Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

I drink a can of Diet Coke a day. It's my only vice in an otherwise healthy diet so I'll just continue to enjoy it. But still good information to pass on! 😊

@GenXmuse Exactly! Knowledge is power....each person can decide for themselves,  how they choose to use the knowledge.  I know that dementia cases are rising and more younger people are showing the signs....  but until they narrow it down to a cause, it good to know what we can omit from our diet  that is not nutritional anyway that possibly could contribute to memory loss and stroke.....I.E. "pop".  At least we have a heads up and can make a choice to drink it or not.

Valued Contributor

My mom and dad both had cancer but were heavy smokers.  Most of my family lived to be in their mid eighties and did not eat anything special and did not really exercise.

They ate ordinary food.  They did not really drink soda or eat fast food because that was before their time.  I drink soda a few times a year.  I drink mostly tea, water and coffee. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I recently part of a Diabetes Summit & one of the presenters

talked about the Brain/Prancreas connection.  He stated, 

T2 Diabetes is now being called Alzheimer's of the Pancreas

and

Alzheimer's is being referred to Type 3 Diabetes of the Brain

With the increase on T2 diabetes, Alzheimer's/Dementia will

follow that trend...both have certain protein deposits. 

The mention of artificial sweeteners connected w/ brain health

is just a piece of the big puzzle...with many causes pointing

to the increase of Diabetes.  Just Google for more info. 😊

Honored Contributor

Anyone old enough to remember the "cranberry scare" ??????

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi yes and eggs, bacon, non-organic vegetables, parabens, butter, the sun, meat, sulfates, phosphates, white rice, bug spray, caffeine, areosal cans, sugar,  nail Polish, hair dye, artifical anything, red dye, fried foods, fast food, and on and on it goes.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Pook for !!!!!! I so agree with you.    At 76 Im going to enjoy my life and eat just about anything I want too. I remember Dr.Deen Adale said too all runners you can get out there and run yourself to death everyday and maybe you might get 3 more years.....

Trusted Contributor

In the summer, I love glasses of seltzer water, fresh squeezed lemon and lots of ice. I recently bought an electric citrus reamer (?) and that takes all the work out of it! To me, better than any drink. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I never read these articles.   I have spent many hours in courthouse record rooms and libraries doing genealogy searches, and have seen many death certificates with the cause of death listed as dementia or senility.   Only in cases where the patient had been, or was currently being treated for a specific problem such as heart, high BP, etc., was that listed first on the death certificate, followed by dementia, or senility.   My husbands great grandfather died in the early 1950's, at age 94, and his death certificate states senility as his cause of death.   

With todays health care knowledge, we are far more sensitive to the words dementia and Alzheimers, and have an abundance of information available to us on these conditions.   However, the conditions have always existed, they were viewed differently, treated differently, and any tracking, or possible studies did not trend in ways accessible to the general public, in order for us to know the percentage of people affected by these disorders prior to 1970.   

Honored Contributor

I gave up sugary sodas 30 years ago, I do drink diet soda and I don't intend to stop.  I've read the articles and I have cut back to 1 or 2 cans a day.  But I can only take so much healthy living at one time...lol  I've eliminiated sugar, I've eliminated most simple carbs, I eat lean proteins and complex carbs.   I have lost 55lbs and I want to lose another 15.  Perhaps in a couple of years, I'll revisit the diet soda thing.  Maybe...

Valued Contributor

Thanks, @Nightowlz, for posting that graphic with the soda info!!