Honored Contributor

Re: Diet Of Hope?

[ Edited ]

@Jackhound Mom

Remember...

Type 2 Diabetes is not a progressive condition & it can be cured.

Unfortunately, the longer T2 diabetics continue with a 

low carb/high fat diet, causing insulin resistance, the greater

chance the beta cells, once in working order, are permanently 

died off.   Changing the diet is imperative..sooner than later.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Jackhound Mom

Remember...

Type 2 Diabetes is not a progressive condition & it can be cured.

If a patient has little to no insulin production diagnosed with a c-peptide test, they cannot be cured. Basic knowlege any first year medical student would tell you. No diet can cure diabetes. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom Please explain how a low-carb high-fat diet causes insulin resistance.

Honored Contributor

@Flika13

If you are insulin resistant, there are fat stores within the muscle.

Intramyocellular Lipids.

Fat is not only in the muscle, but the liver...

both not designed to hold fat stores. 

Fat blocks the Insulin Receptors.

You eat something, turns to glucose, insulin begins to pump

and the insulin tries to unlock the receptor to allow glucose 

inside the cell. And it can’t open. Now what happens?

Your blood sugars are high, insulin is high...not ideal.

“But I’ll just eat less carbohydrates.”

Our bodies use carbohydrates for fuel. Also high fat begins the slippery slope of a multitude of cardiovascular issues, as well as cognitive issues.

“But I’m taking less insulin.”

Yes, but you are still insulin resistant. Still have a fatty liver.

Still have inflammation and risk for kidney disease.

Reduce the dietary fat & the insulin receptors begin to work properly.

The result will be eating a higher intake of carbohydrates w/ less insulin.

Insulin Sensitive.

This is Human 101. It’s not an opinion based post.

The information is available to anyone.

E351B88C-686B-49A6-ADF4-40D7A66F2D10.jpeg

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dietary fat does not turn into glucose!

Protein in moderate amounts does not turn into glucose!

All carbohydrates turn into glucose!

The fat stores you are referring to are not caused by dietary fat. They are caused by fat that is stored because there is too much insulin in the blood. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a completely new one on me.  

Receptors are actually activated by proteins and enzymes in your body.  Either you have the correct key to unlock the receptor (protein or enzyme) or you don't.  Fat is neither.  

What blocks a receptor are certain types of food like grapefruit whose acids are similar to the ones which bind with the same receptors cardiovascular drugs use which is why they are a no no. 

And some of the antagonist drugs we purposely take like the proton pump inhibitors which are specifically designed to match and block those specific receptors to stop the production of stomach acid to stop your heartburn.  That's literally how they work. 

Diabetes is about the pancreas and the insulin it produces or doesn't produce in response to the blood sugar level in the body.  Eat more sugar aka carbs, you're going to have a problem if the pancreas can't keep up.  Lower your carb intake and studies are showing you'll probably do your body a favor.   

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

This is a completely new one on me.  

Receptors are actually activated by proteins and enzymes in your body.  Either you have the correct key to unlock the receptor (protein or enzyme) or you don't.  Fat is neither.  

What blocks a receptor are certain types of food like grapefruit whose acids are similar to the ones which bind with the same receptors cardiovascular drugs use which is why they are a no no. 

And some of the antagonist drugs we purposely take like the proton pump inhibitors which are specifically designed to match and block those specific receptors to stop the production of stomach acid to stop your heartburn.  That's literally how they work. 

Diabetes is about the pancreas and the insulin it produces or doesn't produce in response to the blood sugar level in the body.  Eat more sugar aka carbs, you're going to have a problem if the pancreas can't keep up.  Lower your carb intake and studies are showing you'll probably do your body a favor.   

@Laura14... as a Type 1 diabetic for nearly 50 years I have probably heard it all. The pseudo-science and the outright untruths. It was refreshing to read your posts here today. Everything you have responded with is based on SCIENCE. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  You're welcome.  And as I said in another post, I am just giving the benefit of my recent medical training.  Others know a lot more than I do but when I know it's wrong or possibly outdated, I'm going to say something because misinformation is dangerous.  

I know we are all smart enough not to get our medical info off of a home shopping forum but if we're going to talk about it, let's talk facts or scientifically backed theories. 

And I fully understand that we don't know what we don't know yet.  But we have some good ideas so let's all keep learning and be open minded enough to know what's being shown as probably true today may just change in the future as we learn more.  Never close your mind to evolving science.  It's okay to change your mind.      

Honored Contributor

@Flika13 wrote:

Dietary fat does not turn into glucose!

Protein in moderate amounts does not turn into glucose!

All carbohydrates turn into glucose!

The fat stores you are referring to are not caused by dietary fat. They are caused by fat that is stored because there is too much insulin in the blood. 

@Flika13

Re-read my post

I didn’t say dietary far turns into glucose.

Dietary fats block the insulin receptors.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Trinity11  You're welcome.  And as I said in another post, I am just giving the benefit of my recent medical training.  Others know a lot more than I do but when I know it's wrong or possibly outdated, I'm going to say something because misinformation is dangerous.  

I know we are all smart enough not to get our medical info off of a home shopping forum but if we're going to talk about it, let's talk facts or scientifically backed theories. 

And I fully understand that we don't know what we don't know yet.  But we have some good ideas so let's all keep learning and be open minded enough to know what's being shown as probably true today may just change in the future as we learn more.  Never close your mind to evolving science.  It's okay to change your mind.      

@Laura14When I used to host Diabetic Support Groups, I always told patients to go by their glucose meter after a meal. If a patient runs higher with a meal of carbohydrates and no fat...the proof is right there in their glucose 2 hour postpranial. Eat a diet consisting of moderate amounts of fat and moderate amounts of protein, cut way back on the carbohydrates and that is a recipe for better control clarified by their glucose readings on their meters. No one ever debated it and we always had a board certified endocrinologist at the meetings. Everyone of us was in agreement..both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics.