Honored Contributor

Did you know there are 25 calories in a marshmallow?

Who knew?  Certainly not me.  The only reason I noticed is because the government has changed the law and calories per serving are in bigger bold numbers.  100 calories per 4 marshmallows with 27 carbs.  Why did I post this in Wellness?  Because I have developed some absolutely terrible snacking habits in this last year of enforced home confinement.  My meals are pretty healthy, but the snacking is out of control. Does anyone have any hints for me?  What usually worked would be to sign up for Weight Watchers meetings and go stand on their scale once a week.  Of course there are no meetings currently.

Honored Contributor

Re: Did you know there are 25 calories in a marshmallow?

Marshmellows come in different sizes. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Stop eating marshmallows ... just wasted calories.  There are many, many better snacks, healthy or otherwise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass     it is so hard isn't it? My downfall is crackers... I LOVE crackers. I eat very healthy but just can not quit eating crackers... I even count them out per serving and per calories.......  and make sure they have fiber and low or no sugar.... but it is so hard for me not to eat some everyday. I look forward to them! LOL! So I know I am addicted. I sadly can not give you advise.....

Honored Contributor

That is not so bad.  If necessary one marshmallow can be enough to staunch your craving.  But one teeny tiny M&M  as 3.4 calories.  Not too many of us can only just have one of those bad boys.  Thank goodness I do not care for either in my Blue Bell and/or cookie and cake.

M&M's - Wikipedia

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

What worked for me was veggies, veggies, and more veggies!  

I would snack on radishes, baby carrots and celery.  Broccoli and cauliflower too.  With a bit of salt.  It took a while, but I lost my sweet tooth.  

I am still working on the salt thing though...........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Oh, I do love my marshmallows!  Smiley Very Happy

I haven't had any lately, well, except for my beloved Pinwheels cookies.   Marshmallow with milk chocolate is one of my favs for sweets.

Good thing I control how much I eat a day.  It would be pretty easy to over-indulge and find myself overweight, and I don't want that.  But I DO want my sweets from time to time.   One of the few pleasures left in life for me.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

BTW, have you seen those bags (same brand that we're used to seeing) of GIANT marshmallows?    So good and they are so huge that one of them is perfect for a treat.

Another fav of mine, from the same national brand but I don't see them in the store often, is the ones (regular size) that are covered in toasted coconut.  So so so good!

Esteemed Contributor

27 g. carbs in 4 marshmallows? and basically all sugar with 0 nutritional value?

That makes many snack foods better than marshmallows.

If you were trying to sell me on the benefit of snacking on one or more marshmallows, you failed- sorry.

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

What worked for me was veggies, veggies, and more veggies!  

I would snack on radishes, baby carrots and celery.  Broccoli and cauliflower too.  With a bit of salt.  It took a while, but I lost my sweet tooth.  

I am still working on the salt thing though...........

Trying to lose weight and eating too many carrots are a disaster.  They are high in carbs/sugar.  I was eating them like crazy and couldn't lose a pound.