Honored Contributor

Difference Between KN95 and N95 Masks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I've notice that a number of people seem concern about where their masks are made.  A response to a question asked of an Amazon vendor led me to investigate further.  He said the N95 is made in the USA to our standards.  Then I found this online.  You might want to read before buying.  Amazon does have certified N95 masks.

What is the Difference Between KN95 and N95 Face Masks

•  
  •  

Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, N95 face masks are extraordinarily difficult to find and should be reserved for frontline health care workers. There are other alternatives more readily available like the KN95 face mask.

The KN95 is China’s equivalent of the N95 face mask that is used both in the United States and Canada. The N95 is certified by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), and the KN95 meets the Chinese government performance standards for respiratory protection. While supplies last, you can purchase KN95 face masks certified by the Chinese government from Conney Safety.

Assuming they are tight-fitting and worn properly, studies have consistently shown that both N95 and KN95 masks perform significantly better than either surgical masks or cloth masks at preventing the spread of COVID-19. According to the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, the time it takes to transmit an infectious dose of COVID-19 is correlated to what type of mask or lack thereof both the infected person and the non-infected person in a shared space or in close contact are wearing

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Difference Between KN95 and N95 Masks

[ Edited ]

There are mask kn95's,that are made in usa,several companies.Also i bought n95 masks from amazon,made by kimberly clark, what they call duck bill masks.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624,

Thanks for this post and your investigative work! Much appreciated,

Enjoy Your Day message with roses and leaves

Respected Contributor

The country of origin on masks was a disappointment for me in the early days of finding masks. The worst masks I have purchased to date were made in the US. They were the surgical type, but they had very poor quality and fit.

I have been wearing KN95 masks for quite some time. We did order some N95 and have received them, but due to the extremely high numbers of daily cases here we are not venturing out into the public. I will probably switch to them when we resume curbside pickup. The idea of two bands to secure the mask in place rather than the single ear loop on the KN95 style seems like it would offer a more secure fit.

I did have some glasses' fog if I did not carefully apply the KN95 and work the wire to get a tight fit. I wear a cloth mask over it. My mother's theory of "If a little bit will do a little good, a whole lot will do a whole lot of good" is the reason for continuing to double mask.

Honored Contributor

I find the two bands around the head, does make the mask fit tighter,than the ear loop ones.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It  @goldensrbest 

N95 masks which are certified by OSHA/NIOSH can be and ARE made outside of the United States just like much of the stuff we consume.  What must happen, however, is that they must test to the proper performance and standards that OSHA has set for them.  They can be made in Bulgaria, Mexico, Viet Nam, Bora Bora or anywhere else as long as they are NIOSH certified it doesn't matter.

Being made in America does not ensure they are safe any more than the KN95's.  The industry is inundated with masks that are not up to snuff so much so that the CDC and/or FDA indicate that about 60% of masks floating around for purchase are fake and knock offs.  Doesn't matter that they are made in the U.S.A. either.

We have three options for better masks N95 (U.S. Standard), KN95 (China Standard) KF94 (South Korea Standard).  KF94's are just 1% point less than the N95's or the KN95's.  Best bet is to try to purchase your medical masks from reputable websites as opposed to Amazon unless you pull up the NIOSH certification list to compare.  

Pull up the NIOSH certification list and try your best to buy them from the manufacturer.

In a pinch double masking can be done too.  Surgical mask first, then a cloth mask to make the surgical mask fit closer to the face.  The concern with surgical masks is that they leave space for particulate to enter near the side of the face.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life