Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

@onlyshopsonline. Congrats on your weight loss! Glad things are looking better for you. Thanks for input.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Everyone is different can't be emphasized enough. A c-peptide test can tell how much insulin a person makes. The longer a Type 2 patient has diabetes the more likely their pancreas will produce less and less insulin. Also there are antibody tests that can diagnose type 1 1/2 diabetes which in most cases insulin will be necessary for good control. 

That's why someone's neighbor may be able to eat pizza yet someone else will run a high hours later. Pizza is notorious for raising blood sugar hours later. Also the longer a patient has diabetes the more likely gastroparesis may have an effect on when the blood glucose rises. 

The best way to determine what foods a diabetic can eat is diligent use of a glucometer. Trends in blood glucose are invaluable in putting together an individualized food plan that accomplishes the A1C your medical provider has set for the patient.

The diabetic's reaction to fried foods is often referred to as "the pizza effect" because it works the same way. The fat, in both pizza and fried foods, causes unpredictable, delayed effect on BG. A 2 hr pp (postprandial, i.e. after meals) BG might be good, but a 4-5 hr might register OMG what's going ON? It would be a good idea, for those who need a piece or two of pizza once in a while (and we ALL "need" treats), to check at 2 hrs, and 4-5 hrs just to see what the numbers are.

I was 153 2 hrs after eating and now 5 hrs after I am at 96. Do you think its a safe range?

Honored Contributor

All diabetics need to count carbs. They need to read the carb count of every single thing they put in a grocery cart.

But restaurants are harder. There is a series of small, pocket-sized books called "Eat This Not That" which are easy to carry around. They were my bible when I was diagnosed. There is one for the supermarket, one for restaurants including most major fast food chains, one for cooking, weight loss, 350 calorie meals. Not expensive. Widely available. Google them. I would recommend one or more of them for every newly diagnosed diabetic. Amazon carries all of them if you search "Eat This Not That" on the site.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde@Poodlepet2@cherry and others: Reading and getting concerned about vigilante I have to be counting carbs & watching "sugar" numbers. No one is mentioning if they are on any meds for Type 2 and still have diet so closely. Are you careful w/ diet to avoid meds?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I am on metformin

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I want to stress pizza is only a once in a while type thing for me.  I haven't had any in about 3 months

I don't think a diabetic should eat it on a regular basis,or pasta either.  I have a worse time with pasta ,than I do with any other foods.  Bread and potatoes run about neck and neck with me

If a patient produces an adequate amount of insulin to cover a slice of pizza or pasta and their a1c is target level...then enjoy!!! Cherry, once again it's all about the individual and what triggers their blood glucose to rise. 

Agree completely. What is true for one person isn't necessarily true for another. And portion size matters. The ADA includes pasta, potatoes, rice and breads in their recommended diabetic diets - eaten with protein, in half cup portions. Most of us would normally eat double the recommended portion. If you can stick with the recommended portion or slightly more, and eat a balanced meal, it shouldn't affect the BG terribly adversely.

Respected Contributor

Moonchilde, IT A!

Sometimes, however, we all may need to "swim against the tide".  I've been in the hospital twice since 2015 and in opposition to the RDs, In house hospitalists, the two hospitals I was in both gave diabetic patients the " consistent carbohydrate "program

Do you think your blood glucose would shoot up if you were fed stewed chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, a roll and about 1 tablespoon of green beans???? Oh yes-I forgot the huge bunch of grapes...... you are in a hospital being tended to by educated people who are supposed to know more than you do!  

Thankfully, an RD stopped in to visit and gave her permission-and recommended to my doctor that my family should be allowed to bring me food.  We both had a chuckle-and a conversation about that it stinks that hospitals don't do the patient education they should, but in an effort to increase their bottom line, there are personnel cutbacks....and they look for cost saving ways on the food front as well.....but that's kind of where I'm coming from.

I also noticed that a couple of fellow students in my diabetes class were hearing what they wanted to hear....for example, there was a particular brand of pasta that our DE said we could have a full cup and a half of as long as we followed cooking instructions....they were going crazy with this, and honestly, I'm not really sure if they ever tested themselves just to be sure.....( my post script to that is regrettably, I can't have it in any amount).....that doesn't mean you should give it up!

I need to think more about what I'm saying-but you are right. This disease can change-no matter if you play it according to Hoyle.....

OT-I loved the picture of the otters that you posted: warm fuzziness are good for us!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

She has really never said anything to me about my sugar. She takes my labs, checks my feet, asks me about my vision test and always says everything is good, and the last time my a1c was normal

I will ask her,but she never seems to say anything much to me. I tried asking her how many carbs I should eat a day ,or per meal and she said everyone want to know that, but didn't tell me

You need an appt with a diabetes educator dietician. There are classes, or 1-2 visits, nearly always paid for by insurance. They'll give you lots of info, especially on portion sizes. The standard to shoot for, as far as I was told, is 140 or less two hours after eating first bite. If you test sooner the BG will be high(er), if you test later your BG has already started down. It needs to be 2 hrs exactly (give or take 5 min) for best accuracy. If I had a 2 hr pp of 153, as long as 85% of my other readings were 140 or below, I wouldn't bat an eyelash. There's trying hard, and there is obsessing. Many new diabetics obsess; I did too. It's not necessary though, and can lead to feeling you're "bad", which is self-defeating.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My Dr is an endocrinologist , my pcp sent me to her.  I don't think she is bad, but, I guess diabetes is something we have to read and learn about.  She is young ,and not a real seasoned Dr ,I  suspect. She is careful about my thyroid, she called me personally ,when my test score was low, to make sure I was taking the right amount of meds

I did go to a dietitian, and  really didn't get much out of it.  I don't think she was much of a communicator

I read on the ADA ,that 2 hrs after eating, my  blood sugar should be under 180.

I don't go back for a few months ,and I am trying to do the best job I can fro the interval

OMG! 180?!  This is another example, like raising acceptable A1c from 6 to 7, that's just trying to ... I don't know what, but it's bee ess! If I had regular 2 hr readings of 180 I'd be a very unhappy camper and IMO would require a medication adjustment. HECK to the no!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Everyone is different can't be emphasized enough. A c-peptide test can tell how much insulin a person makes. The longer a Type 2 patient has diabetes the more likely their pancreas will produce less and less insulin. Also there are antibody tests that can diagnose type 1 1/2 diabetes which in most cases insulin will be necessary for good control. 

That's why someone's neighbor may be able to eat pizza yet someone else will run a high hours later. Pizza is notorious for raising blood sugar hours later. Also the longer a patient has diabetes the more likely gastroparesis may have an effect on when the blood glucose rises. 

The best way to determine what foods a diabetic can eat is diligent use of a glucometer. Trends in blood glucose are invaluable in putting together an individualized food plan that accomplishes the A1C your medical provider has set for the patient.

The diabetic's reaction to fried foods is often referred to as "the pizza effect" because it works the same way. The fat, in both pizza and fried foods, causes unpredictable, delayed effect on BG. A 2 hr pp (postprandial, i.e. after meals) BG might be good, but a 4-5 hr might register OMG what's going ON? It would be a good idea, for those who need a piece or two of pizza once in a while (and we ALL "need" treats), to check at 2 hrs, and 4-5 hrs just to see what the numbers are.

I was 153 2 hrs after eating and now 5 hrs after I am at 96. Do you think its a safe range?

Sounds very good to me - I'd be happy with it!