Esteemed Contributor

I don't like the way diet soda tastes, so I don't drink it.

I rarely drink regular soda as it is, maybe once a month, perhaps.

I just don't really crave soda.

Honored Contributor

And for how many years has this been known?!!  Pretty sure for a few decdes at least---old news!!!!

Respected Contributor

About every 5 years everything changes on what's good for you and what's bad for you.  I remember coconut oil being on the 'avoid' list.   

I've been drinking diet pop since Tab almost since it was invented.   I'm not sure why, but I prefer diet everything as opposed to sugared.  Unless of course it's chocolate.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

About every 5 years everything changes on what's good for you and what's bad for you.  I remember coconut oil being on the 'avoid' list.   

I've been drinking diet pop since Tab almost since it was invented.   I'm not sure why, but I prefer diet everything as opposed to sugared.  Unless of course it's chocolate.

@debic

Coconut oil was never bad for us. It was the victim of propaganda marketing by the soy industry.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@debic wrote:

@debic

Coconut oil was never bad for us. It was the victim of propaganda marketing by the soy industry.

Over the decades, "victim of propaganda from the X industry" is the story of most food scares. Which is why I pay no attention to any of them. There are new studies on the media weekly about this or that or something else "killing" people, causing cancer, Alzheimers, diabetes, arthritis, or anything you can think of.  The phenomenon existed before the internet did.

In the 70s people read about what was bad for you (also based on "studies") in the National Enquirer. Today they're in internet media. I consider the two delivery vehicles equally accurate in the long term.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@debic wrote:

@debic

Over the decades, "victim of propaganda from the X industry" is the story of most food scares. Which is why I pay no attention to any of them. There are new studies on the media weekly about this or that or something else "killing" people, causing cancer, Alzheimers, diabetes, arthritis, or anything you can think of.  The phenomenon existed before the internet did.

In the 70s people read about what was bad for you (also based on "studies") in the National Enquirer. Today they're in internet media. I consider the two delivery vehicles equally accurate in the long term.

Well said!! @Moonchilde

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I never read these articles.   I have spent many hours in courthouse record rooms and libraries doing genealogy searches, and have seen many death certificates with the cause of death listed as dementia or senility.   Only in cases where the patient had been, or was currently being treated for a specific problem such as heart, high BP, etc., was that listed first on the death certificate, followed by dementia, or senility.   My husbands great grandfather died in the early 1950's, at age 94, and his death certificate states senility as his cause of death.   

With todays health care knowledge, we are far more sensitive to the words dementia and Alzheimers, and have an abundance of information available to us on these conditions.   However, the conditions have always existed, they were viewed differently, treated differently, and any tracking, or possible studies did not trend in ways accessible to the general public, in order for us to know the percentage of people affected by these disorders prior to 1970.   

@RedTop

I'd like to make one comment here, a general one.

Though born, educated, married and lived all but 6 years of my life on the west coast, I was given multiple opportunities to spend summers with my mothers side of the family in Michigan.  This was a wonderful opportunity for a city girl to experience farm life.  I dare say not too many have been that fortunate.

To the point:  Food - In Michigan, every meal was fat heavy and I'd venture to say that at least 90% of that was animal fat.  When it came to dessert, which was almost always pie, the crust was always made with lard (pig fat).  Although creating a flakey crust, lard is NOT a healthy option.  And, though we now may go to the trouble of trimming fat from meat cuts prior to cooking/roasting/etc today, every single bit of fat back then was savored and mopped up with lard heavy white home-made bread or yeast rolls.

"Hardening of the Arteries" is what they USED to call it. I bet you dollars to donuts that my grandfather and a number of aunts had plaque in their arteries that didn't quit.  Evenutally, symptoms were very much like age-related dementia.

I honestly believe that as we consciously remove saturated fat from our diets, and likewise simple carbohydrates (COHs), we will all be better off.

Super Contributor

Once again, study with big headlines, but unable to differentiate between causation and association.  Pass me my Diet Coke.

Trusted Contributor

@willdob3. I was taught in nursing school many years ago that coconut oil blocked the absorption of nutrients when ingested.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I gave up sugary sodas 30 years ago, I do drink diet soda and I don't intend to stop.  I've read the articles and I have cut back to 1 or 2 cans a day.  But I can only take so much healthy living at one time...lol  I've eliminiated sugar, I've eliminated most simple carbs, I eat lean proteins and complex carbs.   I have lost 55lbs and I want to lose another 15.  Perhaps in a couple of years, I'll revisit the diet soda thing.  Maybe...

I'm exactly where you are.  I haven't lost weight as I've always beeen slender.  But, I eat mainly protein and complex carbs--lean protein at that.  I drink diet soda daily.  I don't intend on giving it up.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"