Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I question this study.

When it concludes low dairy intake is a contributor to cancer?

Doesn’t make sense...especially when there is a

mountain of evidence which proves differently.

🤔Wonder who funded this study....?🤔

The results were only a statistical correlation. There could be causal factors within the low dairy correlation, such as low calcium intake for people. It’s not necessarily that low DAIRY causes cancer. It could be that things found in dairy are lacking the diet of the people with cancer. 

It still doesn’t make sense.

Low calcium is not a contributor to cancer.

In fact, many, many official studies prove low dairy reduces the risk of cancer....so when this comes out saying people need to consume 

more dairy to reduce their risk, I read that with very ‘raised eyebrow.’

In summary....zero dairy=healthier lifestyle.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Body mass is only a small part of the findings of the study. Eating of whole grains is an important result. 

That, as well as reduction of processed meats

(like bacon/luncheon meat) and beef, is something I agree with! 

🌼💛

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Body mass is only a small part of the findings of the study. Eating of whole grains is an important result. 

That, as well as reduction of processed meats

(like bacon/luncheon meat) and beef, is something I agree with! 

🌼💛

The study was primarily funded by the National Institute of health. There were no private companies involved in the funding. I’m trying to provide a link to the full, original study. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Diet and cancer study

[ Edited ]

• “Colorectal cancer had the highest proportion of diet-related cases, with 38.3 percent of all cases in 2015 associated with suboptimal diets. This was followed by cancer of the mouth, pharynx, and larynx, which the study linked to diet in 25.9 percent of all cases.
  • Low whole grain intake was associated with the largest number and proportion of new cancer cases, followed by low dairy intake, high processed meat intake, low vegetable and fruit intake, high red meat intake, and high intake of sugar-sweetened beverages.
  • The largest number of cancer cases associated with poor diet was for colorectal cancer (52,225). That was followed by cancer of the mouth, pharynx, and larynx (14,421), uterine cancer (3,165), breast cancer (post-menopausal) (3,059), kidney cancer (2,017), stomach cancer (1,564), and liver cancer (1,000).
  • Of the diet-associated cancer cases, approximately 16 percent were attributable to obesity-mediated pathways.
  • Men, middle-aged Americans (45-64 years), and some racial/ethnic groups (non-Hispanic blacks, Hispanics, and others) had the highest proportion of diet-associated cancer burden compared to other age, gender, or racial/ethnic groups. “

Original study is only available as a pdf.

1. Zhang, F. F., Cudhea, F., Shan Z., Michaud, D., Imamura, F., Eom, H., Ruan, M., Rehm, C. D., Liu, J., Du, M., Kim, D., Lizewski, L., Wilde, P., & Mozaffarian, D. Preventable cancer burden associated with dietary intake in the United States. JNCI Cancer Spectrum, 2019 DOI: 10.1093/jnci/djz079

The comple, original study can be read here. Scroll down just below the article and press “PDF”

https://academic.oup.com/jncics/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jncics/pkz034/5492023

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I question this study.

The results were only a statistical correlation. There could be causal factors within the low dairy correlation, such as low calcium intake for people. It’s not necessarily that low DAIRY causes cancer. It could be that things found in dairy are lacking the diet of the people with cancer. 

In fact, many, many official studies prove low dairy reduces the risk of cancer....so when this comes out saying people need to consume 

The study does not say that low dairy intake is a contributor to cancer. The study found that low dairy intake is ASSOCIATED WITH a higher incidence of cancer. The incidence is not large.a For your own edification, Sid’s Mom. Carefully read the study and article. I know that you are highly interested in nutrition. By cancer type, colorectal cancer had the highest number and proportion of diet-related cases (52225, 38.3%). By diet, low consumption of whole grains (27763, 1.8%) and dairy products (17692, 1.2%). Low consumption of dairy was associated with a 1.2% increase in incidence. That’s not very high and it’s a correlation not a causation.

Honored Contributor

My personal takeaway from the study is that I need to watch my intake of whole grains. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I question this study.

The study does not say that low dairy intake is a contributor to cancer. The study found that low dairy intake is ASSOCIATED WITH a higher incidence of cancer. The incidence is not large.a For your own edification, Sid’s Mom. Carefully read the study and article. I know that you are highly interested in nutrition. By cancer type, colorectal cancer had the highest number and proportion of diet-related cases (52225, 38.3%). By diet, low consumption of whole grains (27763, 1.8%) and dairy products (17692, 1.2%). Low consumption of dairy was associated with a 1.2% increase in incidence. That’s not very high and it’s a correlation not a causation.

@Mindy D 

Not being very high and it being correlation/causation is understandable

but the fact low dairy is even mentioned in the same sentence as

insufficient whole grain intake (bad) & excess processed meat intake (bad)

makes one wonder who is behind the low-dairy-intake=bad conclusion. 

The three leading dietary factors attributable to cancer burden

through direct associations were insufficient whole grain intake,

insufficient dairy intake, and excess processed meat intake,

accounting for 26268 (1.7%), 17692 (1.2%), and 12741 (0.8%)

new cancer cases; and the two leading dietary factors attributable

to cancer burden through BMI- mediated associations were

low fruit intake and high SSB consumption, accounting for 3129 (0.2%)

and 3119 (0.2%) of new cancer cases.

Honored Contributor

This “study” is worthless.

Trusted Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Not surprised at all. Americans have the worst eating habits of all and highest rate of obesity. Processed foods, hight fat and sugar products. The averge woman now 5'4" and 140 pounds???  Way too heavy. Wake up, people! Eat well, lose the weight, and stay healthy. 

I would love to be 140 again at 5'4". I am bigger boned (honest) and I look quite decent at 140. When I was in high school I was 110-115 and of course looked terrific, but my face would really be on the floor at that weight now. I do agree with eating well and being healthy.