Respected Contributor

Re: Dial bar soap for a rash?

When I read your quote I always tear up in a good way. It brings back all the good memories.  Thanks ☺️ 

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

My mom is nearly 87 ,she has a bad rash under her breasts, one thing the doctor told her ,is to use dial bar soap.

How about oatmeal soap?  It's not as easy to find in the stores like it used to.  But, if you can find it, I think it's worth a try.

Respected Contributor

I personally cannot use dial soap. It always irritated my skin. It may have antibacterial features. I get rashes under my breasts from moisture. I am a RN and always instructed people to towel dry under the breasts, then use a hairdryer to further dry, then apply corn starch. I prefer GoldBond powder in the green container, extra strength. If I do this after showering, I never have a problem. 

Trusted Contributor

There are some different theories as to what can cause eczema--that it can be caused by a yeast or have a bacterial component to it.

When I'm feeling really stressed, I tend to break out in the folds of my skin, too.

There are different products that you can try.

There is a prescription powder that you can have prescribed by your doctor and it is called Nystatin powder. It is very finely milled, so it is best if you apply while lying down so that it doesn't fall off of your skin when applying.

Another product worth trying is Calmosceptine oitnment. It comes in both a smaller size and a larger size. It smells medicinal and it contains zinc oxide, calamine, and menthol. It actually feels cooling on your skin and if your skin burns and feels really itchy, this will help make you feel more comfortable.  It can be used for diaper rash areas.

Another product that I like is called Skin Smart. It is very gentle and can also be used on eczema, too. You need to apply it regularly and it takes time for the areas to clear.

Super Contributor

I like to use zinc oxide for any irritations of the skin.  After menopause, the skin thins out. I was noticing some irritations in some areas of the skin folds like under my belly or breasts.  This stuff works!

Frequent Contributor

Neosporin.

Trusted Contributor

If anyone is looking for an unscented, gentle, anti-bacterial soap, I found this on Amazon:

"Naturally Clean Unscented Antibacterial Castile Soap."

It comes in liquid form, which I prefer rather than a bar soap.  It is not drying and is fragrance free, and is very gentle on my very sensitive skin.

Respected Contributor

You might try basis soap which is mild and has no perfumes in it. Seeing a dermatologist is probably what I would do. The Dial bar soap does sound too harsh. I had a similar rash and found out it was the detergent I was using when washing my bras. I switched to All free and clear that I use for DH's clothes. His derm recommended it. I have not had a problem since. In the hot weather I use cornstarch powder also.

Trusted Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

You might try basis soap which is mild and has no perfumes in it. Seeing a dermatologist is probably what I would do. The Dial bar soap does sound too harsh. I had a similar rash and found out it was the detergent I was using when washing my bras. I switched to All free and clear that I use for DH's clothes. His derm recommended it. I have not had a problem since. In the hot weather I use cornstarch powder also.

@Trailrun23 

What is the best way to apply cornstarch powder?  Do they still make powderpuffs like back "in the olden days"?  Is it a baby powder that contains cornstarch, or pure cornstarch?

TIA.

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue 

You can find the round body size powder puffs at WalMart.  I have always used baby powder with cornstarch for absorbing moisture.