Honored Contributor

Re: Diabetes (Type 2) and Neuropathy

I'm a type 1 for the past 43 years. I still haven't developed any neuropathy. I keep very active and feel that has really benefited me. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

If your regular doctor can't seem to be helping, maybe you need another kind of doctor.  Maybe your MD would recommend someone.  I'm sure when they have no idea, they'd be glad to help you out with a second opinion.  You would think so anyway!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Gabapentin is another medication that helps with neuropathy pain from diabetes and peripheral artery disease.   It is important to start addressing neuropathy pain early.   

Does it have to be by prescription, or OTC?  Never heard of it, suppose doc has to pres.

Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

I have been using alpha-lipoic acid capsules with pretty good results, 600 mg per day, with the approval of my dr. 

Absolutely, I’ve recommended this several times. I’ve taken this for years and can tell when I’ve stopped taking it for awhile. 

@Teddie  OTC correct?  Never heard of this.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

I have been using alpha-lipoic acid capsules with pretty good results, 600 mg per day, with the approval of my dr. 

Absolutely, I’ve recommended this several times. I’ve taken this for years and can tell when I’ve stopped taking it for awhile. 

@Teddie  OTC correct?  Never heard of this.

Yes, @qualitygal , it’s just a vitamin. You can easily buy this. Currently I’m using Procaps brand but it doesn’t have to be that. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

Yes, Gabapentin is a prescription medication.

Super Contributor

I have neuropathy from chemo, my neourologist doc put me on Cymbalta, started at 20 mg per day and now up to 40. I rarely have any problems now, and previously it was as you described. Doc said it is an off label use.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

I take it as well.

I ran out for awhile, and I definitely noticed enough of a difference from being off of it.

@Snowhite714  and for anyone else dealing with Neuropathy, I would recommend talking to your doctor. That way you can discuss medications for Neuropathy, and also any supplements that you'd additionally like to try taking.

Besides Alpha Lipoic Acid, I also take a B Complex supplement to help with nerve function.

I also take Magnesium and Malic Acid and Tart Cherry, too.

I have Fibromyalgia as well, and these other supplements can help with pain and inflammation.

As others have mentioned, there is no cure, but you can feel more comfortable.

Valued Contributor

I have neuropathy in my feet from chemo.  i have tried cymbalta and gabapentin with no relief.  I will try some of the suggestions you all have made.  Thank you very much.

Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Doctors Best Alpha Lipoic Acid 600 mg, Andrew Lessman supplement for circulation & vein support, Natures Bounty Super B Complex.  I take them all.  I suffered with neuropathy and restless leg syndrome - no more.

The main thing though is keeping your blood sugar under control. I take Metformin and I've taken Trulicity for 5 years too - it's been a Godsend. In fact my numbers are such that my dr told me I could go off the meds if I wanted to.

Diet and exercise - walking -  is also very important.

@FranandZoe  Just a question.....the Andrew Lessman supplements, is that one pill or two different pills?