Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetes thread now opened!

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Okay, bear with me, @CatLoverDogsToo and anyone interested in the free lancet samples. You know I can't just post a live link, so - put your thinking caps on.

https://followed immediately by order.readylance dotcom

followed by: 

/sales-page-12810582

That should take you to a page that lets you order OR request a free sample.

It lookslike there is a space between the second - and the number 1 but there isn't.

I ordered mine before you posted this but it did take me awhile to find how to get the 10 free.  LOL

I got an e-mail the next morning that my order had shipped.     

Mine too, shipped yesterday!

I would love to need only my meter, a few test strips and a couple of these for on-the-go in a small kit. Most kits aren't really that small, no matter what they want you to believe ;-( Even at home, no muss, no fuss, no disposal worries anywhere.

But OMG - did you notice the HUGE "drop" (aka puddle) of blood in their advertising? Gaah, I would never want or need that much!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Cherry, don't beat yourself up. The mucinex is a good idea: it thins out secretions. You can get it in pill form, and the store brand is fine.

For anybody who is new to diabetes: what you once took in the past for colds and allergies, you probably can no longer take most OTC remedies-especially for those of us with blood pressure issues. If you can't talk to your doctor, talk to the pharmacist.

Moonchilde, the study you posted is what we need more of-basic science research. Finding out there is something there with insulin insensitivity is huge! We know what it is-how and where to we block it? What are the pre-cruisers that rev up this stuffs synthesis? 

@sfnative, II will take time to write more to you here: Trinity11 is a font of information, but I would like to add to it.

Metabolic problems took some foods out of our lives, but metabolic problems can't cook and I do!  Should I give up my love and creativity??? No! @sfnative-and anybody else out there who has had to find alternatives, please join me on the Recipe Forum.(under Alternative Flours"

@sfnative,my first topic is Tigernut flour: it's actually a tuber! It's low in protein and high in fiber. There is a recipe for chocolate chip cookies on the bag it came in. The recipe does not call for eggs or any other binder-just 3 tablespoons of water. As bakers, this could be useful if protein isn't needed as a binder.

At any rate, New healthy, low-carb specialty flours and ingredients are coming out everyday. I would love to hear from people who had to give up foods and what they have replaced them with....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I was taking the pill @Poodlepet2  it still had a warning to diabetics on the packaging

Honored Contributor

A post about finger-sticks, finger-stickers, necessary amounts of blood, and "not sufficient sample" errors for new diabetics.

No, finger-sticks aren't painless no matter what anyone says, and not always simple and straightforward. Many of us are always on the hunt for better-functioning, less painful devices, and they're out there.

Generally, the cheap lancing devices found in basic "kits" are the least desirable, just because they're cheaply made and there's no attention to detail or any real attempt to make them less painful. Look at One Touch Delica, Accu-Chek Softclix and Owen Mumford Autolet Impression, for examples of companies who have used various technologies to lessen the oww. They are more expensive but probably worth it. The Autolet is less than $10 on Amazon, the other two are between $15-20. 

For the One Touch Delica and the Softclix you need to buy your lancets (needles) from the same company, not just any will do. This is no biggie, all lancets are cheap. The Autolet takes anything but "flat" lancets I believe. It doesn't matter if your meter "matches."

Meters & test strips need to match, and devices & lancets sometimes need to match, sometimes not. If you look on Amazon, the "people buy this WITH..." feature is helpful if you're in any doubt.

There are different gauge needles, and different amounts of both pressure (spring-loaded) and depth of needle to consider. Most lancing devices have 5 pressure/depth settings, some have as many as 10. The idea is to stick yourself to get "enough" blood but not so deep it hurts more than it needs to. You experiment to find your ideal.

This is a great blog article on needle gauges and lancets & has lots of general info:

https://www.gracehealthcare.net/blogs/news/55715461-how-to-determine-which-gauge-to-use-for-your-dia...

My fingers have thick, almost calloused in a way, skin because I have spent many years typing & working with paper all my working life and I don't often use lotion. I need a #30 gauge needle; often the #33 gauge doesn't get me enough blood. If you test a LOT, have normal to thin skin, the #33 is probably okay for you. Going any bigger is asking for unnecessary owwies. I usually start with a depth setting of 3; some people might be okay at 2 but I'd say often not.

Sides of fingertips better (hurts less). Top of fingertip will get you sore pretty quick if you test a lot and type :-( You can stick yourself other places than your finger, but I won't go into that - a Type 1 could give better info than me on that.

To squeeze (after sticking) or not to squeeze? I was taught no; nowadays even doctors I go to squeeze, so I do too - but you shouldn't have to squeeze a lot - if you always need to squeeze a lot you need more depth or a larger (#28) needle.

Squeeze or no squeeze, you will be able to tell by looking when your blood drop is "enough" after testing awhile. There is a tiny bit of practice involved in getting the blood to go where it needs to on the strip, and if you don't have enough you'll have to stick yourself again AND waste a test strip. PIT*.

I'm sure everyone does it differently, but I get out a strip, and then I stick myself, wait to determine if I have enough blood, and then put the strip in the meter; I hate it when meters Time Out on me when I put the strip in before I start.

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2, I totally applaud those who are interested enough and have the time and the kitchen to experiment and bake and cook. It's not something I do because when I was diagnosed I was a busy, stressed working woman who was exhausted at the end of my workday. Like jewelwisher, I wanted grab & go. My apt kitchen was the size of a postage stamp, and I didn't want to spend my free time cooking. I'm one who looks for sugar free, lower carb versions of familiar foods. Now that I'm retired I live in someone else's house; they are not interested in any kind of sweets (wish I wasn't, lol) and I don't feel comfortable taking over the kitchen to make something (even dinner) that they might well not like (my tastes are more foodie than theirs and while I don't cook exotic things, much of what I like would be exotic to them, lol).

Between the two of us - you with recipes and ingredient suggestions and swaps for those who enjoy cooking and me familiar with being diabetic in a fast food, better-if-not-best compromise world of less time and effort ;-) we've got diet recommendations covered from both sides.

I admit it - when I have a cold, the flu, sinus or allergy issues or stomach problems, I take what I need to take, regardless, except that I do buy sugar-free cough drops. During allergy season I take Mucinex and Sudafed and Zyrtec when I need it, along with my BP meds. There are no substitutes for some things. I'd rather take them than be miserable. But then it's over (7-10 days?) and I stop taking whatever.

Something I read on the diabetes forum has stayed with me. Someone said "diabetes doesn't define me; it's not my whole life" or something to that effect. So in general that's how I roll. I do what I can but my numbers don't control everything about my life. I don't mean that as any sort of putdown, it's just how I deal with things. I realize and understand that my numbers are not other people's numbers, and some have problems and issues I probably never will, but at least not now.

Respected Contributor

Good morning everybody! Cherry, I hope you are feeling better. Colds are miserable and my last one left me with bronchitis: that's the reason for the steroids for me.

On the cooking front, Moonchilde, I like to cook and bake, but what I am doing is more out of necessity.

I'm human, and my emphasis is on healthy filling meals, but I still need two snacks-one is an absolute must. 

If I am going to maintain my weight, I have to keep the calories lower-but not entirely- but the quality matters. I want to maintain even blood sugars.  After a lifetime of having that horrid sensation of hunger from overproduction of insulin, the good life for me is not being hungry.

The sensation of hunger usually tells me something is wrong....well, kind of, anyway.

Over the last few months, when I look at my logs, I notice that when my castings are in the 80s, I've noted that I was hungry, but I also feel hunger when I'm in the 130s or higher-not always. 

At any rate, there are not many prepared foods that meet my needs. I can't have the GF breads because of the carbs-and my body has decided it does not like rice in any form.

I love my little desserts everyday, but there is absolutely nothing out there that meets my needs. Some may taste great-like Skinny Cow or WW, but they don't fill me up or physically keep me satisfied...for all of the SF cookies and cakes we have, the refined flours for me instantly make it verboten.

Easy, delicious alternatives are what I'm after.

My latest quest is pudding-which I dearly love, but on its own, offers nothing. Jello SF pudding can only be used with cows milk and is sweetened with aspartame....I love the stuff, but it become a rarity.

Solution? Mix your favorite SF instant pudding with a container of silken tofu....and enjoy-pig out on 1/2 - 1 cup if you are so inclined....my favorite? I can't ever get enough of the cheesecake and French Vanilla flavors. Made with tofu, that cuts out the lactose carbs from the milk....so you can enjoy a Graham cracker or two-or maybe a little fruit. Nuts are always a great choice. Made with tofu, it's filling-and you are getting some good fats and protein.

I am trying this today: making my own using Instant Clear Gel and my 30 calorie per cup almond milk, some extract and a new "high grade" liquid Stevia....@sfnative, I hope you see this: my guess is that you may be limited to rice milk, but it's got its problems glycemically.  We can put our heads together.

Moonchilde, call it cooking if you must,but cooking kind of keeps my inner lab rat happy....and in my own crazy way, I think of it as...."....better living through chemistry" (in my mind, it reminds me of that iconic photo of "hippies" protesting with that sign-I believe it was at Berkeley).....

California Dreamin'

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2   thanks I am getting better, my blood sugar is lower today. I only had 2 glucernas yesterday, so it's not what I'm eating

My poor husband has been so much sicker than I am. He feels a bit better today so we are going out for a hot meal. I think it will do bother of us good to have something to eat

I hope none of the rest of you get this stuff, it's miserable

Respected Contributor

It is miserable! The funny thing is, is that when somebody in my family gets sick-they really get it. I can be sick as well, but things don't seem to linger for me-other than respiratory issues.

With well controlled DM-for the time being-and a really healthy diet, I seem to do so much better than the rest of the family.

Cherry, I hope you enjoy your meal out: sometimes, it's just about the convenience factor and the luxury of being served-and no cleanup! 

Tonight is our night out. I just remembered, Gulf oyster season is coming to somewhat of a close. I have not eaten raw in years-and won't, but boy oh boy, an order of oysters Rockefeller would make me happy!

....but tourist season is still in full swing: I'm off to check into reservations at my favorite restaurant.  It is owned and operated by Chef Jeanie Rowland: the pride of our town! She beat Bobby Flat in his show where he was pitted against other professional chefs!

Honored Contributor

I managed to choke down about 1/2 of my breakfast, and my poor husband only managed 1/2 slice of toast

We stopped at our drugstore  on the way home, and  I got some glucerna ,and  also bought a box of glucerna nutrician bars. I got the peanut butter /choc  and they also made a choc/ carmel variety. They are only 10 carbs and a box of 6 is about $5

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2, I wasn't terming "cooking" as anything derogatory.