Honored Contributor

They think it could fuel new treamants for the disease

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320635.php

Honored Contributor

Hi @cherry...I just pray that the next generation will benefit. Everything is very slow in the world of diabetic science. When I was diagnosed in the 60's, I was told a cure was just around the corner. Both my children are Type 2 in remission from low carb dieting. My son was diagnosed at age 18. I hope a cure comes very quickly for everyone afflicted with this wretched disease.

Hope you are doing well and your husband is staying well.Heart

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  we are doing well.  I switched over to Nexium and am hoping it works better for me than Prilosec

We are trying to avoid the flu as much as possible

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry

This is promising new, especially for Type I diabetics.  For them, could be huge news.

(Went back east for the funeral of an uncle and stayed with a cousin and her husband, both of whom were/are really obese.  On my last night there, we went out to dinner and they ordered a carb and calorie laden dinner, then immediately each one reach into my cousin's (the wife) purse and pulled out a pouch, then proceeded to inject insulin into their insulin pumps!!!!!!  What the heck?!  I'm thinking if you're not doing your job to eat decently....really can't say what I was thinking.  Found out on that trip that of my 13 remaining cousins 10 have Type II diabetes!  Unbelievable...)

Honored Contributor

@sfnative  I am a type2 but I don't need insulin. My hope is that I will never need it ,but I can't be sure

My parents were both type2 and they lived into their 90's without taking it

Some people just have more severe strains, and some just won't adhere to a diet.  You never know when you are out, how people eat when they are at home.  I do indulge occasionally but, 99% of the time I watch what I eat

People looking on have no idea how hard it is being diabetic. It is a 24/7 lifestyle and  my Dr says once in a while I can indulge.  My A1c is always normal

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@sfnative  I am a type2 but I don't need insulin. My hope is that I will never need it ,but I can't be sure

Some people just have more severe strains, and some just won't adhere to a diet.  You never know when you are out, how people eat when they are at home.  I do indulge occasionally but, 99% of the time I watch what I eat

People looking on have no idea how hard it is being diabetic. It is a 24/7 lifestyle and  my Dr says once in a while I can indulge.  My A1c is always normal

@cherry

Cherry,

Am so happy for you that you're treating your body like the temple it is.  It's hard to do.  I know that from experience, because I was born wanting to eat carbs, which is not the least bit funny, but people have laughed at me.  Anyway, I'm with you all the way, having recently started The Mayo Clinic Diet to lose 38 lbs gained while on Depakote rx (my neuro), plus I want to add another 12 for an even 50 loss.  I really like the Mayo plan, which spares my kidneys, for the most part.

(My paternal grandfather was Type I, so this is always in the back of my mind.)

Take care and be well.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@cherry

This is promising new, especially for Type I diabetics.  For them, could be huge news.

(Went back east for the funeral of an uncle and stayed with a cousin and her husband, both of whom were/are really obese.  On my last night there, we went out to dinner and they ordered a carb and calorie laden dinner, then immediately each one reach into my cousin's (the wife) purse and pulled out a pouch, then proceeded to inject insulin into their insulin pumps!!!!!!  What the heck?!  I'm thinking if you're not doing your job to eat decently....really can't say what I was thinking.  Found out on that trip that of my 13 remaining cousins 10 have Type II diabetes!  Unbelievable...)

I am Type 1 but have lead many a Diabetes Support Group. Insulin is a fat building hormone and when most Type 2's use insulin, they gain weight. It also leads to extreme appetite and a lot of Type 2 diabetics on insulin are insulin-resistant. I don't judge because the disease itself causes food cravings. 

Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Hi @cherry,

I wanted to thank you for such a well-said and thoughtful post. Heart

I really look forward to reading your comments, because they tend to show so much concern and sensitivity towards others, too.

Esteemed Contributor

Runs in my family... Type 1 and 2.  I hope they have made breakthroughs                      

Respected Contributor

My niece has Type 1 (age 10) she is now 28yrs old.  She drinks alcohol alot and smokes...not a good combo with this....I do wish they could find a cure with this new breakthrough.