Respected Contributor

Valued Contributor

Re: T2 Diabetes Home Glucose Monitoring Study Results

[ Edited ]

This is just my opinion, as I am a Type 1 and must test.

The only problem I see with the study: If a Type 2 is testing and "eating to their meter" to keep blood glucose under tight control, then testing makes sense.

If a Type 2 is testing but not doing anything with the results, then it is useless.

The Type 2's I interact with on a daily basis are testing frequently because they are "eating to their meter" and are under very tight control.

Testing once a day or once a week probably is worthless as is testing but not acting upon the results.

I also have to wonder if the study is going to "help" insurance companies either deny coverage for strips or severely limit the number of strips allowed even more than they already do. 

I am suspicious of all of this.

No intent on my part to anger any Type 2's, this is really just my analysis of the whole thing.

edited to fix a typo or two.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

This is just my opinion, as I am a Type 1 and must test.

The only problem I see with the study: If a Type 2 is testing and "eating to their meter" to keep blood glucose under tight control, then testing makes sense.

If a Type 2 is testing but not doing anything with the results, then it is useless.

The Type 2's I interact with on a daily basis are testing frequently because they are "eating to their meter" and are under very tight control.

Testing once a day or once a week probably is worthless as is testing but not acting upon the results.

I also have to wonder if the study is going to "help" insurance companies either deny coverage for strips or severely limit the number of strips allowed even more than they already do. 

I am suspicious of all of this.

No intent on my part to anger any Type 2's, this is really just my analysis of the whole thing.

edited to fix a typo or two.

@CatLoverDogsToo Yes, a great way for insurance companies to stop paying for glucose strips or severely limit them. Like yourself, I am suspicious.

Many Type 2 diabetics need to test because many oral agents can cause hypoglycemia. Are these patients supposed to guess? I have read diabetes care in the USA isn't much better than Third World countries. Any study that WANTS to prove something usually does.

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11  "Many Type 2 diabetics need to test because many oral agents can cause hypoglycemia. Are these patients supposed to guess? I have read diabetes care in the USA isn't much better than Third World countries. Any study that WANTS to prove something usually does."

Very true!

– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

I've had T2 for about 10 years now.  And you DO need to test.  There are so many factors involved it can be scary.

I have two cups of coffee with Mocha Mix (non dairy creamer) every morning.  I have a very low sugar, no fat, high protein oatmeal bar every morning.  I get up at 6 a.m. and by 11 a.m. my numbers are usually around 80, but can go up to 120 or down to 60.  Why?  When what I eat and drink is exactly the same every single morning..... probably stress of some kind.

But the point I'm making is that I need to know what that number is, especially if it's falling.  Sometimes I feel sick from it going down, sometimes not so much.  You have to know!  Because if you can't get it back up to a normal reading and it keeps falling, you'll need medical help! 

I also have suspicions as to the results of this study....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

IT A with all of you: I live by my meter-and yes, I do let it dictate how and what I am going to eat...but I have encountered so many people who just say, "I'm going to have what I want-in a smaller portion-because nobody is going to take my enjoyment of food away from me"....so, they might have chicken, broccoli and stuffing....their 2hour post is 160, but they measured out their portion of stuffing that gives them 30 grams of carbs ( not much-and they decide it's not enough, so by Heck, they are going to eat a decent serving).....

Even if they stick to the limit and the 2h pp is 165, they will not change anything. They see it as they were given an AMOUNT of carbs rather than QUALITY.

The "human factor"? I don't know what to call it, but I guess that's it.....I have neuropathy, and G-D's sake, my A1c has been between 4.8-5.2 at its highest. We don't know for sure what's going on with me, but I find it frightening when I have numbness or killer pain in my extremities.....: I will continue to choose cauliflower rice over the grain, and cauliflower/mashed potato conglomeration over the regular.....

My list could go on and on.

My point is, we are aware of how food affects us and I really believe DE might possibly needed to be expanded beyond introductory courses. From the way things are looking, that will not be done.

Poodlepet2

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u @Poodlepet2  I am chiming in again, despite the fact that I am a Type 1. It gladdens me that you both take all this seriously and do test.

The thing that scares and aggravates me is when I hear a person with Type 2 say to me: "Oh, I don't have to worry. I eat what I want, I don't have the "bad diabetes", I'm not taking shots." I am helping my daughter redo her new classroom and I cannot tell you the number of teachers and parapros that keep saying this.

Someone asked me how I liked the meter I was using, as I had just finished testing, before injecting and eating some salad. One of the teachers then started telling us she is a Type 2 on insulin, but she does what she wants, while eating donuts, cookies and loads of tootsie rolls during the meeting. She never left the room to test or give herself a shot. I asked her when she intended to do either of those things, and she actually said: "Oh, I'll take some insulin when I get home later, I don't bother to test." Oy vey!!!  I was seeing "red" at that point, but said nothing. She is entitled to be as irresponsible as she chooses.

There isn't a "good" type of diabetes, all of it is serious. 

This study most likely will further the opinion of some that their Type 2 isn't serious.

I hate to break it to folks, but if you don't take care of yourself, any beta cells producing insulin will eventually die out and then you will be on insulin. If you aren't testing, how the heck can you ever know where you are, what foods are affecting your blood sugar and what ones have minimal impact?

And now, I am stepping down off my soapbox again. 

– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

IT A with all of you: I live by my meter-and yes, I do let it dictate how and what I am going to eat...but I have encountered so many people who just say, "I'm going to have what I want-in a smaller portion-because nobody is going to take my enjoyment of food away from me"....so, they might have chicken, broccoli and stuffing....their 2hour post is 160, but they measured out their portion of stuffing that gives them 30 grams of carbs ( not much-and they decide it's not enough, so by Heck, they are going to eat a decent serving).....

Even if they stick to the limit and the 2h pp is 165, they will not change anything. They see it as they were given an AMOUNT of carbs rather than QUALITY.

The "human factor"? I don't know what to call it, but I guess that's it.....I have neuropathy, and G-D's sake, my A1c has been between 4.8-5.2 at its highest. We don't know for sure what's going on with me, but I find it frightening when I have numbness or killer pain in my extremities.....: I will continue to choose cauliflower rice over the grain, and cauliflower/mashed potato conglomeration over the regular.....

My list could go on and on.

My point is, we are aware of how food affects us and I really believe DE might possibly needed to be expanded beyond introductory courses. From the way things are looking, that will not be done.

Poodlepet2

Thank you for sharing your insights Poodlepet2.

I have a question that I would like to ask you. I was under the impression the Type 2 diagnosis is made largely based on the A1C test numbers. Aren't yours in the non-diabetic range?

Thank you for any clarification you can give me.

Respected Contributor

Hi @wonderfulworld! At the time I was diagnosed, my A1c was 7.7 .

I worked hard at lowering my A1c: for me, my regime has worked, but there are others who try just as hard and get nowhere with lowering their numbers.

I am not in the Diabetic range (I get tested every three months), but I am still Diabetic. Unfortunately, it is not going to go away-and for most people, it gets worse with age. I will continue doing what I'm doing.

I will say, frequent testing and correlating the numbers with how I feel -and making dietary adjustments has helped me.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Hi @wonderfulworld! At the time I was diagnosed, my A1c was 7.7 .

I worked hard at lowering my A1c: for me, my regime has worked, but there are others who try just as hard and get nowhere with lowering their numbers.

I am not in the Diabetic range (I get tested every three months), but I am still Diabetic. Unfortunately, it is not going to go away-and for most people, it gets worse with age. I will continue doing what I'm doing.

I will say, frequent testing and correlating the numbers with how I feel -and making dietary adjustments has helped me.

Poodlepet2

Thank you very much for the clarification. You certainly are working very hard to keep healthy and well. Continued good health!