Trusted Contributor

Re: Different treatments for knee replacement surgery

hockynut...are you skeptical because I said I had no pain with my TKR?

If so, its true, and it's probably because I was in so much knee pain before my TKR, that

all I felt was relief after surgery.  My Dr. said I had a high pain tolerance, but I don't know about that.

I don't know why I wasn't on blood thinners. If it was running thru my IV while in hospital, I didn't know it  I was told what to look for as far as blood clots, and my PT always

checked me out pretty good, but it sure is something I will remember to ask about

when I have my next TKR.  

Hope you are doing well after your latest hospital stay.

Respected Contributor

My husband had a TKR done in October and was only at the hospital maybe 8 hours as an outpatient.  Most of that time was waiting to get the surgery.  Only there a few hours after.  He had me to wait on him but if he was alone he would have had to go to inpatient rehab.  

Trusted Contributor

Mom had both knees replaced at same time at age 82. In hospital for week, then to rehab for three weeks. Pain for 3 months, progressing from wheelchair to walker, physical therapist came to house several times per week. Now it is my turn to have same surgery, but I am very reluctant to have it because, with my responsibilities, I just cannot be off my feet for 3 months. I am not in any pain at present, only stiffness. It's always something. 

Honored Contributor

I am forwarding this to You  @pdlinda  as I think it was meant to be sent to you and not  I... ~SeaMaiden~

@Jrzgirl wrote:

Yes, I walk with a normal gait. I now ride my stationary bike twice daily for 6 miles each time.  It was during Covid that I had the replacement, at that time they were cancelling "elective" surgeries".  My first surgical date was cancelled & I thought my second date was going to be cancelled, also.  However, my surgeon said my hip was so bad that he wouldn't allow it to be cancelled, as I'd lost the entire ball of my hip.  After the surgery I had a weeks worth of PT at home and from the I went to outpatient physical therapy for the time allowed by Medicare.  I was very diligent about doing all the exercises the therapists advised & I believe that aided in my recuperation.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  Living with pain is awful!

Honored Contributor

Friend of mine's DH is having knee replacement on Monday, at a hospital. So far they plan to send him home several laters later, unless they feel after the surgery that he needs to stay over. 

Valued Contributor

CJC.    Please read my entry on TKR complications on infection on knee replacement ,  l know that's a small percentage of people but I was one and would give anything not to have done the original TKR . I am now at home on pic line antibiotics , no knee , they had to remove the entire replacement parts , leg has to be kept perfectly straight and no weight bearing , so I have to hop on one leg , administer my own antibiotic IV.   This is for 6 weeks , , l have 4+  Weeks to go .  Then after this heals I will need a whole new TKR surgery .  It's a lot harder to do after being without a knee for 6 weeks. . I don't want to scare people but I was never told what would happen if an infection got in it , only that it's a risk . If I would of known what happens when you get an infection , I would of nerver replaced my knee .  It was painful from time to time but at least I didn't have this !! I feel so helpless , like a burden , can't do anything , and terribly painful . I also know people that had replacements and were very happy with the outcome and wish they would of done it sooner. I believe that is most people , l am one of the few people that have this complication. . 

Honored Contributor

My knee surgeries were in 2012 and 2017; done in a hospital where knees are done on Wednesdays and you are discharged on Friday.  

The biggest change I noticed with my last surgery is the increased patient education to prepare patients for the procedure and recovery.  Most of this education focused on aspects that take away the feeling of being "sick" just because you're in a hospital setting.  I could see this facility was moving towards a same day in/out procedure for joint replacement.  

Honored Contributor

Well, my friend had his TKR this morning and is on his way home as I type, was done in a hospital.