Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,573
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Diet and cancer study

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot  Yes obesity was only a PART of the study..being that the study focused on WHAT people ate. 

 

ETA:  I DID mention in my first post that being overweight was unhealthy.  I was wondering why that was the only focus of each post.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,488
Registered: ‎04-18-2013

@haddon9 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  Yes obesity was only a PART of the study..being that the study focused on WHAT people ate. 

 

ETA:  I DID mention in my first post that being overweight was unhealthy.  I was wondering why that was the only focus of each post.


@haddon9 

 

Yes, it's odd to talk about obesity when you're discussing bad diet.

 

Speaking of diet, I'm off to dinner!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,428
Registered: ‎12-13-2010

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@ellaphant 

 

I have known some very athletic women at around 5'4" that weighed around 140.  They have a high level of muscle.  So it's not an automatic OMG for a woman of that height and weight, although they are not the norm.  But 170 at 5'4" is very concerning.

 

Just wanted to set the record straight with the numbers.


Um...5'4" and 140 way too much..your friend may have been an 'exception'..but women are by and large not muscular like men . WOuldn't want to be 5'4 and 140. My closest friend is 5'7' and weighs 130.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,573
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  Yes obesity was only a PART of the study..being that the study focused on WHAT people ate. 

 

ETA:  I DID mention in my first post that being overweight was unhealthy.  I was wondering why that was the only focus of each post.


@haddon9 

 

Yes, it's odd to talk about obesity when you're discussing bad diet.

 

Speaking of diet, I'm off to dinner!


@QueenDanceALot  Why the only focus then?  According to the study" Excessive body weight, meanwhile, is associated with 7 to 8 percent of the cancer burden, and physical inactivity is associated with 2 to 3 percent."  Yes it's very bad health wise to be obese but there are so many other factors at play as well.

 

Enjoy your dinner.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

I question this study.

When it concludes low dairy intake is a contributor to cancer?

Doesn’t make sense...especially when there is a

mountain of evidence which proves differently.

 

🤔Wonder who funded this study....?🤔

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎01-26-2013

I know of several people who followed a healthy diet, exercised regularlly, did everything they 'were supposed to do' and still got cancer.  And no family history.  My opinion is that sometimes if you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it and nothing is going to change that.  Just like some people smoke like a chimney and never get lung cancer, yet someone else may get cancer from secondhand smoke.

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 109
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I get tired of hearing about obesity and cancer. I know so many slender people (who did not smoke or drink) and got cancer. If you are going to get cancer as another poster said, you are going to get it. We all have an expiration date.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,913
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Tyak wrote:

I know of several people who followed a healthy diet, exercised regularlly, did everything they 'were supposed to do' and still had heart attacks, X2.

 

 

 

@Tyak 

 

I know a guy that fits into exactly your quote I edited above. That guy would be me, except for the family history part.

 

Sure, there are several ways a person can/or might, reduce their chances of several deadly diseases. If there is a guarantee out there somewhere I would like to sign up. But I am and always have been a realist.

 

Right now I could not be in any better physical and mental shape, especially with all the decades I have behind me. I will continue the way I believe, not because of anyone's study, or beliefs. How I am living now is based on my many own experiences and mostly winning every battle I've had, so far, with life/death situations.

 

Nobody has THE crystal ball, thus no warranties of which I am aware. If doing or eating certain things is what an adult chooses to do? I have found that preaching/reading studies, or seeing graphic pictures or videos, seldom help some. But hey, I keep preaching anyways, the older I get and the healthier and physically fit I am?? More people seem to listen, some even act.

 

 

 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,840
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: Diet and cancer study

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

I question this study.

When it concludes low dairy intake is a contributor to cancer?

Doesn’t make sense...especially when there is a

mountain of evidence which proves differently.

 

🤔Wonder who funded this study....?🤔


The results were only a statistical correlation. There could be causal factors within the components of dairy that account for the results, such as low calcium intake for people. It’s not necessarily that low DAIRY causes cancer. It could be that things found in dairy are lacking the diet of the people with cancer. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,840
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: Diet and cancer study

[ Edited ]

Body mass is only a small part of the findings of the study. Eating of whole grains is an important result.