Valued Contributor

Diabetes (Type 2) and Neuropathy

[ Edited ]

Anyone have any suggestions for how to manage diabetic neuropathy?  The burning, pins and needles, and numbness are driving me crazy day and especially night.  For some reason the burning seems to affect the pelvic area most, I've been examined and nothing else is going on in that area.   

I've tried some OTC creams and although they work fast, it seems that when they wear off the neuropathy is even worse.  HELP!!!

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Diabetes (Type 2) and Neuropathy

[ Edited ]

If you are not doing so try taking B complex vitamins.  My father with type 2 switched vitamins and started having that pins and needles feeling.  The new ones did not have vitamin B.  When he went back to his old vitamins the neuropathy improved. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowhite714   MayoClinic dot org has some good information on treatment of diabetic neuropathy.  Hasn't your doctor prescribed something for you?  There are many choices of drugs to take for this.  One of them could really help you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowhite714 Has your PCP given you a prescription for Metformin ER? There are different dosages and only he/she will be able to provide that for you. Metformin ER is helpful for all diabetics with neuropathy. Ask about it!

I'm bothered with neuropathy in the hands, feet and legs which is helped  with warm baths each morning and evening. Sleeping with an electric blanket on top of my quilt also has helped during the colder months, which keeps the veins open and the blood flowing easily thus reducing the "pins & needles", numbness, and cold of my feet and legs.

I wear natural fibers in all clothing, only pima cotton nightgowns (Lands End or LL Bean), sleep on 100% cotton flannel sheets (IIRC LL Bean),  wear good leather footwear (Birkinstock's are my favorite - but there are others), and eat healthy & walk daily! It all makes a huge difference in my comfort level and overall health. 

All these changes occured in my mid-50's after wearing heels everyday since my teen years and living & loving life without a care! Yes, I wore silks, wools, linens - but never had I owned a pima cotton nightgown or a flannel sheet or worried about eating "healthy" or walking daily!! After becoming a diabetic, all of it has become a way of life that I'm happy to embrace. [It does help that I'm widowed and able to sleep in a cotton nightgown and on flannel sheets! Smiley Wink ]

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Gabapentin is another medication that helps with neuropathy pain from diabetes and peripheral artery disease.   It is important to start addressing neuropathy pain early.   

Respected Contributor

I have been using alpha-lipoic acid capsules with pretty good results, 600 mg per day, with the approval of my dr. 

Trusted Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

I have been using alpha-lipoic acid capsules with pretty good results, 600 mg per day, with the approval of my dr. 

Absolutely, I’ve recommended this several times. I’ve taken this for years and can tell when I’ve stopped taking it for awhile. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Doctors Best Alpha Lipoic Acid 600 mg, Andrew Lessman supplement for circulation & vein support, Natures Bounty Super B Complex.  I take them all.  I suffered with neuropathy and restless leg syndrome - no more.

The main thing though is keeping your blood sugar under control. I take Metformin and I've taken Trulicity for 5 years too - it's been a Godsend. In fact my numbers are such that my dr told me I could go off the meds if I wanted to.

Diet and exercise - walking -  is also very important.

Honored Contributor

I take Alpha Lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine.  They don't cure it, or totally eliminate the pain and numbness, but at the present at least it's not getting worse.

Trusted Contributor

Thats what my husband takes and though it does help there are times where there are break through "pins and needles". He really needs to go to the doctor and get the dosage increased. No need to suffer if there are meds that can help!

@RedTop wrote:

Gabapentin is another medication that helps with neuropathy pain from diabetes and peripheral artery disease.   It is important to start addressing neuropathy pain early.