Honored Contributor

Different treatments for knee replacement surgery

I am shocked.  A friend just told me her daughter-in-law had knee replacement surgery as an outpatient.  She was in the hospital for only two hours.  Me, I was in for three days then they put me in a nursing home for another two days.  I had no particular complications, just a lot of pain.  I am on Medicare and this person is not quite old enough but she has good insurance..  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Different treatments for knee replacement surgery

Wow! That sounds very risky to me. I imagine an insurance company had something to do with it. I had the surgery a few years ago. I had no complications. All went very well. However, the first couple of days were very painful. I needed to be able to walk steps before discharge. I was in the hospital for three days, then went home. I recall that one of the worries surrounding this surgery is blood clotting. Patients routinely take blood thinner for a couple of weeks. I think this new protocol stinks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had arthoscopic knee surgery at a outpatient surgi ctr a few months ago. Had long talk with the Head Nurse, she told me they do tons of knee and hip replacements there now , in and out in several hours. it depends on the age and general health of the patient, and it is up to the anesthesiologist to review the patients health records and decide. They do them early in the morning in case some need to stay there for more than a few hours. That was why they booked me the afternoon. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My brother recently had knee replacement surgery, just had the other one done last Friday, both times were just overnight, home the next day.

Trusted Contributor

I had my knee replaced two years ago - spent two nights in hospital, but I felt

like I could had gone home the same day. I know this is not the norm, but I never

had any pain with my knee, never took blood thinners. The only pain I had came after a couple of days being home.

The nerve in my hip down part of my leg caused me enough pain that I had to take

1/2 of a pain pill at night in order to sleep. That eventually went away.

I still need my other knee replaced and I can only hope for another "not the norm" experience.

A friend recently had his knee replacment - only one night in hospital. No medicare.

I'm sure Vivian is correct in that insurance determine how long your hospital stay is.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I am shocked.  A friend just told me her daughter-in-law had knee replacement surgery as an outpatient.  She was in the hospital for only two hours.  Me, I was in for three days then they put me in a nursing home for another two days.  I had no particular complications, just a lot of pain.  I am on Medicare and this person is not quite old enough but she has good insurance..  

I wonder if this was a partial knee replacement rather than a full replacement.  But even if it was, it seems bizzarely irresponsible on the part of the hospital.

Respected Contributor

I think it's irresponsible to do day surgery for knee replacement. But, it's the sign of the times. I suspect if they feel the patient is more capable to follow instructions, with a good support system, the staff will hear: 'Get 'em discharged, we need the bed, while yelling --- next up.'

Bed control was major in my facility. Of course, you had to watch for when benefits were expiring, too, and push those folks out asap. Often prematurely, by protocols of years past. It was very upsetting for many of the staff. It's become an assembly line, only the product is people. Unthinkable, really.

It's why we have to advocate for ourselves and why we need someone who is strong, who we trust to speak up for us, if we can't. It's essential. 

Honored Contributor

If it were me I would want to get out of the hospital ASAP.  

Contributor

I have had both knees & both hips replaced.  My last surgery, 2019- I was 72, was my left hip & I was released the same day, my choice.  The doctor needed to see I was able to walk & climb a couple of stairs prior to approving my release.  This was done under Medicare.  The other 3 surgeries were done with about 3 days inpatient stay (prior to Medicare).  I did develop a blood clot after my first hip surgery but it was after my release from the hospital.  I went to my internists office daily for blood thinner injections to desolve  the clot.  

Esteemed Contributor

I had my knee replaced in 2017. One night in the hospital. The worst day was the second day when the nerve block wore off. After that it wasn't that bad.