Super Contributor

Re: Difference in S S D and S S I

You can file online. If you do paper this process may take longer. You can go into an office too. Before you start, have any useful medical records available. Doctor, address, telephone, etc. Medications and Medical Tests surgeries completed and their dates. Employers, dates of employment, jobs worked. The medical providers and employers will be contacted by the SSA. Yes there is a possibility of an independent medical evaluation, this is not unusual and nothing be worried about; it happens later in the process and by then you will have received more mailings from SSA with documentation to complete.

If you apply online, there is no need to complete the application in one sitting; you can save the data and login again to continue. Once you have created an account you will get a notice from SSA that they see you initiated an account and have received your credentials and give you a best date by which to submit your application. The SSA processes applications via calendar quarters. So if you complete online and submit by the end of Sept., you have a better shot at a decision by the end of Q4. If you submit in October it may be into 2015 before your case is determined.

. Just make sure you have Health Insurance in place because Medicare coverage takes 24 months from your award date.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks. I have health insurance. My former employer actually pays the colts. To young for Medicare. I will be getting Medicaid. We did file already. We actually did it almost two months ago. They needed my birth certificate the other day. I have psoriatic arthritis that has gotten worse over the years. I am nervous that since I was working with this that I may not be able to get it. I also have a two year degree. I don't mind working but I no longer have a job or a car.
Super Contributor

There is a table the SSA pages in the disability section that has every type of condition listed, physical and mental. What they do is analyze whether a person will be able to work based on what they did for work and when they became disabled. I am sure you will have a favorable decision, you should hear from them very soon. Oh and you may get random mailings from SSA ahead of the award letter. I got one of those tear-off tab mailings to create a new password on a SSA website. (myss.gov) So that was a tip-off! In my state, there is a state agency that works with SSA and they send the final determination to SSA. So if you have a contact at the State office, they may be able to advise sooner.

Esteemed Contributor

How long did it take you to get approved.
Frequent Contributor

ccassaday, Do you know how long the long term disability benefits will last? It may only be for 2 years. After you apply for SSD it could take about 2 years to start getting the money. Then I believe you will get the back money from the date you applied. You will also have to go to see their doctor to determine if you are disabled. You may want to consult a social security disability lawyer about all of this. A social security disability lawyer will be paid directly by social security. I do not know how your long term insurance benefits will affect you getting SSD. That is why you should talk to a social security lawyer. You may want to talk to more than one lawyer. Sometimes they do not charge for an initial consultation. I did see where you are going to see a lawyer. Make sure he specializes in social security disability. I say this because you need to get a good social security disability lawyer. Last year I needed a worker's comp lawyer, and I talked to several before I found the one I hired. The one I hired was the only lawyer that told me the insurance company would want to really push to settle my claim because I was so close to getting on Medicare and that would complicate things. The firm I used also handles social security disability and I would recommend them. They are in Philadelphia but I believe they have offices in New York and New Jersey. They only handle workers comp and social security disability. Let me know if you are in PA, NY or NJ and then maybe I can give you my e-mail address.

I have a friend that applied for SSD when she was in her early 50's. It took about 2 1/2 years before she got the money. Fortunately, she had saved enough money to live on during that time. She was single. I think you have to be disabled from working for 6 months before you can even apply. They denied her. She was a nurse and had a disease which made her fall (menier's disease) and also a heart condition. Even after she went to see their doctor who told her she would definitely qualify social security still denied her. So she got a social security disability lawyer and then she was approved. Her lawyer told her that if social security's doctor said she was disabled social security could not deny her. By the way, she talked to several other lawyers first that did not tell her about the fact that she should not be denied if their doctor told her she was disabled and put it in writing. Then she had to wait 2 years to get Medicare or Medicaid. I'm not sure which you get when you are disabled and too young for Medicare.

Esteemed Contributor

My long term is sixty per cent of my pay for life.I am fortunate that I am living with my parents. My dad has a great job. So I am all right as far as shelter and food. I am getting food stamps. The l t d guy mentioned how they would help with disability so I think their might be a clause that says my l t d can be reduced when I get approved for disability. I dread having to go to one of their doctors.
Trusted Contributor

I am on SSD and have LTD through my (former) employer. As I recall, I applied for SSD in February and was approved in April (2 1/2 years ago), with payments starting in July. My Medicare just kicked in, so I had to pay insurance out-of-pocket until then.

The LTD policy will pay 60% of my salary until I turn 65. Essentially, it pays the difference between my SSD check and the 60% amount.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/25/2014 happy housewife said:

SSD is social security disability -- SSI is a small SS payment for the indigent even though they did not pay in to the system. I know a woman who was to be a russian bride - then shortly after she got here her husband to be changed his mind and she was left indigent. She collected SSI until she eventually did find work and another husband, before her visa ran out.

This is not always the case. I had a cousin in the 1970's get SSI when she started getting SSA. He income was low. She worked for 40 years.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/25/2014 ccassaday said: So it's safe to say I would not be eligible for S S I and I need to apply for S S D I. Will the long term disability I just got approved for effect the amount if I am approved. After applying how long will it take. Will I have to have a special assessment come to the house or will my medical records be enough.

Please read Nolo's Guide. Approval for SSDI is a five Step Sequential Process. http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/the-5-step-sequential-evaluation-in-deciding-social-security-di...

It is not when you are approved,but that you are. The Social Security site makes it seem like the process of applying and approval for SSDI is simple. It is not. You need medical records, to support anything you write about your health. Ask a family member or dear friend to help.

Super Contributor

On 9/25/2014 ccassaday said: So it's safe to say I would not be eligible for S S I and I need to apply for S S D I. Will the long term disability I just got approved for effect the amount if I am approved. After applying how long will it take. Will I have to have a special assessment come to the house or will my medical records be enough.

You may receive both SSDI and your long term disability.........usually the long term disability will pay less that SSDI example is if you long term disability is 1500 and SSDI would give you $1.200 then the Long Term Disability company will give you $300 so you would be getting the $1500 in total.......if you get ssdi back pay after long term disability has been paying until you get your SSDI then you will usually have to pay back what the long term gave you before and while your SSDI was being approved..........just depnds on your plan but I would call my plan and I would file online for SSDI............or go to Social Security and you will need doctor reports that you can't work and I would make two copies of all medical reports because SSDI will use those reports while deciding if you will receive SSDI.....long term usually last until you are 65 years of age and then ss will kick in and you will make the same ssdi it will just go ss..............I hope this helps you. File now......you may get an answer in 6 months......or sooner. But I would mail with the application all of your medical records proving you can't work and are disabled.......you can fill out and take the form and copies to the social security office.....keep files and copies for you.........