Respected Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

@Moonchilde. Thanks. I've been trying to pay closer attention to all this. My good news is my recent Ac1 was 6.1, down from 6.3! So, I think I'm on the right track. I no I need to do even better, but I'm thankful that with the great advice I've found here and online I am heading in the right direction! I was an excellent eater most of my life, loving fruits and veggies. When I broke my foot and was non weight bearing for 6 months something snapped and I at next to nothing. What I ate was mostly carbs! I know I have had problems resulting from lack of nutrition- protein and veggies mostly- which I went without for nearly 3 years! Not sure what changed, but food began to turn me off so I went without. I'm not anorexic and didn't really lose any weight, or not much, I just wasn't interested in eating. So, I'm trying to eat normally again. I was never a major carbie, tho I've always liked good dinner rolls and a small dessert. I hope my problems due to it are reversible! Anyway, thanks again, all, for the great suggestions/discussion, etc!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@tansy. I think I know when my sugar is low...I get shaky and my mind gets foggy. Unlike others I've heard, tho, I seem to go into high gear, racing through whatever I'm doing as if my internal accelerator is stuck! That's why I carry some kind of sweet with me, in case I'm not near somewhere I can get juice, or even a sugar packet!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens,

Here in southern WV, the only place to find a Diabetes Educator is in the Patient Education department of our local community hospital.  Their job is to meet individually with every inpatient newly diagnosed with diabetes, prior to their discharge.  They teach Diabetes Education classes quarterly, and also lead the monthly meeting of the Diabetes support group.   My husband and I have attended the DE classes 3x, and also participated in a diabetes cooking class.   

Trusted Contributor

When I was diagnosed with diabetes it was recommended I go to someone who was an educator about how to eat with diabetes. I realized I was not going to get the information that was right for me. I was avoiding all flour products and such and when I found out what they were telling people they could have (how many carbs per meal)  I decided it wasn't for me. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you Poodlepet2 for inviting me from another thread about a sweetner product!

I'm Cathy and I've been on and off the boards for the last 9 years.  Kind of new with type 2 and struggling with the "diet".  I don't have any symptoms, average size, just numbers!  I'm sceptical about this condition & I really resent testing (playing with strips & lancets.)

I will set time aside and try to read all 96 pages of posts.  

May you all have a wonderful day! 

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Thank you Poodlepet2 for inviting me from another thread about a sweetner product!

I'm Cathy and I've been on and off the boards for the last 9 years.  Kind of new with type 2 and struggling with the "diet".  I don't have any symptoms, average size, just numbers!  I'm sceptical about this condition & I really resent testing (playing with strips & lancets.)

Hi @Jackhound Mom. Welcome. I have been a Type 1 diabetic for almost fifty years and like yourself I am still struggling with the diet. I am constantly watching every morsel I put in my mouth and it gets really tiresome. I test 7 or 8 times a day and feel like a pincushion most of the time. Between that and the insulin injections.....I think we need a cure!!

At least it is nice to know there is plenty of support here. The posters that are dealing with diabetes on this thread have a wealth of knowledge and are always very kind. Hope you join us....

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Hi @Jackhound Mom. Welcome. I have been a Type 1 diabetic for almost fifty years and like yourself I am still struggling with the diet. I am constantly watching every morsel I put in my mouth and it gets really tiresome. I test 7 or 8 times a day and feel like a pincushion most of the time. Between that and the insulin injections.....I think we need a cure!!

At least it is nice to know there is plenty of support here. The posters that are dealing with diabetes on this thread have a wealth of knowledge and are always very kind. Hope you join us....

Thank you so much Trinity!

Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom, welcome! As you read, you may find some answers-but all of us here can help you.

Over in the Kitchen Forum, you gave me a brief synopsis: from that alone, it sounds as if you have been all over the map. In addition, it sounds as if you have some sort of neuropathy or nerve situation going on...you are not alone on that one! A number of us have various conditions in addition to Diabetes: there can be overlap with symptoms because Diabetes does not ignore one single organ or organ system in your body.

What can we help you with? You won't find anybody judging you here....no two diabetics are the same. Much of diabetes management is knowing how particular foods affect you, and the only way to really know is repeated testing...

You are among friends here! Once again, Welcome,

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Good Morning!

That was the nicest welcome, thank you Poodlepet!  

I am so hit or miss on here.  Please forgive me.  Yes, I have 2 miserable nerve problems in my face that cause blinding pain and double vision, ugh!  When I'm at my worst my diet goes out the window and I want sugar.  Don't we all?

I'll be back after I read everyone's posts.

Cathy 

Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom,Cathy, do you have Trigeminal Neuralgia? I understand it: fortunately I don't have that, but it's got to be one of THE worst conditions anyone could possibly be afflicted with-and it sure sounds like that's what you are describing.

We are here for you.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2