Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@katiescarlett wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

It's all about the food!!

If I'm reading posts correctly, I believe you are the same poster that attended a pre-diabetic class series awhile back.  It stressed really Low-Fat nutrition.  

Dietary nutrition is ONLY way you can beat this!  

Low-fat, Whole-foods, Plant-based nutrition makes this a thing of the past.

It's been proven time & time & time & time again.

You're on the edge of the cliff ready to step off into the downward spiral of diabetic medications, blood sugar monitorings & endless needle pric*s.  

Wrong information, like you & countless others have received, will keep you sick forever.

But you CAN beat this.

Eat the right foods & Diabetes Life Sentence will be gone.

Low Fat Whole Foods Plant Based way of eating is the

CORRECT nutritional plan to beat this.  

Actually, "dietary nutrition" is NOT the only way to beat it. Yes, proper nutrition and portion control are critical, as is weight loss if you need to lose some weight.  But  exercise is a key component in keeping blood sugar levels in the normal range.  I am diabetic, and I can tell you that exercise has been an important part of keeping my A1C and blood sugar levels at a normal level.  I don't take insulin.  I strongly suggest that the OP consult the website of the American Diabetes Association as a source of information and help.  But you  need to work with your physician, as well as a nutritionist.

There are OTHER aspects to diabetes that will affect blood sugar.  And one aspect that is critical is STRESS.  

.....if you ALREADY have diabetes.

I had a very stressful job for 30 years.  

My SO is a police officer & ex-military.  

Never once did I...nor he currently...has had diabetic...anything.

All the more reason to eat the correct diet of LFWFPB if you do.

It's such a simple fix. People want to be sick. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@katiescarlett wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

If I'm reading posts correctly, I believe you are the same poster that attended a pre-diabetic class series awhile back.  It stressed really Low-Fat nutrition.  

You're on the edge of the cliff ready to step off into the downward spiral of diabetic medications, blood sugar monitorings & endless needle pric*s.  

Wrong information, like you & countless others have received, will keep you sick forever.

But you CAN beat this.

Actually, "dietary nutrition" is NOT the only way to beat it. Yes, proper nutrition and portion control are critical, as is weight loss if you need to lose some weight.  But  exercise is a key component in keeping blood sugar levels in the normal range.  I am diabetic, and I can tell you that exercise has been an important part of keeping my A1C and blood sugar levels at a normal level.  I don't take insulin.  I strongly suggest that the OP consult the website of the American Diabetes Association as a source of information and help.  But you  need to work with your physician, as well as a nutritionist.

There are OTHER aspects to diabetes that will affect blood sugar.  And one aspect that is critical is STRESS.  

I was specifically talking about those WITH diabetes, not stress CAUSING diabetes.   I understand you are trying to help others.... and your fixation on your way of handling your eating is fine for you and those who also believe in it but accusing the public of wanting to be sick (or not healthy) not only is insulting to those of us who have Diabetes but irresponsible information to those embarking on this journey.

Developing diabetes is not wholly dependent on eating sweets and fatty foods. GENETICS is actually the largest contributing factor in developing Type 2 Diabetes~!  (Google)

I've always eaten healthy, I was an athlete (2nd degree black belt - lots and lots of exercise!) for years and years..... and taught it. There is NO medical data that Diabetes can be cured.  It can be controlled and it can even go into a type of remission (especially after a dramatic weight loss) but there is no "cure" for it. (Google)  

As I mentioned, I know you are trying to help people but  It's not ALL about the food. Learning everything there is to learn about Diabetes (from reputable sources) is the ONLY way to get the depth of understanding needed to be successful on a daily basis and to help those just starting out.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Sidsmom - you have a VERY incorrect ideas about diabetis. You are wrong on many things in respect to this very complicated disease. When I went to nursing school we spent one entire semester learning about diabetis  and that was decades ago - much more has been learned since then. It is clear to anyone who really knows about diabetis that you don't. You seem to have read a lot on one aspect - and I can't say I even agree with all of that - but there is so much more than you know. You have no right at all toi make statements like "people want to be sick" Shame on you. If you were really well educated on the subject of diabetis you would be ashamed of yourself for saying that.

First off, I do have correct ideas about DIABETES.

I can spell it correctly.

The point is moot after using "diabetis" which is a clear indication of the lack of knowledge.

One can try to place emotion onto me, but I'm not backing down on this.

It's a man made disease. 

It's a man made cure.

My instructors are more qualified.

Food (LFWFPB) is the answer.

OMG.... please do your own research.  If you are getting all these explanations from "Instructors" then you need to find out what their motive is because they are WRONG.   No emotion, just fact.  Do you pay money for these classes?  Do they sell special foods?  Do they sell books?  Sell you anything?  Your own research, or getting answers from Diabetic professionals in the field who want nothing from you (like the nurse in this thread who is 100% right)... is the only way to get correct information.

Super Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with diabetis

[ Edited ]

First of all diabetes is an autoimmune disease where the patient cannot digest carbohydrates.   Type 1, TYpe 2 and Type 1.5 have different methodology in stabilizing their blood sugars.  There are so many factors that one size does not fit all.   Mine is considered controlled well with an A1C of 5.9.   It is hard work to maintain but with lots of exercise and a low carb diet I am trying to lower my numbers.  So many factors change your numbers even when you eat exactly the same things several days in a row.  I am Type 2 after living many years taking high doses of prednisone pushed me over to the dark side.  My carbs often are under 40 mg a day.   When I followed the grain diet suggested my numbers were not controlled.   I could not tolerate any of the drugs other than Actos.  Actos has been linked with bladder cancer so it left my doctor no other option than insulin.  Even then I was intolerant of Levemir.   I am sharing this with this group to illustrate that this is much more complicated disease that cannot be fixed with a simple plan.  Like children it takes a village to raise a child and diabetes takes a village to manage a patient's healthcare.  

Jmho

Trusted Contributor

I haven't read all the responses yet so excuse me if I'm repeating what someone else may have said. 

Metformin is not know for causing lows that's one of the reasons it is a good starter med for type 2 diabetes. It can cause some intestinal issues so it's good to start with a very low dose(500mg) and work your way up to the prescribed  amount -- to get your system used to it. Metformin er is known to be easier on the system if regular metformin causes too many problems. 

Take heart to know that it is possible to get diabetes under control with proper nutrition, exercise and meds. Once under control you may also be able to stop taking metformin. 

Honored Contributor

One of the reasons my blood sugars are as high as they are is that I take a small amount of inhaled prednisone daily to control my asthma. prednisone is well known to raise blood sugars. 

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@katiescarlett wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

But you CAN beat this.

WRONG as usual.

Super Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with diabetis

[ Edited ]

I take Advair Diskus daily for my asthma as well as a rescue inhaler and nasal inhaler making my blood sugars higher during allergy/asthma episodes.   Just got off a month course of prednisone and working to get my numbers stable as they were before.    With diabetes, prednisone as well as other meds react to either spike or lower blood sugars.   It makes with big difference in treatment plan.  That's why one size doesn't fit all.  Good luck on your progress.   One day at a time makes a difference.   I test 6 times a day helping me stay on track.   Contact your doctor telling him he forgot to send the prescription to your pharmacy for testing kit and strips.   He needs to fax that to your preferred pharmacy.   

Trusted Contributor

My DH has been type2 for 18yrs.  He found out one day when he came home and I told him we had to get to ER  IMMEDIATELY, his count was 600!!!  In the hospital, they worked really hard to get his levels down.  He thought they were starving him.  A diabetic deitician worked to get him the proper food to eat,  gave him a personalized dietary amount to eat daily.  3 Meals, 3 SNACKS daily, we recieved a chart of everything he could eat and everything he could not eat.  You would be surprised at the things on those two lists.  I know I was.  I weighed in at 120lbs, his weight was 298lbs.  Desserts are allowed, the first time I gave him ice cream after he came home, he accused me of just being stupid.  I went back to the kitchen and put the one quarter cup of ice cream in the measuring cup and  with his personalized menu from the nurse, took it back to him.  He ate it, no complaints. He was used to a cereal bowl full of ice cream.  

He checked his blood 6 times a day,  just like he was told.  Then he started complaining about sore fingers.  Now he does only 2 pricks a day.

He was originally on Humulin, now it is another insulin added and 4 other meds, because he is back to eating like originally. 

Stress and sickness adds a different blood count, excercise measure differently, it is important to take those pricks and measure all the time.

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR DOCTOR!!  DIABETES IS NOT JUST A DISEASE, IT IS A JOB FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!--------tedEbear.

Trusted Contributor

Get your health and nutrition advice from an actual physician, diabetes educator, and registered dietitian (most insurance will cover a session with the dietitian for a newly-diagnosed diabetic). who can guide you through this.

After reading just a few posts from people on these forums, it is clear that many are clueless about the disease and advocate certain things based upon their own perceptions and agendas rather than any sort of medical expertise.

This is your disease now, and you must deal with it.  It is not something that you can rely upon anonymous posters on a shopping channel message board about whom you know absolutely nothing.