Honored Contributor

Diovan, valsartan recalled today

Diovan is a blood pressure med.  i just found out today the FDA has recalled it. For weeks they have been saying a cancer causing toxin was found in valsartan in 22 countries, but not US.  There has been illness and a death.  Today FDA did recall it here in US. It is generic Diovan, called valsartan..  Call your pharmacist, if they haven't already called or mailed you a letter.  They will check and see if it is one of the batches, or manufacturers that is under recall.  Makes me so mad.  I wondered why last month I have been getting nauseous after taking it.  I am highly sensitive to many chemicals, I eat organic and fairly clean.   I am not taking it for 3 days, have appt with Dr this coming Thursday.

It used to made in US, but they farmed it out to china a while back, and they say something mislabeled might have been added .  That makes me feels so comfortable about my medications. 😡

Honored Contributor

Re: Diovan, valsartan recalled today

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty  All blood pressure (prescriptive) meds have negative side effects.  Years ago I was regularly in the emergency room for breathing treatments while on Lisinopril for Hbp.  If you are eating "clean" and organic, the toxic side effects will be exacerbated. (I eat a clean lifestyle and my body lets me know when I've consumed a toxic substance.) I could write a lot about this issue, but I would rather be the peace maker than the pot stirrer.  You can find a lot of research on this subject and there are natural ayurvedic herbs and lifestyles that will cure high blood pressure.  I wish you well and a speedy release of this toxic product from your system.

Respected Contributor

I've been on that med for years and will call the pharmacist today.  Thanks for posting that information. 

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I've been on that med for years and will call the pharmacist today.  Thanks for posting that information. 

So have I!  Time to call my doctor.

@shoekitty . Thanks for the heads up on this! I would have never known!

I just checked my bottle and mine have been manufactured by a company (it's in small lettering on the bottle) called Aurobindo Pharma based in India.  The offending compainies are based in China. I had no idea really that these generic drugs are mostly based in China & India!  The name brands are so expensive.

However I still plan on calling my pharmacy since I'm due to pick up a refill.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@shoekitty  All blood pressure (prescriptive) meds have negative side effects.  Years ago I was regularly in the emergency room for breathing treatments while on Lisinopril for Hbp.  If you are eating "clean" and organic, the toxic side effects will be exacerbated. (I eat a clean lifestyle and my body lets me know when I've consumed a toxic substance.) I could write a lot about this issue, but I would rather be the peace maker than the pot stirrer.  You can find a lot of research on this subject and there are natural ayurvedic herbs and lifestyles that will cure high blood pressure.  I wish you well and a speedy release of this toxic product from your system.

@phoenixbrd . Are you no longer taking BP meds?  I also eat all organic.  What did you do or take to wean yourself off of them?

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

This is bogus information you are spreading. For some people eating herbs and living a certain lifestyle will never cure hbp. Its like people telling me that I caused my own type 1 diabetes. Ridiculous.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9  I tried to be discreet ....  I am living proof of my words but really don't want to encourage dissension.  I'll just say "clean" lifestyle and Carditone (both my husband and I live a precription drug free life today, but I continue to monitor BP daily).  I support everyone doing what they feel is best for themselves.

Haddon, I wish you and all members of the board the very best.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I may be reading this wrong, but I was under the impression that only certain manufacturers of Valsarta are being recalled.

http://www.fox5dc.com/health/fda-issues-recall-for-blood-pressure-medication-due-to-cancer-risk

Since this is such important information that could literally save a life, I’m hoping QVC will allow this link.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for this information!  I have been on Diovan for years and the generic for close to three years.  I am calling the pharmacy today.  I had no idea.

ETA:  Just checked and mine is manufactured by MACLEODS but I am still calling the pharmacy at Optum. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@haddon9  I tried to be discreet ....  I am living proof of my words but really don't want to encourage dissension.  I'll just say "clean" lifestyle and Carditone (both my husband and I live a precription drug free life today, but I continue to monitor BP daily).  I support everyone doing what they feel is best for themselves.

Haddon, I wish you and all members of the board the very best.

@phoenixbrd . Thank you & I understand.  Everyone is always quick to say talk to you doctor who  will just prescribe more meds.  I'll look into Carditone.