Respected Contributor

I gave up drinking diet soda about 10 years ago and have since found that I can't tolerate any kind of artificial sweetner. It makes me sick. My cravings for sweets also disappeared at the same time I quite drinking diet soda/using artificial sweetners. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

The oldest woman in the world who just died at 117 ate two eggs and some biscuits. She used to eat three eggs, two raw and one cooked.

What do the experts tell us about her diet and longevity?

Respected Contributor

I don't do artificial sweeteners.  I don't think they are any good for my body mearly because I feel I'm lieing to it.  Here you go body have something sweet..  brain says  Sweet  Hey, body I got sugar.. gear up to digest sugar! then...body says... STILL WAITING for Sugar... next thing you eat your body is allready geared up to Store, Store, Store!  It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

Esteemed Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

The oldest woman in the world who just died at 117 ate two eggs and some biscuits. She used to eat three eggs, two raw and one cooked.

What do the experts tell us about her diet and longevity?

genetics.

Did she smoke?

Did she drink?

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

I don't do artificial sweeteners.  I don't think they are any good for my body mearly because I feel I'm lieing to it.  Here you go body have something sweet..  brain says  Sweet  Hey, body I got sugar.. gear up to digest sugar! then...body says... STILL WAITING for Sugar... next thing you eat your body is allready geared up to Store, Store, Store!  It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

That's why you eat protein with carbs or something sweet.

Honored Contributor

That's all I used to drink having started with Tab.  Diet Coca Colas or root beers and Peipsi.  But I tapered off around 15 to 20 years ago and then dropped them from my diet completely, drinking water or coffee (no more than 2-3 cups a day).  Believe it or not, after I quit diet sodas I seemed to have more control over my diet for the first time in my life.  My cravings weren't as intense or weren't there at all!  Definitely noticed a change in my eating behaviors.

Someone mentioned the sun.  I've spent all my life avoiding it.  No sun worshipper here because I burn.  I use a sun screen faithfully and will still burn (I use at least 50 - 100) and I still have had many, many pre-cancerous lesions burned off.  My skin is English/Scots/Irish....  no melanin....nuff said.  Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

My neighbor who is 70 has never had diet soda in her life; she was just diagnosed with dementia. I think it is impossible to know if a specific food or drink causes it. Money seems to be what drives most of these studies. Find out who paid for a study and it may explain the results of it.

It sounds like the gluten-free craze is a hoax...celiac disease is the reason someone must avoid gluten....but now "gluten-free" is on almost everything and the price is almost double! I even asked a family member who is a physician and he said millions didn't suddenly develop celiac disease, it's just savvy marketing. He did say the caramel coloring in cola does irritate the bladder so if you have UTIs very often, switch to clear soda or fruit colored ones.