Respected Contributor

Is this national or just a Tucson thing for Diabetics?  They are on line at dietofhope.org and their ad claims to reverse diabetics (type 2) back to normal.  If this is so why don't we all know about this?  I couldn't get anything to open up on their site the other day, anyone else?  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

It appears to be another Low-Carbohydrate diet.

Yes, reduction of carbohydrates to a dangerous level

will reduce insulin levels & the biomarkers will appear ‘normal’,

but this diet is not for long-term sustainability. A fatty liver will still exist.

In fact, any low-carb diet will keep the patient insulin resistant.

The only way to become the opposite, insulin sensitive,

is the reduction of dietary fats.

Diabetes occurs when dietary fat is within the muscle tissue & liver

(tissue not designed to store fat)...blocking the ‘locks’ to open

for insulin to come in & do its job.

Reduce the diet to 20-30 grams a fat per day...preferrably 

via a whole-food, plant-based diet.

Super Contributor

Dr Jason Fung has had good success with reversing T2 diabetes and helping T1’s have better control. My T2 neighbor was able to stop taking insulin after 2 weeks. 

He has many videos on YouTube. Check out  videos by Sarah Hallberg too.  

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately Dr. Jason Fung is also a Low-Carbohydrate advocate.

Upon further investigation, Sarah Hallberg is also low-carb, as well.

Not a protocol for long-term success. 

Respected Contributor

My internist has given me a paper with the info for Diet Of Hope a couple of times over the past 3-4 years, but although it may be a great program, it just seemed kind of hinky to me!   If you go to their website, they give almost no info about anything & you have to attend a seminar to find out anything specific.  I've seen a couple of TV commercials for Dr. Gann & his nutritionist wife on the local Tucson stations, but they just don't appeal to me.

Respected Contributor

@Flika13 wrote:

Dr Jason Fung has had good success with reversing T2 diabetes and helping T1’s have better control. My T2 neighbor was able to stop taking insulin after 2 weeks. 

He has many videos on YouTube. Check out  videos by Sarah Hallberg too.  

Thank you for the info about Jason Fung.  I purchased his ebook for $2.49 and it looks interesting.  I like to look at all sides of things. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom

Out of curiosity, I checked their ratings on Healthgrades & they don't have good ratings.   Also, they have a couple of complaints lodged with the BBB re: their practices & billing.

Folks were billed for a dr. visit when they never saw a dr. & they ran tests & then, didn't gave the patient the results of the tests, just pushed their diet. 

If you decide to proceed with them, be careful.  Like I said in my prior post, something about them just made me really uncomfortable & I never even got to the point of contacting them.

Super Contributor

Re: Diet Of Hope?

[ Edited ]
Hopefully most people are not so narrowminded as to believe that only one way of eating is good for everyone.  If a plant-based diet works for you, that’s great. If it doesn’t then you’ll have to find something else.
 If you are happy with your weight and health you don’t need to read any further. 
 If you are tired of being tired, if you are always hungry especially after eating carbs, can’t lose weight, maybe you need to change what and how  you eat. 

Insulin resistance, IR, is the cause of type two diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver, NAFL.  Dietary fat does not cause fatty liver disease. A diet that allows your body to store fat is the cause. 
Insulin resistance can be present 10 to 15 years before a diagnosis of diabetes. 

If a diabetic eats carbohydrates, either refined or simple, their blood glucose will be elevated. All carbohydrates turn into glucose. It doesn’t matter if it’s fruit, whole grain bread or a candy bar. If a diabetic eats fat and moderate protein it will have little impact on their blood glucose level. Isn’t it better to control your IR and blood glucose level by diet instead of drugs? 
The American and Canadian diabetics association still recommend eating carbohydrates at every meal plus snacks. Why would you eat something that is only going to make your diabetes worse?
Insulin is called the fat storage hormone. When you eat any carbohydrates or a large amount of protein your body produces insulin. A constant supply of insulin in your bloodstream will most likely eventually cause insulin resistance. Oh, and weight gain. 

There are genetic and lifestyle risk factors for IR. That is why some skinny people will have diabetes and some morbidly obese people don’t.

If your current way of eating is not working for you do some research. Look up intermittent fasting. It’s a great way to control your weight, IR  and diabetes. Low-carb and ketogenic ways of eating are sustainable long-term. Look at discussions  and Facebook groups about low-carb eating and fasting to read what real people are experiencing. 
Know the difference ketogenic and ketoacidosis.
“Ketoacidosis refers to diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and is a complication of type 1 diabetes. It’s a life-threatening condition resulting from dangerously high levels of blood sugar and ketones. It’s critical that you get prompt treatment.”
Ketosis is the presence of ketones and is not harmful.

Mom2four0418,  I hope you enjoy his book. Take a look at some of his videos or his website idmprogram.com. 
 Dr Jason Fung is a Canadian nephrologist.

Honored Contributor

Re: Diet Of Hope?

[ Edited ]

@Flika13  I agree with this wholeheartedly!   

And I'll add the benefits of low carb are even being attributed to brain health and dementia reversal which has been called by some diabetes of the brain.   

Do what's right for you but most doctors today who have kept up with the latest research will be on the low carb wagon for diabetes patients now.  It's all about the sugar aka carb levels in all forms that get into the blood and cause the issues most diabetics experience.  

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Is this national or just a Tucson thing for Diabetics?  They are on line at dietofhope.org and their ad claims to reverse diabetics (type 2) back to normal.  If this is so why don't we all know about this?  I couldn't get anything to open up on their site the other day, anyone else?  Thank you.

@Jackhound Mom, how are you feeling? Last time we posted together you mentioned you were seeing a physician about Lantus?

The diet you are posting about is a basic low carbohydrate diet. Nothing magical ...just a reminder that carbohydrate intake is the catalyst for higher blood sugars. Check your glucose monitor and a meal of potatoes and spinach (no fat added) will need a lot more insulin than a meal of a large salad with dressing and a chicken breast. 

Bernstein, Fung and any of the low carb advocates will help put Type 2 diabetic's into temporary remission if they still produce some insulin. 

Have you had a c-peptide test to determine if you are still producing insulin? That will determine whether with a low carb diet you can successfully go into a temporary remission. I say temporary because diabetes is a progressive disease and there is no cure.