Trusted Contributor

Re: Different treatments for knee replacement surgery

@kaydee50 wrote:

If it were me I would want to get out of the hospital ASAP.  

I had a total knee replacement last winter.  My surgery was late morning.  The physical therapist only came to get me out of bed and walking with a walker that evening.  I also wanted to get out ASAP and for me that was the next day.  I could have stayed a second night and chose not to.  When the local anaesthetic that they put in the knee wears off you really don't want to be dealing with that level of pain at home.  IV works much faster than pills.  They also need to monitor you for blood clots.  If any chance this was arthroscopic surgery, that is not a knee replacement; it is minimally invasive and I believe they do send you home the same day.

Contributor

My son (53) will have TKR in May and was told it would be on an outpatient basis.

Valued Contributor

2 years ago I took a fall, yep it was around Christmas time, I was in a hurry, had a pair of Clogs on, my foot got caught on one of the legs of the love seat, I was putting the gifts on , foot came out of the clog and bam! down I went on the wood floor.

I was laughing at first, I could move my legs but there was no way I could sit up, thats when I knew it wasn't funny anymore.

I yelled for my husband, he got my moms wheelchair and hoisted me up..

Went to the hospital, broke my pelvis in 3 places, no surgery(I live in Florida) I asked for just an icepack and Tylenol, nope they had to shoot me up with the heavy duty drugs, So then I proceed to vomit from that injection. 

Stayed a day, came home with a walker, perscriptions in hand, opened the bag and there were 10 vials filled with blood thinners and needles, which I followed the directions to hit myself in the gut everyday. Different when you do it to yourself...

PT was a joke, I'm still in the wheelchair.

The old line of "treat'em and street'em" used to be used for ER'S but now seems to be for all hospital problems. Down here they don't even have Hospice in their hospitals, the families have to go find one and the poor patients shuttled around. Its ridiculous. 

I can remember years back when you needed surgery you went in a few days ahead of time to get you ready. No more..Pretty soon hospitals will be like drive through windows. You'll press a button what you need done, some bot will perform the surgery and you'll stop at the desk on your way out, get your meds and head home.

Pretty sad, but true, 

I am an RN and here in Florida the system is pretty screwed up.

I'm retired now, thank heavens,

With what I see here, its time to head back North..

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

If it were me I would want to get out of the hospital ASAP.  

@kaydee50  Exactly why today knee and hip replacement patients are sent home as soon as possible. Less chance for infection. I went home next day with both hip replacements....did not even eat a meal when there.  In at 4pm....I was home by noon the next day. 

With my Bilateral double knee replacement I was in hospital for two days only because of having both done...if it had been just one, I would have been sent home next day. 

if you are healthy, no need to stay in a filthy hospital!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

After reading most of these posts, and being only a few days out of the hospital, I wonder this.

Been released from short and very long stays in the hospital, over a period of 14 years, in and out, in and out. Also have had several out-patient surgeries. Prior to any of my hospital releases I have to sign anywhere from 10 to many more papers to be released.

I am wondering how many actually read and comprehend some of the things they have signed off on for that release. Some of those papers, included in my recent releases, were actually releasing that hospital from any liability once I was off their property.

After seeing one poster talking about no pain after a TKR and also taking no blood thinners! I have seen so many here talk about "risk factors" from the virus/from taking risks with certain activities, some even to this day, yet!

Somehow they believe there is little to no risk after a major surgical procedure, even from what could be deadly blood clots? Really?

I won't say anymore because I don't make statements on specifics without seeing factual information. But to say I am skeptical of some of these posts? While far from an expert, I have experienced much, in connection with surgeries and risky invasive procedures, to not buy into some of what I have read here.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I haven't had knee replacement, but I did have a total shoulder replacement 2 years ago (can't believe it was that long) and I finished my outpatient PT just before the covid hit here.  I was in the hospital over night only and that was to get IV antibiotics and pain meds.  Went home the next am after OT showed me how to dress and PT gave me some instructions.  I worked in hospitals for over 25 years and strongly believe they are very unhealthy.  For me it was the right decision and I felt safer and more comfortable at home.  Unless there is something a RN needs to do for you, I think you are better off out of institutional care.  That is just my opinion. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

I question the accuracy of that report.   I had surgery as a hospital outpatient at the beginning of this month.  The best result would have been in and out within a few hours --and I got that result.  

But 2 hours??  I was inside the hospital for nearly 2 hours even before the surgeon came in to answer my last minute questions.  Before him I met both of the operating room nurses, the anesthesiologist team, and finally the surgeon himself.  My companion sat right beside me for the entire prep time. 

Althogether, I was in the outpatient facility for just a few minutes less than 7 hours. I can imagine someone in good health with a good surgeon, with no complication in the OR. and living with someone reliable to do any necessary home care -  I can imagine going home the same day --   just not in 2 hours.

Valued Contributor

l had my TKR in 2018 ,  Unfortunatly it got infected , 2 weeks ago they took the whole replacement parts out and put a spacer in filled with antibiotics , the Dr called it like a bar of soap consistancy , so l have a full leg brace , l cannot put any weight on that leg , spacer can dislodge crack all sorts of bad things , and have to keep it perfectly straight , This is for 6 weeks !! l was in the hospital for 8 days and now home on pic line IV that l administer myself .  When this is all done l will be starteing all over with a new TNR  !  l really do wish l would of kept my old painful knee .  My original TKR l was in the hospital 2 days , because l could't keep food down .  Don't know how the infection got there , but if this don't work my leg comes off !   This is way way more painful than the replacement surgery .  Every one please be careful and not to have this outcome !  

Honored Contributor

You poor girl.  A total nightmare is what you are going through.  Prayers for you.  I wonder how it got infected three years later.

Trusted Contributor

@Jrzgirl  I  had both hips and my right knee replaced.  The knee was done in 2019 and since then my gait has not been "normal."  I can walk without assistance; however, even after PT my walking pattern is not what I was hoping it would be.

My left knee is arthritic; however, I'm not experiencing any pain so I'm procrastinating scheduling that knee for replacement surgery.

If I believed having the left knee replaced would afford me a normal gait I probably would have it done.

Are you able to walk "normally" after your 4 joint replacements?  Thank so much for any info you may provide.