Esteemed Contributor

Re: Difference of opinion regarding social distancing

The battle lines are being drawn hard.  Interesting to watch.  I think some social/family groups are going to shift.

Esteemed Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I don't understand why so many people keep saying "do what is best for yourself."  Don't they get that it's not just about them but about all of us.  I'm not saying everone should be locked in their homes, but those that refuse to follow simple guidelines are putting others at risk.  If they aren't concerned about their own safety they should respect the lives of others and follow guidelines.  With attitudes like this we will never rid our country of this virus.

What makes you think people are not taking precautions while they are making decisions to move on with their lives?  Rather judgemental to make such statements.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

DH and I have resumed many of the pre-Covid aspects of our lives, all the while ensuring that we follow our state mandates. The grocery stores we go to have senior hours and wipe shopping carts down with sanitizing wipes as you enter the store. Masks are required whenever you're indoors at a store or other public venue where you can't social distance. We try to walk each afternoon and don't wear masks while walking. If we encounter anyone on our walk, we just move apart or cross the street. If we run into someone and want to chat, we stay at least 6 feet apart. I would love to return to the gym, but DH doesn't feel comfortable with that yet. 

We have a group of friends that we "quaranteamed" with since our pool opened in June. All of us are over 65 years old. We enjoyed swimming and seeing each other all summer long under the mandates set by the Governor of Virginia. We go out to eat with this group, mostly outdoors but also indoors, because we know our friends are being careful and all of the restaurants in our area are following the social distancing requirements. We've also socialized at each other's homes occasionally.

Having said that, DH and I declined to attend a cousin's memorial Mass in Pennsylvania last week because it would have entailed making a pit stop along I-95 and staying in a hotel. There were just too many variables/unknowns involved for us to feel safe, so we let local family members represent us. I doubt we'll see our family this year, but that's the way it goes. 

We've tried to preserve some semblance of normalcy during the pandemic, but also respect our and others' vulnerabilities. We've respected those who express concerns and expect others to respect our concerns. 

Honored Contributor

"With attitudes like this we will never rid our country of this virus."

People needs reminding that this is the "new normal."  The virus is here to stay.

The common cold & the flu are also Covid viruses & neither has gone anywhere.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

Your friends & family may think you are misunderstanding the concept of social distancing.   It doesn't mean live your life like a recluse.   If you are using that term to decline invitations, maybe you could cite a different reason.   You have no need to be defensive. Consider how you deliver the message.   On the other hand if someone is rude about it, that's unacceptable.

"they don't seem to get it" is not your problem, don't concern yourself with what other people "don't get"

Sometimes it is about how you reply.  I simple "not comfortable yet" should be sufficient.  Yet some like to make a whole list of reasons the whole thing is a stupid idea.  Do what you are comfortable doing for your situation and let others do the same.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

I don't understand why so many people keep saying "do what is best for yourself."  Don't they get that it's not just about them but about all of us.  I'm not saying everone should be locked in their homes, but those that refuse to follow simple guidelines are putting others at risk.  If they aren't concerned about their own safety they should respect the lives of others and follow guidelines.  With attitudes like this we will never rid our country of this virus.

What makes you think people are not taking precautions while they are making decisions to move on with their lives?  Rather judgemental to make such statements.

Not judgmental at all.  I have seen it firsthand as I'm sure you have as well.  Certainly many do but many do not.

Esteemed Contributor

I understand. I am keeping on with the hermit lifestyle. Some folks have acted like they don't get it our decisions, that's ok. I don't feel like I owe anyone an explanation of what my husband and I do to try to keep safe.

Try not to let these people get to you, @AngelPuppy1. I know its hard, but we have to do what we can to feel like we are protecting ourselves.

This is just a very hard time we are living in. I also just heard on the news that one of the volunteers with the astrazeca trial vaccine has died. He was in his 20's. Not sure if he took the vaccine or was in the placebo group. Realistically, I'm afraid we are in for a long haul.

Respected Contributor

Perhaps you could just say something like "I have already explained this all to you" and then change the subject.

Respected Contributor

With me it's running about 50/50. Tale of two neighbors:

Neighbor One says to me, "Why are you staying in all the time? My 83-year-old mother runs around and does her thing and never worries."  I know exactly why I'm staying in.

Neighbor Two has 3 children under age 5 who love to jump around on my patio furniture. They have been at home since March, but their daycare has recently reopened. It made me sad to have to tell them no more playing on my furniture. Neighbor Two said. "I understand completely. I've been thinking about it myself." 

Respected Contributor

We are all free to live as we choose during this time. Depending on where you live of course. We are all free to be afraid or not be afraid. I don't look at every human being and recoil in fear that they have the virus at all times. People either have it, already had it or they don't have it and will never get it. Locking down and making everyone stay home does not make the virus dissapear. It's still out there and we all may eventually get it or be immune to it.