Honored Contributor

Re: Did YOU stop Veganism? I did ... !!

[ Edited ]

Still surprises me how so many people are mis-informed about diet.

Not eating meat/dairy/eggs/honey doesn't afford an

automatic weight loss.  There are m.a.n.y overweight/obese vegans.

If you're a proclaimed vegan & was hungry all the time,

it's obvious you were doing it wrong.

With carbohydrates & protein being 4 calories/gram,

and fat being 9 calories/gram....it's funny to see people

suddenly eating meat & proclaiming success...thinking it's 

a magical unicorn meat.   And Keto?  Heavens...crazy.

All the meat/fat of low carb, keto diets are a formula for

diabetes, heart disease & other modern day illnesses.

Low fat, whole foods, plant-based is the key to a

successful, long-term HEALTHY lifestyle.  

Always has been.

Always will be. 

Respected Contributor

Well, since I start a new job this week, I know what I'm going to do with all the sprouts I grew.  I'll just add some chicken, and I'll be all set for lunch!

(I still love raw sprouts and will prolly never give those up.)

Woman Happy

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Foods to Eat on The Paleo Diet

Base your diet on these real, unprocessed paleo foods.

Woman Wondering What to Eat, Large

• Meats: Beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork and others.
  • Fish and Seafood: Salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, shellfish, etc. Choose wild-caught if you can.
  • Eggs: Choose free-range, pastured or omega-3 enriched eggs.
  • Vegetables: Broccoli, kale, peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, etc.
  • Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, strawberries, blueberries and more.
  • Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, etc.
  • Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and more.
  • Healthy Fats and Oils: Lard, tallow, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil and others.
  • Salt and Spices: Sea salt, himalayan salt, garlic, turmeric, rosemary, etc.

Try to choose grass-fed, pasture raised and organic if you can afford it. If not, then just make sure to always go for the least processed option.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Did YOU stop Veganism? I did ...

[ Edited ]

(thread title)

No. I have followed my own lacto-ovo vegetarian food program since the mid 1970's, with several alterations with removing more food types.

I have no reason to change, however I have many reasons to continue, all of which have played a big role in my physical activities and survival.

Not interested in cosmetic reasons or my belt size, just my ability to survive things others do not, and continue my same lifestyle as close as humanly possible.

What others do and what they perceive to be best for them is up to them only. If changing makes you feel better and give you cosmetic changes to your liking, good for you.

hckynut(john)

ETA: OOPS! Misread title. I have never been a vegan, but know many that tried, and failed. Some not only failed, they went directly back to the unhealthy types of foods they hoped they could avoid.

I had/have no reason to want to be vegan. From the getgo it didn't​ seem like something I could follow the rest of my life when I was only 35 years old. My type of vegetarian food groups keep my fat levels and simple carbohydrates at a minimum.

With that I have reaped my decades of health/recoveries, and most of all, mental and physical satisfaction with what and who I am as a person.

hckynut(john) again!

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

All the meat/fat of low carb, kept diets are a formula for

Always has been.

Always will be. 

Have you ever responded to the fact that Dr. McDougall is okay with a fasting blood sugar reading of 150 to 300?  He encourages people not to test during the day because the high reading might upset them:/. 

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina  Yes, I really don't eat red meat very often, but I do eat a fair amount of fish, white chicken and turkey.  I also include a lot of legumes in my salads.  I like to eat rather small amounts of food all day long, and  I exercise a lot.  I also noticed that if I have an egg for breakfast I'm not hungry for hours, but if I eat cereal or a bagel, I'm hungry again in no time. I guess that has to do with blood sugar spikes from carbs.

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@software wrote:

A friend of mine is doing KETO, whatever that is

Mostly meat & fat, NO carbs or gains of any kind.

The weight melted off her & she feels great.

Congratulations

Yes, eating mostly meat and fat will put you in a state of ketosis whereby the body turns to fat stores for energy rather than glucose. The jury is out on whether a longer-term state of ketosis is dangerous for the body.

But the other thing to be concerned about is that a mostly protein diet can put tremendous strain on the kidneys, so it's certainly not something anyone with decreased kidney function should be doing. It has also been implicated in the formation of kidney stones and may have some impact on bones. I follow a higher protein, lower carb diet, but I understand that eating healthy carbs is important too.

I think she's either diabetic or pre-diabetic.   She told me the ups & downs with carbs & glucose are worse than any negatives about the protein & fat.    I think the key with diabetes or kidney problems is with excess protein.    I don't know the details but she seems happy & healthy

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

All the meat/fat of low carb, kept diets are a formula for

Always has been.

Always will be. 

Have you ever responded to the fact that Dr. McDougall is okay with a fasting blood sugar reading of 150 to 300?  He encourages people not to test during the day because the high reading might upset them:/. 

As always, there are certain posters who like to go off topic w/ 

v.e.r.y. little information.  

Not once did I mention Dr. McDougall, which is going off topic, but any plant based doctor will advise a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet for diabetes prevention and/or cure.  

Here's the full explanation.

Key is (and I'll bold for emphasis), strictly following the McDougall Diet and exercising slowly.  The McDougall Diet is a low fat (10-15% of total calories), whole foods plant based diet.  Once you begin the low fat plant based protocol, blood sugar numbers & blood presssure will drop quickly, reducing the need for insulin.

Believe what you wish. People heal themselves eating this way....with no pills, injections, no meds at all. 

IMG_1600.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Off topic or not, still no answer to the 150 to 300 fasting glucose numbers.  The 300 number would give someone an A1c of 12.  

Honored Contributor

A blood sugar of 400 sustained throughout the day ...even for a 24 hour period put me in diabetic ketoacidosis a couple of years ago. I think emphasizing plants is an excellent suggestion for everyone but it should be accompanied with medication if necessary and monitoring throughout the day if someone is diabetic.

Ignoring high blood sugars is a one way ticket to ill health ..no different than eating fat and sugar in over-abundance.