is a run on the name brand, Diovan... yikes, I'm due for a refill in just a couple of days. 

@LIG1  You know i read it in newspaper and called pharmacy and Dr.  But to this day I have not received a warning from my pharmacy!  It doesnt matter if it is generic or name brand, it is certain drug companies that are recalled.

i gather that at a certain heating temp, this toxic cancer causing chemical, NDMA occurs.  It is not an added ingredient, it occurs in the manufacturing process I understand. It is a toxin that is on the list of cancer causing drugs.  I think the liver cant  filter it.  I am sure in the dose, we are not at dire risk.  But it is not a good thing, and a risk I am not ok with at all.  Here I watch what I eat, avoid toxins, pesticides, gmos and all sorts of things,  i have vein damage and moderatly high blood pressure that could not be lowered by diet or exercise.   Then this.  Angers me a bit.

I am so happy that many of this threads readers got a heads up, as I don't think the pharmacisits have warned us quick enough.

Honored Contributor

my mom went  to her pharmacy two days ago to make sure.

hers was NOT one of the valsartans recalled.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein