Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with diabetis

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

My point here wasn't that I need any help - I am fine and I know what I need to know to care for myself. The point I was trying to make is that doctors all over this country are doing to patients with no knowledge at all exactly what my doctor did to me - hand you a Rx and that is it. Take these pills and someone from your ins co may call you to go see a dietician or a class.  That is woefully inadequate care for people being diagnosed with this disease who have no background to know how to manage it. That is the point I am trying to make! And we the people just accept it.

Why would anyone in today's world have "no knowledge at all" about diabetes?  You assume a lot!  The news is everywhere, in magazines, on TV and the internet.  Most people have at least one of those to use.

Doesn't your Doctor know that you are a retired nurse and would have knowledge about the disease so he does not need to tell you things that, as a nurse, you should know already and also know that your husband is diabetic and you work with him and cook for him?

After you took the class at the YMCA and lost 30 lbs and your numbers are the same, you are overweight and a year older, I think you have a very smart, up to date Doctor!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Even though I know I can have Rxs for strips, etc. since I don't test routinely I have thought about buying a cheapie Wal-Mart-ish meter and their cheap test strips to test a few times a week, both out of curiosity and to whack myself upside the head as far was eating a little healthier. Couldn't hurt, as they say. I know those meters aren't as accurate, but they are something. The thing I am picky about is the lancing device; some are certainly more painful than others.

The meters I've purchased from WalMart have been accurate comparing them to the one I purchased with an RX from Kaiser.  I own three because I put them in various places. The lancets are "soft", light ****** and the test strips only require a very small amount of blood even compared to the test kit I purchased with my RX.  Worth looking into IMHO....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly, if yoyu say "Good Morning" on this board there will be someone to do whatever they can to start a fight over it, Well, I'll not be taking the bait. Fight among yourselves,

Esteemed Contributor

Same old song, same old verse......

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Even though I know I can have Rxs for strips, etc. since I don't test routinely I have thought about buying a cheapie Wal-Mart-ish meter and their cheap test strips to test a few times a week, both out of curiosity and to whack myself upside the head as far was eating a little healthier. Couldn't hurt, as they say. I know those meters aren't as accurate, but they are something. The thing I am picky about is the lancing device; some are certainly more painful than others.

The meters I've purchased from WalMart have been accurate comparing them to the one I purchased with an RX from Kaiser.  I own three because I put them in various places. The lancets are "soft", light ****** and the test strips only require a very small amount of blood even compared to the test kit I purchased with my RX.  Worth looking into IMHO....  

Thanks :-) The meter I was using when I was testing regularly (that was extremely accurate) was one that Walmart later sold as their own for years, inexpensively. I just discovered they no longer sell it, but I can buy it on Amazon, and the test strips are cheap too. And the company's own website sells a "year's supply" of strips, lancets, meter, case testing solution, etc for $90. It's the Wavesense Presto.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@151949

Since I have multiple cousins with Type II Diabetes, I hear you.  I only hope I don't get struck.

Couple of things:

1. Have you been signed up for Diabetes classes yet?

2. Are you committed to a new food plan and exercise plan?

3. Have you sought out a physician specializing in Diabetes?

4. Have you been hospitalized in order o bring your condition under control (not required in all cases)?

5. Did you take notes at that appointment and ask questions in return, receiving the answers required.  If not, keep at your doc until you do get those answers.

Relax.  This will work.  Start with a new doc and ask him/her to refer you to Diabetes Classes and appropriate test equipment. 

Honored Contributor

This was a huge topice at all our family dinners.

My sister's husband was tested late summer.  His fasting sugar was 99.  His Dr. reamed him out and said it would probably be in the 120s by afternoon. 

So 120s is high? 

His A1C was not at diabetes level, but was close.  So he bought his own test strips and tested here and there.  I think he said it's never been higher than 170 (?) and that was the morning after Halloween.

He was supposed to go back this month, but hasn't yet to get retested for A1C. 

I do know he has like a bulging vein in his leg that he's going to get ultrasounds done on.  They think the valve doesn't work good and the blood isn't getting back up.  I wonder if that's diabetes related?

I have a sweet tooth too and my numbers have always been good.  No one in my family that I know of has diabetes, but no one I know in my family has the sweet tooth I have.  I've got to start working on that right now.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

My sister's husband was tested late summer.  His fasting sugar was 99.  His Dr. reamed him out and said it would probably be in the 120s by afternoon. 

So 120s is high? 

His A1C was not at diabetes level, but was close.  So he bought his own test strips and tested here and there.  I think he said it's never been higher than 170 (?) and that was the morning after Halloween.

I do know he has like a bulging vein in his leg that he's going to get ultrasounds done on.  They think the valve doesn't work good and the blood isn't getting back up.  I wonder if that's diabetes related?

I have a sweet tooth too and my numbers have always been good.  No one in my family that I know of has diabetes, but no one I know in my family has the sweet tooth I have.  I've got to start working on that right now.

Doctors are tending to be proactive with pre-diabetic patients now. And that's a good thing.

FBS of 99 is classic borderline. 75-85 is desired. I would kill for a 2-hr post-meal BG of 120. The 2-hr post-meal  target *for diabetics* is below 140.

A morning pre-meal FBS of 170 is definitely diabetic numbers.

Diabetics certainly have circulatory issues, but what you describe could be a lot of things, not necessatily diabetes-related.

I too have a killer sweet tooth (always have had, since my teen years) and oh, how I wish I had paid attention and eaten even moderately more healthy much, much sooner.

Start small, but start.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

So 120s is high? 

For years and years a FBS of > 140 and a A1C of 7.0 or > . However a few years ago they decided to change it to a FBS of >110 and an A1C I believe of >6.5 (not positive of that #) . Now they are diagnosing many more people and doing less and less to treat those they do diagnose.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

So 120s is high? 

For years and years a FBS of > 140 and a A1C of 7.0 or > . However a few years ago they decided to change it to a FBS of >110 and an A1C I believe of >6.5 (not positive of that #) . Now they are diagnosing many more people and doing less and less to treat those they do diagnose.

All of this fuss and you haven't even bothered to look at the ADA website to know what the 2015 Diabetes guidelines are?

I know lots of people who are diabetic and they are all doing quite well under their Doctor's care and advice.

After you took the class at the YMCA and lost 30 lbs and your numbers are the same, you are overweight and a year older, I think you have a very smart, up to date Doctor!