Valued Contributor

Diagnosed with a ear infection but no ear pain.

My adult son has been very sick all week and much worse over the weekend.  Today he went to the Dr and was diagnosed with a ear infection.  The thing is, he was not complaining of ear pain.  He was complaining of a sore throat, muscle aches and fever.  They did test for strep, negative, they told him his throat hurts from post nasal drip. 

I am very worried.  I have a personal friend whose son died from the flu.  My son is on a antobiotic now but still no earache.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with a ear infection but no ear pain.

I had an inner ear infection once.  No pain at all.  It caused balance issues.  I could not get up out of the chair really fast or I would lose my balance.  People at work thought I was drinking because I didn't walk straight down the corridors.  It took a very long time to go away with antibiotics.

Valued Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

I had an inner ear infection once.  No pain at all.  It caused balance issues.  I could not get up out of the chair really fast or I would lose my balance.  People at work thought I was drinking because I didn't walk straight down the corridors.  It took a very long time to go away with antibiotics.

Thank you for responding!  He also got a note for staying off work for 3 days.  He works at a restaurant.  The DR even made my son call his work in his presence!  Maybe that is it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

Thank you for responding!  He also got a note for staying off work for 3 days.  He works at a restaurant.  The DR even made my son call his work in his presence!  Maybe that is it. 

At least he can rest for the next few days.  I hope he feels better soon.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Warrior2022 wrote:

My adult son has been very sick all week and much worse over the weekend.  Today he went to the Dr and was diagnosed with a ear infection.  The thing is, he was not complaining of ear pain.  He was complaining of a sore throat, muscle aches and fever.  They did test for strep, negative, they told him his throat hurts from post nasal drip. 

I am very worried.  I have a personal friend whose son died from the flu.  My son is on a antobiotic now but still no earache.

@Warrior2022 

My adult son also has these same symptoms and yesterday his Dr said he has a sinus infection.

Trusted Contributor

Yogi Herbal Tea Throat Comfort® Caffeine Free

This throat comfort tea with honey works really good for a sore throat. 

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022We just had that type of sickness too but in Canada.They called it a type of super cold not a flu.You feel bad like you have the flu and tired for about two weeks.We darank lots of lemon and ginger tea with a tsp of manuka honey until we got better.We seemed to pull through faster than most.The coughing is really bad after a few days and you can cough until you choke...nasty cold.