Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   Interesting!!

I have pretty good hair so I never noticed any improvements in my hair...now if something would help my weak nails, that would be great!  I have taken biotin....did nothing.

Regular Contributor

Mom2Dogs - Thank you very much. I am glad that your test went well.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thank you so much --- I will look them up! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  That is great you saw such an improvement in your hip area!

Do you do any weight bearing exercises or any exercises at all?

Diet changes?

Will research bamboo silica, thank you @SilleeMee 

I had a DEXA a month ago & results were not good.  I am 62 & am considered osteoporsis, so here I go battling this, doing a lot of research & going to try the diet / exercise before they put me on something which I know my doctor will say fine for making health changes, but here is a drug

Honored Contributor

Re: Dexa Scan report

[ Edited ]

@AnnMarie-1 

I'd like to draw your attention, if you don't mind, to a couple of NIH publications which I found convincing enough to make me take another look at silica (aka silicon) supps. These two publications, along with many others, made me decide to take silica long term for my bone health. 

The first article is somewhat technical but just read the "Abstract" section and also scroll down to the "Conclusion" section to get the gist of the publication if you don't want to read the rest.

From the NIH Library of Medicine, search:

"SILICON AND BONE HEALTH" PMC - NCBI

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658806/

Also:

"Silicon: a review of its potential role in the prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23762049/

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1   I should be ashamed to admit this but ...no to additional weight bearing exercises or change in diet....it has to be the bamboo silica.

I have a 'rebounder' mini trampoline that I use but not consistently and hand weights that I use, but nothing consistent.  A treadmill would be great, but I do not have one...and would only use it in the winter.

I don't know what your numbers were but I did take foxomax, then boniva for years and the doctor wanted me to take the injections.  I did not want to do that and did not want to continue the meds, which you are not supposed to be on for more than 10 years...I was close to that.

Two years ago I quit the meds and was pretty diligent with the bamboo in my morning coffee.  I also take calcium and vit. d -daily.

I was concerned about my dexa scan this year ( I am 67) and did not expect to see improvement, so I was very happy.  I had gone from osteponia to osteoporsis in a couple of years...my numbers were not horrible but any improvement would make me happy, and so when there was improvement, I was thrilled.

Good luck to you

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much @SilleeMee , !!! I will definetly check the article out, 

@Mom2Dogs My numbers are: -2.4 spine, -2.2 left hip, -2.5 rt hip, so not good.  Thank you for telling me your story, I am short & petite so that deosn't help.  Did you have any side effects on the meds you took?  Did the meds help your numbers get better?  This whole thing has stressed me out, but helps talking to others that understand like you , thank you for that 

Honored Contributor

@AnnMarie-1   I had no ill effects from the meds, boniva or fosamax.  

If you can get out and walk or use a treadmill, that cannot hurt, and pick up some handweights.  

Only you can decide on meds...I was not totally against them, as I took something for several years, I just decided to try another route.  If my results had not shown improvement, I would have had a consult with my doctor to see what the next step would be.

Trusted Contributor

I bought some hand weights & looking at Physical Therapy videos on YouTube.  And need to start walking.  Started eating more calcium & take 250 MG added calcium & 1000 D & half a multi B.  Looking at the bamboo & K2 to add

Honored Contributor

Re: Dexa Scan report

[ Edited ]

My very first Dexa scan showed that I had a bad case of osteoporosis, age 45. My doc gave me a Rx to have a once-yearly dose of IV Zometa right away. One year later my Dexa scan scores showed that I had improved bone density but still  too low and in the osteopenia ranges. 

Sometime during that following year I developed a severe adverse reaction to the Zometa which required me to have surgery on my cervical spine due to issues with bone tumors forming in that area of my spine. It was serious (too much to talk about here) and was the reason my doc did not advise me to take any more Rx bone meds and told me to just wait until my next bone scan in two years from that point in time.

I started taking the silica supps shortly after that and then my next Dexa scan came back normal. I also started doing more exercises aimed at strengthening my bones plus I was eating a diet rich in minerals and vitamins so I could maintain good bone health. I'm 67 now and in good health.

That's my story about my bones.Woman Happy