Honored Contributor

Re: T2 Diabetes Home Glucose Monitoring Study Results

@docsgirl wrote:

This topic came at just the right time for me as I was diagnosed on Friday, June 16.  My fasting blood glucose was 144 and my A1C is 7.9.  My doctor told me I was 'officially diabetic.,' but didn't say what type. I'm 71 years of age and have never been sick a day in my life other than a cold or bronchitis.  He put me on Metformin and I will be attending Diabetes Education classes in July.  I don't take shots and I wasn't told to test for anything.  This is all so new to me and my eating habits have to change radically.  I'm scared and know this is my fault.  For several years my doctor kept telling me that my blood sugar was gradually rising and if I want to avoid becoming diabetic I needed to change my eating habits but I chose not to heed his advice.  I know it's up to me to get this under control.  I love to eat all the wrong things.  If anyone has any suggestions before I get to the classes, please pass them on to me.  Any and all information would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks so much.               docsgirl

Learn as much as you can at the Diabetes Classes you are about to attend as they hold the key to changing your lifestyle.  It's not a prison sentence and watching your numbers can become a game you get good at.  

I've been diabetic for ten years.  My diet wasn't awful, but I didn't pay attention to it.  I have no diabetics on either side of the family.  However, I was put on Simvastatin and was on it for over a year and a half while suffering from a reaction to the Statin drug.  Not too long after, I was diagnosed Diabetic.  There is a correlation between Statin drugs and developing Diabetes.  

http://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/can-cholesterol-lowering-statin-drugs-trigger-diabetes-/

"They" say the risk is very small and taking statin drugs is more beneficial to overall health than running the risk of developing this disease, but I disagree.   There is an epidemic of Diabetes!!  Interesting when you think of all the Statins prescribed... an epidemic of Statin drugs.  I don't think this is coincidence. 

Simply put, listen to your doctor and follow his instructions.  Your classes will be valuable in learning the difference between simple carbs (white starches) and complex carbs (fiber starches) and portion sizes.  Don't freak out, take it one day at a time and you'll make the right food choices!  

I've been on Metformin for ten years and it has recently been touted as a drug that may help extend life spans.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/280725.php

'Cheap and widely prescribed diabetic drug may have beneficial effects' for all

In total, there were 7,498 deaths during the study. Lead author Professor Craig Currie, from Cardiff University's School of Medicine, reveals:

"What we found was illuminating. Patients treated with metformin had a small but statistically significant improvement in survival compared with the cohort of non-diabetics, whereas those treated with sulphonylureas had a consistently reduced survival compared with non-diabetic patients. This was true even without any clever statistical manipulation."

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

@Q4u  You wrote

"They" say the risk is very small and taking statin drugs is more beneficial to overall health than running the risk of developing this disease, but I disagree.   There is an epidemic of Diabetes!!  Interesting when you think of all the Statins prescribed... an epidemic of Statin drugs.  I don't think this is coincidence." 

I agree.  There are too many Type 2's with no family history being diagnosed with this. Of course even more concerning is the number of misdiagnoses of Type 2 when in fact the person is Type 1. Right now I am having a battle with my doctor. He changed my diagnosis to Type 2, because, he says, and I quote "Adults don't get Type 1."  Somebody should have informed Mary Tyler Moore about this. The nurses, CDE and his PA have all tried to tell him he is wrong, but he will not put back the correct diagnosis. The only good thing I can say, he didn't decide to be really stupid and take me off insulin. I have Lupus, an autommune disease and he should know better, but he doesn't. How the heck he has missed the correlation between autoimmune diseases and Type I, boggles the mind. He is an internal medicine doctor, not an endocrinologist. The two endos we have here are both nasty, dismissive docs, and refuse to see uninsured diabetic patients, so I am rather stuck with the doc I have. I just go there to get insulin prescription refills, and I pretty much ignore whatever nonsense he is spouting.

As for Type 2's more research is showing that the weight gain/obesity may have nothing to do with Type 2 diabetes, there are more genetic factors than initially recognized. The diabetes may be the cause of the weight gain, rather than the other way around. I am disgusted with the constant blame game going on in media and here on the forums. Blaming someone for a condition does nothing to improve health, and is more harmful. JMHO.

@sidsmom  I was a vegetarian for 5 years, then became a vegan for 2 years. That is when I developed Type 1 diabetes. I have always been physically active.  So clearly, in my case my diet was actually quite good. The hospital dietician was NOT at all happy with my vegan diet. Neither was the CDE I talked with prior to being discharged.  No one thought that diet was good for autoimmune diseases either, which was a surprise to me. I eat a very low carb, low fat, high fiber diet now, with lean meats, poultry and fish. I eat healthy fats in very low amounts. Instead of eating starchy grains and vegetables, I eat romaine lettuce as a "bread substitute" when having a sandwich, and I use spaghetti squash or riced cauliflower in place of pasta, rice, or potatoes. Chia seeds take the place of cereals for breakfast.  My problem with your "recommendations" is that you persist in saying someone can CURE Type 2 with Plant Based. They may be able to control it, but not cure it. (And I am skeptical of that too) You also play the "blame game". That assumes things you do not and cannot know, and is just plain hurtful to those struggling with Type 2. And believe me, diabetes, whatever the type is a constant struggle. I am sure you probably mean well, but a less militant approach, and avoiding holding yourself up as the poster child for avoiding the diseaes would go a long way to being more useful. You most likely have no genetic predisposition, but what if by some fluke you did develop it? Never say never, it can come at you and bite you in the most posterior aspect. Again, JMHO.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo

I have made incredible changes to my diet.  I also use lettuce as "bread" to hold my sandwiches together.... my A1C's went from 12 to 6.3 three months from diagnosis and I've kept them around that low number for ten years now.... what I find incredibly frustrating is the lack of understand (even in the Medical community, but especially the public that FOOD ALONE DOES NOT CONTROL DIABETES!  Stress, anxiety and PAIN will knock your numbers completely out of control even if you are eating the same diet.

I eat the same thing in the morning, every single morning... 2 cups of coffee with non-dairy Mocha Mix and one Glucerna Snack and my numbers are running 90 around 11:00 a.m.  BUT some mornings I am in pain (my neck from  a serious fall in 2010 and TMJ I 've had since I was 8)....  and I see my numbers jump when this happens.... often as high as 155.  

Aspirin helps the pain and inflamation and in response I have less pain and ultimately a better reading....

But try and explain that to the doctor who keeps telling me to watch what I eat!!   I eat the same things I've been eating for ten years.... and it's a balanced, healthy Diabetic diet that I'm used to.... it's the rest of my body reacting to life's stresses and my own physical pain that causes much of the anomalies....  

Valued Contributor

@Q4u  I understand completely what you go through. I do the same things and eat the same things every day. I will have several days of fantastic numbers. Then out of the blue, for no apparent reason, my BG's will go haywire. Yesterday my BG's were over 225 all day, and the only thing I can attribute it to is some jaw pain. I have TMJ and some days that really hurts. . Nothing I did brought it down. Today, I am back to good numbers. This disease is so darn frustrating, and most docs just don't get it.

A friend of mine living in another state has a great endo doc. The doc wears a Continuous Glucose Monitor and an insulin pump with sterile saline in it, rather than insulin, as he does not have diabetes. He does all the things he recommends to his patients, so he can truly understand what they go through. He also only hires nurses and other staff that have diabetes, whether Type 1 or 2. I wish all doctors would do that. If you don't have this disease, you really can't understand what it is like to live with it.  

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo - It's great to have someone understand this!!  Seriously!!

This morning I had the same things as always and my numbers were 79 by 11:00.  All I can say is that I didn't have pain this morning and my stress was reduced.  

Also, I've been stressing because we've decided to move into the city and I've been overwhelmed by the idea of paring down (even tho I'm looking forward to it) and deciding if I wanted an estate sale or not.  Many of my cherished antiques will go and that's ok, but I had a hard time dealing with organizing the task AND we found the house we want (it's being built) but won't put our house up for sale until the end of July (completion date is Dec). We'll have to have a contingency sale.... and that makes me nervous as well. 

The other morning I woke up to the idea of renting an antique booth (I used to do this at three antique malls years ago) and thought... this might be the answer.  We might get a little more for the items than an estate sale and we can move the stuff out of the house... which helps clear my mind.  Well.... the price was so good at the Mall I selected (compared to San Diego, LOL!) that I gave them a check the same hour I came in.... and moved as much in as I could that same day before they closed~!  Did the same thing the next day (Sun) and will be going back tomorrow.  

I think that unloading this particular stress has helped a lot!  Today's been a great day for my numbers and food has had little to do with it.... I basically eat the same stuff day in and day out... boring, but useful and healthy.

That's incredible what your friend's doctor does.... I don't think I've ever known (or had a friend who knows) of a doctor who does this.... amazing.  I agree 1,000% that unless you have this disease and are maneuvering life with it.... you'll never have the depth of understanding required. It absolutely is NOT only about food..... And whomever may say that XXX-diet is working because they've never gotten Diabetes can't say that with a straight face, not without medical markers/testing or some kind of scientific proof.  After all, that person is still sailing through life and no one knows what will/won't come OR WHY.

I've mentioned it before.... I have no genetic tie to this disease. I've always been active physically, softball, basketball, soccer, running, aerobics, modern dance, etc. and from college up to my 50's (Karate as well) and Tai Chi as I've gotten older.  My diet has always been varied, pretty healthy and I never gorged on anything...   so my suspicion has strongly been the statin drugs when I read about the connection.

Everyone should have their own opinion... but following a diet that works for you and is approved by your doctor, having blood tests that show true results (A1C, cholesterol/Lipids),  with a doctor who actually understands the disease and all that goes with it is the best thing anyone can do....  other, more radical advice should be taken with a grain of salt.  Look into it if so inclined, but absolutely get the ok from your personal physican. 

Honored Contributor

Just on this board there are posters constantly saying their doc ordered them a diabetes drug and that was all. No dietician, no classes , no testing machine. They think all they have to do is not eat sugar and that's all. It is truely pathetic how poorly newly diagnosed diabetics are treated.

Valued Contributor

Thanks to all for the advice.  I'm sorry not to have replied sooner but my computer was out of commission and in the computer hospital.  I can get QVC on my KIndle and smartphone but cannot access the forums.  I started exercising but am really having a difficult time cutting out the carbs I so dearly love.  My Diabetes Education Classes begin on July 11 and will run for 3 days.  I'm sure I'll learn a lot there.  I know they will teach me how to eat and that is my biggest obstacle.  I can eat 3 slices of pizza and a whole bag of potato chips with ice cream for dessert.  I know that has to stop.  I'm so grateful to all of you and will keep you posted on my progress.  God bless.    docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Just on this board there are posters constantly saying their doc ordered them a diabetes drug and that was all. No dietician, no classes , no testing machine. They think all they have to do is not eat sugar and that's all. It is truely pathetic how poorly newly diagnosed diabetics are treated.

I totally agree, as one of those whose doctor wrote them a Rx for Metformin and suggested no dietician or classes and didn't provide me with a meter, that many newly diagnosed diabetics are not handled well by their doctor, and it's a real shame.

It doesn't mean that all such patients need to remain clueless, however, it just means they need to take extra initiative for their own health. I found my own way to diabetes forums, and asked my doctor on my own for a Rx for a dietician and a meter and test strips - and I brought the meter into the office and asked for a NP or PA to show me how to stick myself and test properly. I bought carb-counting books and eat-this-not-that books to refer to constantly, I learned to read the label on every item I put in my mouth. It's definitely a process.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all