Respected Contributor

@tansy@Trinity11Your kindness overwhelms me, thank you!  I have yet another appointment tomorrow morning.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Keto makes me nauseous and seriously depressed.
Fasting is not good with my history of an eating disorder.
I no longer eat meat for humanitarian reasons but I still eat fish and dairy.
Low carb doesn’t work for me.

@bikerbabe, I know a number of people on the Keto diet because it's the latest craze.  What I see some of them eat makes me sick and I'm not the one eating it.  LOL  Snarfing down deep fried chicken wings by the dozen but they aren't eating carbs so it's okay!  My arteries clog watching them eat. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Those people are not following it the right way.  That's not what that diet is about.  

Keto is low carb with healthy fats,vegetables and fish/meats subsituted and/or included.

You just don't take out the bread and sugar and have at it no matter what.  That's insane.  Deep fried anything is not on any health list that I know of.  

Respected Contributor

Hi,

I quit the Lantus for a couple of weeks and kept my appointment with Endo.  My A1C was 13.....  I'm back on the diet and trying Levemer (spelling? not looking) and so far so good.

Morning numbers are down Cat Very Happy  I do wish this wasn't an issue for so many of us.  Thank you again for answering me and posting such helpful comments.

May we all feel better!

Cathy

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Hi,

I quit the Lantus for a couple of weeks and kept my appointment with Endo.  My A1C was 13.....  I'm back on the diet and trying Levemer (spelling? not looking) and so far so good.

Morning numbers are down Cat Very Happy  I do wish this wasn't an issue for so many of us.  Thank you again for answering me and posting such helpful comments.

May we all feel better!

Cathy

@Jackhound Mom...how are you feeling? With an A1C that high (not trying to frighten you but) you are looking at a risk of diabetic ketoacidosis. Make sure you keep an eye on your blood sugars and keep using the Levemir. Also check to be sure you are not spilling ketones as that would be an indicator of trouble. Also have your anion gap tested in blood work. With a 13 it could be a precursor of trouble ahead.

Has your physician suggested using not just a basal insulin such as Levemir but also a short acting insulin before meals? Sometimes just a basal insulin won't be enough to control blood sugars. A short acting insulin such as Novolog would help with every meal and you would have more leeway in what you could eat. Just a suggestion for better blood glucose control, feeling better and the ability to eat more of the foods that you enjoy.

Keep us posted how you are feeling. Heart

Honored Contributor

I was just reading about the THC Strain THC-V that suppresses appetite & balances blood sugars. Could pot help diabetics plus people that want to lose weight. It's also suppose to give you energy. Who couldn't use that?

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11  Thank you very much for your care & concern.  I am also dealing with some kind of stomach problem and am sceduiled for several tests.....  None of what you mentioned was mentioned to me, just a 2 month appointment which I cancelled because she was 2 hours away and I think my doc at the Fort can check these things out.  

I have not checked in here lately as we have had projects (already paid for) done along with these other appointments and I feel like 50 miles of bad road!

I hope you are doing well and I plan to ask my doc about everything you suggested when I see him for my test results next week.  In the meantime I have been eating very carefully and sticking to the diabetic diet I learned about last year.  My daily numbers have dropped 80 points so I know I caused my own problem by ignoring my diet Woman Embarassed

Blessings to all,

Hugs to @Trinity11

Cathy

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

@Trinity11  Thank you very much for your care & concern.  I am also dealing with some kind of stomach problem and am sceduiled for several tests.....  None of what you mentioned was mentioned to me, just a 2 month appointment which I cancelled because she was 2 hours away and I think my doc at the Fort can check these things out.  

I have not checked in here lately as we have had projects (already paid for) done along with these other appointments and I feel like 50 miles of bad road!

I hope you are doing well and I plan to ask my doc about everything you suggested when I see him for my test results next week.  In the meantime I have been eating very carefully and sticking to the diabetic diet I learned about last year.  My daily numbers have dropped 80 points so I know I caused my own problem by ignoring my diet Woman Embarassed

Blessings to all,

Hugs to @Trinity11

Cathy

Don't be hard on yourself @Jackhound Mom. Diabetes is an illness that no one asks for. In fact, I really believe just about all of us try our best. No one is perfect and don't forget we can have near perfection one day and then do the same the next day and have crazy blood sugar readings through no fault of our own. Diabetes is so unpredictable...the slightest thing can affect us. Don't forget we are trying to do what our pancreas cannot do. It isn't easy!

I will be thinking of you and hope that your health continues to improve. Heart

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  while it sounds logical that if you eat more fat you will get fat or clog your arteries, that is not how the body works.  There are hormones that tell certain types of calories what to convert into.  If you read up you will learn that clogged arteries are not caused by fat but rather insulin.  Insulin is the switch that converts fat to storage and clogs arteries.  More recent research shows that to reduce insulin one should consume fewer sugars and anything that converts to sugar (carbohydrates).  All this according to my mom’s dr.   Though not always the case, he now advocates a low carb diet.  My mom is finally off insulin and because of weight loss, off all other medications.  Obviously nobody is advocating eating deep fried anything but rather healthy fats from nuts, nut oils, avocado, etc.