Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Diet and cancer study

[ Edited ]

Not surprised at all. Americans have the worst eating habits of all and highest rate of obesity. Processed foods, hight fat and sugar products. The averge woman now 5'4" and 140 pounds???  Way too heavy. Wake up, people! Eat well, lose the weight, and stay healthy. 

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Not surprised at all. Americans have the worst eating habits of all and highest rate of obesity. Processed foods, hight fat and sugar products. The averge woman now 5'4" and 140 pounds???  Way too heavy. Wake up, people! Eat well, lose the weight, and stay healthy. 

@ellaphant 

The average woman over 20 in the U.S. is 5'3.7" at a weight of 170.6 lbs. with a waist measurement of 38.2 inches.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@ellaphant wrote:

@ellaphant 

The average woman over 20 in the U.S. is 5'3.7" at a weight of 170.6 lbs. with a waist measurement of 38.2 inches.

OMG - even worse!

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant 

I have known some very athletic women at around 5'4" that weighed around 140.  They have a high level of muscle.  So it's not an automatic OMG for a woman of that height and weight, although they are not the norm.  But 170 at 5'4" is very concerning.

Just wanted to set the record straight with the numbers.

Respected Contributor

Yikes!  I'm 5'4" (used to be 5'6") and only weigh 102.  I'm really small boned and can't carry a lot of weight, but I used to look good at 115lbs when I was younger.  I'm very active and muscular, now and I eat plenty, but have a high metabolism.  I can't even imagine weighing 170 and being able to get up the stairs.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The focus of the study was not so much on the weight of people & cancer....though it's certainly not healthy to be overweight...but on WHAT people eat in their diets that can be a probable cancer cause. 

One can be very slim and appear healthy but still get cancer.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

The focus of the study was not so much on the weight of people & cancer....though it's certainly not healthy to be overweight...but on WHAT people eat in their diets that can be a probable cancer cause. 

@haddon9 

Of course someone can be slim and still get get cancer.

The points being made are that what you eat can contribute to getting some cancers AND that carrying too much body fat is a known risk factor in many cancers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@haddon9 

The points being made are that what you eat can contribute to getting some cancers AND that carrying too much body fat is a known risk factor in many cancers.

@QueenDanceALot   No kidding...every post previous to mine ony emphasized weight. Wondering why that is.  The study didn't focus on weight. It's a complicated issue.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@haddon9 

@QueenDanceALot   No kidding...every post previous to mine ony emphasized weight. Wondering why that is.  The study didn't focus on weight. It's a complicated issue.

@haddon9 

The article mentions obesity being a factor in cancer a few times.

It's an issue (and part of the study) whether it's "complicated" or not.