Honored Contributor

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today

My husband is on this medication.  The manufacturers that are recalled are:

Major Pharmaceuticals

Solco Healthcare

Teva Pharmaceuticals

The manufacturer should be on your bottle and if it's not, you are supposed to call your issuing pharmacy.  My DH gets his through Express Scripts.  I will check the manufacturer when I get home at lunch today.  For some reason, I want to think I remember seeing Teva on his bottle.

The articles I read said you are not supposed to just stop taking them.   

Honored Contributor

Pharmacist called today, and said they have the safe Diovan in. Yes, it is certain manufacturers.  I will pick it  up tomorrow.  I just skipped today until I got further info.

I do agree that I am sensitive to medications, foods and additives and chemicals.  My mom is the same way.

i think anyone who has high blood pressure needs to take action.  The long term damage can be devastating. I was stubborn about it for years and refised and made excuses.  I hate the effects of bp meds, then I took diavan and side effects not so bad, for me..  I am 10 lbs over weight by Dr scale.  I am a demon about whole foods, I exercise, do strength training. All to no avail.  I think the late 60's and 70's were too good to me,😚 I also have RA.  My blood pressure on meds is 140/80.  When I go to Dr it is 160-170/80. Does anyone else get white coat fever and have blood pressure escalate when they take it at office???  Never fails, I meditate , relax still shoots up.  I think it is performance anxiety, lol!

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Pharmacist called today, and said they have the safe Diovan in. Yes, it is certain manufacturers.  I will pick it  up tomorrow.  I just skipped today until I got further info.

I do agree that I am sensitive to medications, foods and additives and chemicals.  My mom is the same way.

i think anyone who has high blood pressure needs to take action.  The long term damage can be devastating. I was stubborn about it for years and refised and made excuses.  I hate the effects of bp meds, then I took diavan and side effects not so bad, for me..  I am 10 lbs over weight by Dr scale.  I am a demon about whole foods, I exercise, do strength training. All to no avail.  I think the late 60's and 70's were too good to me,😚 I also have RA.  My blood pressure on meds is 140/80.  When I go to Dr it is 160-170/80. Does anyone else get white coat fever and have blood pressure escalate when they take it at office???  Never fails, I meditate , relax still shoots up.  I think it is performance anxiety, lol!

It could be any other meds you are taking might be elevating your blood pressure since you are clean eating and exercising.  Trying deep breathing and ask them to wait and take it a seond time.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for this heads up @shoekitty.  I just checked and my Valsartan is manufactured by MACLEODS, so I guess it's ok.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@shoekitty  All blood pressure (prescriptive) meds have negative side effects.  Years ago I was regularly in the emergency room for breathing treatments while on Lisinopril for Hbp.  If you are eating "clean" and organic, the toxic side effects will be exacerbated. (I eat a clean lifestyle and my body lets me know when I've consumed a toxic substance.) I could write a lot about this issue, but I would rather be the peace maker than the pot stirrer.  You can find a lot of research on this subject and there are natural ayurvedic herbs and lifestyles that will cure high blood pressure.  I wish you well and a speedy release of this toxic product from your system.

@phoenixbrd

Truth!

High Blood Pressure, like heart disease, T2 diabetes, obesity, etc,

is a modern day illness.  You have the choice to live with it....

and to take medications which can be deadly themselves.

To peel back the layers of toxic medications, work on eliminating

them completely.  Clean/organic doesn’t do much good if it’s

‘clean’ saturated fat or ‘organic’ animal products.

A low fat whole foods plant based diet, salt at/less 2500mg,

reduction of caffeine...are all things to focus on when improving 

your health.

Hibiscus flowers, seeped into tea, can help reduce HBP.

Taking amla (Indian gooseberries) have been known to help

thin the blood, as well.

Making the artery walls as flexible as possible is key.

Building a stronger endothelial wall will help, as well.

All this can be done by a plant based diet w/ lots of greens!

It’s a shame all these drugs hurting people...

especially when there’s such a simple solution. 

Honored Contributor

My valsartan is ok, but husbands is not. No call from the pharmacy so he will call today. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  Love how you are putting the truth out there!  If only people would attempt to change their lifestyle to fidelity for 30 days.  Wouldn't it be fun to have a group commit to this process....I mean full blown: no salt, oil, sugar, dairy, meat.  I know it is a lot easier to pop a pill (in the beginning) or listen to the man/woman in the white coat who had 12 hours of nutritional medical training.  They have their place in the medical field, but it is rarely what we should be consuming for health.  

I love my life and a lot of that is owed to my lifestyle.  

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@sidsmom  Love how you are putting the truth out there!  If only people would attempt to change their lifestyle to fidelity for 30 days.  Wouldn't it be fun to have a group commit to this process....I mean full blown: no salt, oil, sugar, dairy, meat.  I know it is a lot easier to pop a pill (in the beginning) or listen to the man/woman in the white coat who had 12 hours of nutritional medical training.  They have their place in the medical field, but it is rarely what we should be consuming for health.  

I love my life and a lot of that is owed to my lifestyle.  

@phoenixbrd

Toots!  I’m so happy you’re puttin’ it out there, as well!

I’ve cut my teeth with McDougall/Barnard/Esselstyn, but it’s the

newcomers which are making it fun to learn it all again.

Dr. Greger, all the free plantbased summits..and I am learning

so much from Dr. Cyrus/Robby w/ Mastering Diabetes....

Even though I don’t have diabetes, I’m tempted to join the

Mastering Diabetes program just to continue my nutritional learning! 

And to listen to many different points-of-view just makes it

more & more clear, all these different conditions are connected...

and nutrition to correct/prevent is the foundational answer.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Diovan is a blood pressure med.  i just found out today the FDA has recalled it. For weeks they have been saying a cancer causing toxin was found in valsartan in 22 countries, but not US.  There has been illness and a death.  Today FDA did recall it here in US. It is generic Diovan, called valsartan..  Call your pharmacist, if they haven't already called or mailed you a letter.  They will check and see if it is one of the batches, or manufacturers that is under recall.  Makes me so mad.  I wondered why last month I have been getting nauseous after taking it.  I am highly sensitive to many chemicals, I eat organic and fairly clean.   I am not taking it for 3 days, have appt with Dr this coming Thursday.

It used to made in US, but they farmed it out to china a while back, and they say something mislabeled might have been added .  That makes me feels so comfortable about my medications. 😡

@shoekitty

Wow ...  This thread caught my eye ....  thanks for posting!

I also noticed feeling queasy after taking it lately, but can't remember this going back ... and I'm sure I would have noticed!  Hmm.

I also have my MD appt tomorrow Thursday .....  another thing on my list for this ....  discussing a replacement.   Even if only some batches were a problem, I still think I'd like to change meds.

Honored Contributor

Mine is valsartan with the water pill. It is manufactured in Malta. Husbands is just the valsartan and manufactured in China. His is on the recall list.