Respected Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

@Moonchilde thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us! It seems so frustrating trying to get all of the info straight! I'm trying to fit it all into my life. I think I've gotten down the basics. If my BS were to spike, how would it make me feel? I went through months of continual tremors last summer. I thought I'd go mad! I went to my doc literally crying for help. First thing they did was check my blood. My number was 118! I never got a reason for tremors and still have them occasionally! I stopped finger sticks as they were consistent! 90-110 in am (fasting), 122 2 hours after eating. Only once did I read 142, but I think it was shortly after eating dinner. Other than the one time, I was always the same, within a point or two. So, fasting was always about 110, 2 hrs after a meal was 121. Nearly every time! When it wasn't, it varied only by 1 or 2 points. All advice from everyone gratuitously accepted!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11. Thank you! I think I do need a professional place to start! I love all friendly advice but like Moonchild said, everyone can be different! I will try that sight now!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens -- I generally do not know if my blood sugar is high at any given time unless I check it.  I may be extra tired and/or irritable.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens, the only thing that invariably happens to me when I eat so many carbs that I go high is that I invariably get very sleepy or fall asleep. I don't have any other symptoms from a spike - which is the result of one meal, not being generally high all the time.

WebMD gives these symptoms for ongoing high blood sugars, which you don't seem to have.

Increased thirst.
Headaches.
Trouble concentrating.
Blurred vision.
Frequent peeing.
Fatigue (weak, tired feeling)
Weight loss.
Blood sugar more than 180 mg/dL.

The numbers you have posted seem darn good to me. I don't think you would necessarily "feel" any different with a BG of 150 than with a BG of 115. But if you consistently have BGs of 200+, uncontrolled, you would most likely have those symptoms.

The above is true of my body. Others may have different experiences and opinions.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11-I am blown away...you were recommended to have 75 grams of carbohydrates per meal!!!!!! OMG!

May I ask in what year that was? 

On the other hand, when I was in the hospital in 2015, a typical meal was at least a bunch of grapes, and a sandwich (tuna or chicken salad made with aged awful fake mayo) on huge slices of bread.....followed by sugar-free Jello....judging from the size of the bread slices, there was no way it even approximated "low-carb"....and the amount of grapes....75 grams of carbs is the stuff of my dreams....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I have a question--- going to start testing BG tonight. Was reading thru instructions about the monitor and it wants me to choose between fasting and before meal. Dr wants me to test in a.m before I eat and 2 hours after last meal. What's the difference?

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I have a question--- going to start testing BG tonight. Was reading thru instructions about the monitor and it wants me to choose between fasting and before meal. Dr wants me to test in a.m before I eat and 2 hours after last meal. What's the difference?

@wagirl, is there an option to turn that function off? Some meters have bells & whistles that not everyone needs or is appropriate for everyone.

Fasting would be in the a.m. A "before meal" sounds to me like it's meant for Type 1 testing, when you'd need to know before you used insulin.  There should be a way to indicate "after meal" or a way to turn that function off. When I've had a meter in the past with extra functions I just didn't use them if I didn't want to. But as a newbie I'm sure it's challenging to set it up. Heck, I think it was a pain to set mine up. Good luck!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

...and xylitol is a biggie. It is commonly used in toothpaste and mints, but watch the quantity....

Poodlepet2

Was watching "In the Kitchen w/Mary" today and Antonella was on and presented and sampled the sugar free Juniors Mini Cheesecakes.  She said they absolutely would not cause you to have bathroom issues.  They did say they contained Xylitol.  Read on another thread here that Antonella had to leave the show and Pat came in to replace her.   I was tempted to look into ordering them (even though pricey), but I cannot tolerate Xylitol or any of that type of sugar substitues.   I have problems almost immediately.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Imadickens -- I generally do not know if my blood sugar is high at any given time unless I check it.  I may be extra tired and/or irritable.

I do not have any change in the way I feel when my sugar is high.  However, at times if it is too low, I can definitely feel a difference.  

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I do not have any change in the way I feel when my sugar is high.  However, at times if it is too low, I can definitely feel a difference.  

It's scary stuff to have a low😕 @Daysdee.