Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My point here wasn't that I need any help - I am fine and I know what I need to know to care for myself. The point I was trying to make is that doctors all over this country are doing to patients with no knowledge at all exactly what my doctor did to me - hand you a Rx and that is it. Take these pills and someone from your ins co may call you to go see a dietician or a class.  That is woefully inadequate care for people being diagnosed with this disease who have no background to know how to manage it. That is the point I am trying to make! And we the people just accept it.

I'm in total agreement with you on this and when I was given information so much of it was contradictory.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@151949 wrote:

A1C was 6.3 and FBS was 134 - same as it has been for at least 3 or 4 years. Up to now the doctor says he can't order me any meds for it because it would drop way too low. But this week - pow - your a diabetic and he puts me on metformin. Then he doesn't even order me a meter so I can watch my blood sugars !!! I guess  this diagnosis just depends on his mood the day you see him. Whatever. I am not starting any meds with the potential to make me very ill by bottoming out my blood sugar until after Christmas day.  Thank goodness my DH is a diabetic so we do have a meter - but I think that was very irresponsible of this doctor, just saying.

As an RN, you would be aware that it's almost impossible for your BS to go low on Metformin alone.

My doctor didn't provide me with anything but prescriptions for a meter and test strips. I got the meter free with my Rx and purchased test strips covered by my insurance and lancets. Went back to my doctor's office for a f/u and had the nurse educator help me practice finger sticks, and I was on my own.

What I found bizarre was that my diagnostic FBS was 550 and they started me only on lowest dose Metformin and didn't seem the least concerned.  In retrospect, that seemed poor practice to me. Heaven only knows what my initial A1C was, they never told me.

You can buy a meter but not the supplies - test strips and the needle to ****** your finger without a Rx.

I find it incredible that with a FBS of 550 you weren't put in the hospital and started on insulin.

Yes, me too, in retrospect once I learned more about the disease and just how high that number was.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@151949 wrote:

A1C was 6.3 and FBS was 134 - same as it has been for at least 3 or 4 years. Up to now the doctor says he can't order me any meds for it because it would drop way too low. But this week - pow - your a diabetic and he puts me on metformin. Then he doesn't even order me a meter so I can watch my blood sugars !!! I guess  this diagnosis just depends on his mood the day you see him. Whatever. I am not starting any meds with the potential to make me very ill by bottoming out my blood sugar until after Christmas day.  Thank goodness my DH is a diabetic so we do have a meter - but I think that was very irresponsible of this doctor, just saying.

As an RN, you would be aware that it's almost impossible for your BS to go low on Metformin alone.

My doctor didn't provide me with anything but prescriptions for a meter and test strips. I got the meter free with my Rx and purchased test strips covered by my insurance and lancets. Went back to my doctor's office for a f/u and had the nurse educator help me practice finger sticks, and I was on my own.

What I found bizarre was that my diagnostic FBS was 550 and they started me only on lowest dose Metformin and didn't seem the least concerned.  In retrospect, that seemed poor practice to me. Heaven only knows what my initial A1C was, they never told me.

You can buy a meter but not the supplies - test strips and the needle to ****** your finger without a Rx.

Yeh, I thought it was totally weird you could just buy the lancets off the shelf. At the time I was going to be testing 3-5 times a day and wanted insurance to cover, so for that reason I had a Rx for specific test strips to go with my meter (which were and are still expensive) so they would be minimal cost to me.

I no longer test routinely as my every 3 months A1Cs are between 5.3 and 6.0 just on Metformin max dose. I have repaglinide (Prandin) to take occasionally for a carby meal Thanksgiving, Xmas, etc.). I have (rarely) gone low from that. And while Metformin will at times cause me to have "issues" (LOL), I tolerate it generally well.

Honored Contributor

For newbies, I would also recommend diabetes forums. There are 2-3 very large and active ones to be found on googling that can be extremely helpful to those with questions, and many eager to help. I also did a huge amount of online reading in general.

Honored Contributor

Am sorry to learn of your recent diagnosis, but know you will be able to take what you know, and work with your physician to manage your healthcare needs successfully.  Genetically, I have diabetes coming at me from every side of my family, so I have chosen to take an aggressive approach with my pre-diabetes diagnosis, and am keeping my A1c under 7.0, which is my target goal, set by my physician.

I appreciate doctors who prescribe a tried and true medication like Metformin, rather than newer drugs that do seem to work well, but have not been out long enough to know their overall affect on the body.  Unfortunately, my system did not tolerate straight Metformin in any dosage, so I take a combination drug, which includes Metformin.  

Our household has lived with diabetes for nearly 20 years, and I am thankful my daughters have a higher awareness of this disease to be taking proactive steps now, in their 30's.   Our teacher daughter has her first student with Type 1 diabetes this year, and is far more comfortable helping this student with checking his blood sugar levels, and managing his food and snacks during the school day, than the school nurse.  

Best wishes to you with this new challenge in your life.  

Respected Contributor

Test strips and lancets can be bought on amazon.   I wouldn't think test  strips  would be on the shelves at pharmacies because of the price and theft factor but I think you would be able to buy them without a prescription.

Honored Contributor

The OP knows the prescription is crucial in getting her insurance to pay for the meter, and all supplies.  No one with insurance needs to pay for these supplies out of pocket.   

Honored Contributor

Even though I know I can have Rxs for strips, etc. since I don't test routinely I have thought about buying a cheapie Wal-Mart-ish meter and their cheap test strips to test a few times a week, both out of curiosity and to whack myself upside the head as far was eating a little healthier. Couldn't hurt, as they say. I know those meters aren't as accurate, but they are something. The thing I am picky about is the lancing device; some are certainly more painful than others.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Even though I know I can have Rxs for strips, etc. since I don't test routinely I have thought about buying a cheapie Wal-Mart-ish meter and their cheap test strips to test a few times a week, both out of curiosity and to whack myself upside the head as far was eating a little healthier. Couldn't hurt, as they say. I know those meters aren't as accurate, but they are something. The thing I am picky about is the lancing device; some are certainly more painful than others.

For me, the Walmart one was often 20% off my brand meter's readings.  My brand name meter agrees with my a1c readings. I know other people are happy with the device though so...

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

******************************************************************************************************

I found this kind of strange.  I would have said :  "Unfortunately, my husband is a diabetic"....... just sayin'