Honored Contributor

may raise your risk of stroke and dementia.

Each person has to decide for themselves what they choose to eat and drink.  Many people say " OH EVERYTHING IS GOING TO KILL YOU" or they say "WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE OF SOMETHING".....   That is what smokers say to people who tell them the dangers of smoking, or  what people say when told they should stop eating certain foods.... it is a cop out of sorts.  But, to each his own.. I think knowledge is power and with knowledge we each can DECIDE what we want to do. I can not imagine wanting to do something that affects your health in a negative way, but that is just ME.

I quit drinking diet soda 4 years ago and switched to chamomile tea sweetened with Stevia. I drink it warm and cold depending on the season.    I guess I am glad I did  stop drinking diet soda now reading more and more articles on what sugar and diet sugars can do to our bodies.   

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/diet-soda-may-raise-your-risk-of-stroke-and-dementia/...

Honored Contributor

Seems like everything I pick up lately I later read will cause dementia.  It used to be cancer but now it's dementia.  I mostly just drink water, tap water.  I have an occasional soda but all things in moderation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I hate soda. I quit drinking it when I was around 20. Pretty much all I drink is water from our reverse osmosis system. I drink some lemonade every once in a while in the summer & crave oj in the winter even though I limit it. I also limit hot chocolate in the winter which I love but know I don't need. I saw this the other day about what coke does to your body 1 hr after you drink it.

If you cannot read the chart you can find it by searching What happens one hour after drinking a can of coke. If it does not pop up you can click on images. There is also a chart for diet coke.

article-coke-0730.jpg

Honored Contributor

I rarely drink any kind of soda.    I sometimes have a craving for ginger ale or a frozen Coke drink (Icee) but I drink water flavored with lemon or Skinnygirl drops constantly.  

Everything in moderation.

@SeaMaiden

Honored Contributor

Just another thing for the alarmists of the world to obsess over.  It's still nearly impossible to say that someone had any medical issue from anything!  I know only 2 people that have had real skin cancer (not the supposed precancerous spots that some call skin cancer and there is really just a small  chance they will ever become skin cancer) and neithier have ever spent much time in the sun and wear sunscreen all over even if not going out.  I know many (my dad one of them) who smoked and drank alcohol since they were about 12 years old and never had any diseases from smoking or drinking but I know 4 people who had lung cancer who never smoked or were even around many smokers and another 3 who had liver transplants that never drank a drop of alcohol.  I also know many who ate fatty fried and supposed unhealthy food that never had heart problems but the 6 I know who had heart attacks were health eating and exercise fanatics!  They first say butter is bad and margarine is good then it turns out margarine is disgustingly unhealthy and butter is good.  

If one were to listen to every "warning" out there there would be nothing to eat, drink or even do that would be considered safe!!  So do what you really feel is best for you and don't criticiize others for their life choices! 

Honored Contributor

It has been over 15 years since I had a soda of any kind - regular or diet. 

We are all in different places in our lives. Some people will stop consuming it sometime, others will drink it every day and never think twice. It may cause health problems for some, for others it won't be an issue at all. Such is life.

Honored Contributor

When I saw this in the news, my first thought was, Why didn't they just say artificial sweeteners? Why just "diet soda."

They are not saying its the carbonation so it must be artificial sweeteners which of course the FDA and the companies that sell them say they are safe but since they are chemically made, I've heard the body doesn't know what to do with them.

In moderation again.

As for Stevia, I tried to like it but it upset my stomach. I had thought it was a good "natural" thing. But I now see it is not just me. You either tolerated it and you don't. You can read about Stevia and its documented side effects.

I also noticed when it first came out, it was very expensive. Now getting cheaper.

I started using monk fruit even before it started becoming the next big and better natural sweetener, with no calories.I like it and don't seem to have bad effects from it but it is very expensive! Of course. That's the way things seem to go.

Gluten free-blah blah blah, very expensive but read some of the awful ingredients in gluten free products.And that everyone does not need to eat this way.

As everything, things affect everyone differently and we can do our own research and thinking and choose how much if anything we ever want to worry about.

Like others have said, every day something is now good, now not good, helps with this, causes that! So everything in moderation and everything taken "with a grain of salt." And so much of health is a person's genetics, how they are made up not just life-style.

And since in the report they admit they have not shown cause and effect of diet soda cuasing stroke and dementia, more studies need being done, I wonder why they are reporting it at all? Yesterday it was dangers of sugar and heart disease.Somehow it all must come back to money.

Maybe the makers of "natural" no calorie sweeteners, published this report.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I am enjoying a can of diet coke as I read this . .  .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

This is just one researcher's findings and they still haven't pinpointed the exact cause of the abnormalities. Until they, and others, can specifically say what it is that is causing the dementia then I'm not convinced it's the diet soda to blame.

It could be the other way around...maybe the people who are at risk or predisposed for stroke and dementia are the ones drinking the diet sodas...who knows.

Trusted Contributor

@Pook. I agree, I come from a long line of farmers, outside from sun up to sun down. There is not one case of skin cancer in my family. Ever. I think people are given their cards in the womb. Not saying one should ignore all health warnings, saying you can not control all things.