Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetes news for Summer 2019

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

Type 1 diabetes: 'Why should I apologise?'

Jayne McGlaughlin has type 1 diabetes.

The condition is a result of the pancreas failing to produce enough insulin which results in deregulated blood sugar levels.

These can be altered depending on each individual's diet and their level of physical activity.

To treat the condition, type 1 diabetics inject an amount of insulin according to their specific need.

Ms McGlaughlin says some people hold misconceptions about the condition.

"People sometimes stare at me or tut when I inject," she told BBC News NI.

"There needs to be a better understanding that someone's not taking insulin for show.

"They're doing it because it keeps them alive."

@cherry My deceased BIL used to inject in public. He didn't care what anyone thought and I used to envy him for that. He passed in his late 40's and he did everything possible to stay alive.

I tried injecting once in the ladies room because I was in a hurry only to have some woman scream she didn't want her daughter seeing a "junkie" injecting drugs in her stomach. I have never injected anywhere since except in the ladies room stall. There are so many misconceptions about taking insulin. First there are the zealots who shame Type 2 diabetics about taking insulin and then for Type 1's like myself, they don't want their children seeing needles etc. Can't win....

Honored Contributor

I have a type 1 friend that always injects in the ladies room. So you just ignore those ignorant people, and do what is best for you @Trinity11 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I have a type 1 friend that always injects in the ladies room. So you just ignore those ignorant people, and do what is best for you @Trinity11 

I am a very private person @cherry . Over the years I have had people say some fairly ignorant things to me about taking insulin. One exclaimed how could I be so thin and use insulin. She had the misconception that only people with weight problems were diabetic. Same ole nonsense that we are always reading here no matter how much we try to educate this person.