Esteemed Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with Gerd and hiatal hernia.

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee wrote:

On Wednesday had the endoscopy test. Follow up appointment with the doctor not until 5/5/22. Informed that a couple of biopsies were done but no test results yet. Received new medicine yesterday. I will have a lot of changes to make. Anyone else dealing with this and care to share ?

@SouthernBee 

Yes! I have been dealing with this, and more, since my 1st Endoscopy. I went in as Asymptomatic. I had it done primarily  because of my brother-in-law's  diagnoses with Esophageal Cancer. Nothing bothering me at all.  My results:

GERD

Hiatal Hernia

Inflamed Esophagus 

Barrett's Esophagus 

I thought they had my results mixed up with someone else's Endo. Nope! Had to get an Endo every 3 months for a year. Then every 6 months for 2 years. Then annually. Now it is every 3 years, and I have one scheduled in June.

This is because Barrett's is a precursor to Esophageal Cancer. Have been taking 20mg. of Nexium(or its generic) twice a day since. Barrett's is remaining the same, and I still have no symptoms of any of the 4 aforementioned in my original diagnosis.

Why? I believe it's because of have been sleeping in a recliner since before my very 1st Endoscopy.

ETA:  After reading your later post I see you wanted to know more than just relating to your issues. For me sleeping in a recliner is the main reason I never have had any gastric symptoms of GERD. 

Since being a lacto-ove vegetarian since the mid 1970's, not eating greasy foods might be part of it, so you might look at your eating habits, like what you eat and when. 

Since you haven't had a follow up with your doctor you will likely get that advice to follow. If  your biopsies revealed Barrett's Esophagus or something bad, your doctor would have notified you for sure.

My issues have changed nothing in my life other than getting all those Endoscopies, which to me were nothing but some of my time.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@cantdrive55 : Totally agree and understand. I will be drinking more water.

Honored Contributor

@judianne : Oh my goodness. That is scary. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter : In my town and the best hospital just had 4 gastro doctors to retire. I was shocked that I was given the first appointment very fast  since I was a new patient and the test was scheduled a week later. They indicated will possibly call by Monday for the biopsy report. The other hospital all the gastro doctors are not accepting new patients.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn : Thank you. So sorry that you have been dealing with so many things. Because of other issues - have been sleeping in a recliner. The last few years dealing with weight gain and a constant struggle. Other health issues very difficult to exercise. I don't know if you remember but I took your advice and purchased a recumbent bike. Some days - I can use stretch bands to lift my left foot on the pedal or DH has to help me. Will keep you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers.

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee 

My wife and I went through 14 years of he!!, from 2002-2016. One of us was in the hospital much of those years. Her primarily for serious or emergency surgeries, me for a multitude of different serious medical issues.

We are doing fine right now and hopefully it will remain that way. I remember suggesting a recumbent, have done that for many over my years on this forum. I hope it helped you some with your issues.

Best wishes to you in working through/with your issues. 

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@judianne wow I've never heard of a hiatal hernia being that 

bad!!   I can certainly understand you not wanting to go through that all again ,  it sounds horrible !    Is there anything else that can be done besides this surgery ?    I hate being ignored when I mention something to a doctor ,  I'm with you on that.   Some Drs just don't have empathy .     I hope something can be figured out to avoid that surgery .  Do you have good gastrointronoligist?

Regular Contributor

hi all...I've been dealing with severe GERD and a hiatal hernia for a long time.  I take 20mg nexium 2xday, Before I eat breakfast, and with my nighttime meds.  If I have a problem during the day I take a plant enzyme, 2 chewable, which helps.  I have adjusted my diet, and do cheat occasionally, but at dinner I try not to eat spicy, and definitely not too late.  I drink coffee and eat chocolate, not in excess, and not later in the day.  When I wake up sometimes I can taste the acid, UGH!!!   My bed frame is lifted up by block where my head is.  You can buy them on amz,,,or just use blocks.  I use two pillows, and try to wait at least 1-2 or more hours before laying down.  I have a colonoscopy and endoscopy about every 3 years because my Mom and Sister both had colon cancer, but were successfully treated. My Father passed from esophageal cancer many years ago before they had any treatments.  I'm scheduled for both again in May.  We must all be assertive today, especially when dealing with medical issues!!  If you're not happy with your doctor, get recommendations and interview new ones!  I always check them out online and ask my internist if she knows them!  I will not wait for results, yes a few days or a week at most, then I get on the phone and get them!!  My health is the utmost of importance to me, and I'm my own advocate!  If you can't be, then get an assertive person to do it for you!  I wish everyone good health, and successful treatments!!

Frequent Contributor

I have been on Aciphex (RX for Gerd & Ulcer) & I have a Hiatal Hernia also.  Been in ED twice with symptoms of a Heart Attack but it was my Hernia which I was told can give you symptoms of a H A!  Since I lost weight the Hernia hasn't bothered me but I still need the Aciphex for Gerd. It is very expensive but my Ins pays  quite a lot for it & I have a Copay.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Flady1 wrote:

hi all...I've been dealing with severe GERD and a hiatal hernia for a long time.  I take 20mg nexium 2xday, Before I eat breakfast, and with my nighttime meds.  If I have a problem during the day I take a plant enzyme, 2 chewable, which helps.  I have adjusted my diet, and do cheat occasionally, but at dinner I try not to eat spicy, and definitely not too late.

I drink coffee and eat chocolate, not in excess, and not later in the day.  When I wake up sometimes I can taste the acid, UGH!!!   My bed frame is lifted up by block where my head is.  You can buy them on amz,,,or just use blocks.  I use two pillows, and try to wait at least 1-2 or more hours before laying down.

I have a colonoscopy and endoscopy about every 3 years because my Mom and Sister both had colon cancer, but were successfully treated. My Father passed from esophageal cancer many years ago before they had any treatments.  I'm scheduled for both again in May.  We must all be assertive today, especially when dealing with medical issues!!

If you're not happy with your doctor, get recommendations and interview new ones!  I always check them out online and ask my internist if she knows them!  I will not wait for results, yes a few days or a week at most, then I get on the phone and get them!!  

My health is the utmost of importance to me, and I'm my own advocate!  If you can't be, then get an assertive person to do it for you!  I wish everyone good health, and successful treatments!!

hckynut(john)