Honored Contributor

Re: Deviated Septum....or...Balloon Sinuplasty

@tsavorite

When I bought my house, it coincided with the results of my allergy testing.  I had been taking medicine since I was a kid, but I didn't know specifically the things I was allergic to.  I immediately got the mattress/pillow covers, and decided to put in blinds instead of curtains.  When I got my sofa, I got leather, as that was what the allergist recommended.  The previous owners had put in new wall to wall carpeting throughout the house.  I dealt with it for eight years, and this spring/summer I just ripped out all of the carpeting and had tile (that looks like wood) installed.  It is amazing!  So easy to clean and no mites to worry about.  I like that I can steam clean the floors when necessary, so I don't even have to use chemicals.  I also have asthma and my skin reacts to lots of things, so I have to be careful about chemicals in my house. I do take two RX allergy meds a day, plus I do allergy shots and I have RX allergy eye drops.  The sinus surgery was one of the best things I have done for the ease of breathing and getting rid of the "fullness" in the one ear.   

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@tsavorite . Has your doctor mentioned enlarged turbinates?  I had the problem of waking up each night with one of my nostrils clogged.  After going to an ENT I was told that I had enlarged turbinates.  He did a procedure (I can't recall the name of it since it's been more than 18 years ago) to reduce the swelling.

Well it helped a little but not enough so I went to another ENT who claimed that I had a deviated septum also along with enlarged turbinates.  I had the surgery to straighten it (but my real problem was the enlarged turbinates) and another reduction for my turbinates.  Doctors don't want to overdo it by making turbinates too small since they are needed to regulate moisture in your sinuses.

I really don't remember too much right after the surgery except coming home with my nose packed, feeling miserable and my DH asking me what I was thinking about for dinner!  I could have clobbered him!  I told him to get take out for himself & the kids.

Today I still have a minor issue with my nose only occasionally having the swelling and it's not as bad as it once was.  Hopefully in 2018 procedures for better breathing have improved a great deal.

@haddon9  No...I was seeing the ENT/allergist guy in the office that day....and he is the one that told me I have a severely deviated septum 95% blockage.  Now I saw this same doctor yrs back and he never mentioned any of this to me back then.  Also for several yrs I saw (in same practice) another ENT that specializes in vertigo and he never mentioned any of this to me either.  Had MRI and so on....never mentioned anything about this so called septum problem.  

Nobody ever mentioned turbinates to me either.  From what I am reading and researching that is the most likely issues with folks NOT the so called deviated septum.  Everyone's septum is somewhat "not straight" and it's no issue whatsoever.  But those turbinates seem to be the key...and since I am allergic to dust mites they can be inflammed easily.  Heck I am beginning to think this all is connected.  The vertigo as the tubes from my ear (all same side/left) is always feeling like there is something in there...or pressure.  ANd believe me I have done every awful test they insist on yrs back and they told me no pressure found but for me it feels like there is all the time.  Just like my left nostril....swollen...pressure.  

@tsavorite  I also got the impression from my doctors and reading online that just about everyone has a deviated septum to some degree. 

As for enlarged turbinates why not ask and see what your doctor says?  From my personal experience with it, my breathing was fine 90% of the time.  It's when sleeping or lying down for a period of time gravity made them swell to the point of them blocking my nasal passageway (on one side...the side that I was lying on) and I couldn't breathe.  I could also feel a lot of pressure so when I used to sit up for at least 45 minutes it would clear again thanks to gravity....not a recipe for a good night's sleep!

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono  Thank YOU!  I will begin working on my husband about getting rid of all the 15yr old carpet and getting wood flooring.  I have blinds also and leather soaf's so that's all good.  

On your surgery did the reduce the size of the turbinates which are in the sinus area as I am understanding this?  This is something I will be talking to the ENT about.  Gald it worked out so good for you.

Honored Contributor

My teacher daughter had her deviated septum repaired about 5 years ago, and it made a world of difference for her ability to breathe thru her nose. For years she could only breathe thru one nostril and had continuous sinus infections.

Her surgery was done as an out patient in the same day surgery unit at the hospital. We were in and out in about 4 hours. The surgery was a big improvement with her health issues.
Respected Contributor

@haddon9  that's what happens to me....but I do still have some difficulty when up....if I block my other nostril and try to breathe with only the left side open it's difficult!  I will for sure be talking to the ENT all about this.  Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you considered doing an elimination diet like Whole30 to see if your sleep issues and/or sinus blockage is related to a food allergy?

I had a constant runny nose and found that when I moved to a Paleo diet, my most stopped running.  The only time I need a tissue is when I walk past the flower department at the grocery store.

I was also getting stuffed up around bedtime and figure out it was something I was eating at dinner, probably wheat.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@tsavorite

Mine was the same experience as @RedTop 's daughter.  I went in at 8, was home by noon.  I had to go to the hospital (instead of the ambulatory surgical center) because of my asthma and latex allergy.  I had surgery on a Monday and had my first follow up two days later, when they removed the "clips" that held open the sinuses.  Immediately after surgery I told BF I could breathe better with the clips than I could before the surgery.  He widened the cavities in pink.  

Related image

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite

To answer your question about Sleep Apnea. I have had 6 Sleep Studies done, more than anyone I know. They were done for different reasons than Sleep Apnea. But they readouts do show if the patient has Sleep Apnea.  

Out of the 6 Sleep Studies I have had, 3 said yes and 3 said no. I do not use a CPAP because I never believed I had Sleep Apnea, even after each study that said I did. Wasn't my favorite procedure to have done, but not even close to bad or painful.

As I said in my other post, my recent nose fracture was #9, when I fell during 1 of my ice skating sessions. Before I had the surgery to correct the deviated septum, I think it had been broken maybe 3-4 times.

I dealt with sinus issues for many years, through my teens and 20's, and could only breath out of the 1 side of my nose. The breathing didn't bother me at all compared to my sinus issues. I didn't ride in certain friends cars in the winter because they kept their heaters so high, it plugged up my sinuses, which gave me a terrific headache.

Once I had the corrective surgery, which included cosmetically reducing the size of my Italian(no offense meant to the Italians here) nose, shortening it and removing the big hump on the bridge, I never had another problem with my sinus issues. The very next time I broke it, back to 1 nostril and no longer a straight bridge.

The Rhinoplasty surgery worked for my sinus issue and breathing, and the cosmetic work stopped all the "Don't swim on your back, they may shoot you for a shark, and the I'd love to have your nose full of quarters" jokes.

Anything else? Let me know, and I hope you find the answers that might help you with your issue(s).

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35  No I have never done one of these elimination diets.  When they tested me for allergies they did for food also and surprisingly my report shows I have none.  Nothing to avoid according to it.  So I never pursued changing my diet.  Wonder if it would still help?  Something for me to consider and thank you for posting your idea....I appreciate ALL helpful posts and ideas or things I should mention to the doctors when I go in.

That is amazing that diet change made such a difference for you....I have heard others reporting this and other things getting better.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut  Thank you for sharing all that LOL!  9 sleep studies must be a world record!  My spouse who snores loudly/terribly did one of these several yrs ago.  They told him he snores LOL and might have a slight case of restless leg syndrome.  I was really surprised as I am up and down all night long and he sleeps on his left side (never rolls over to prevent gerd) and he is totally still.  I purchased him a Pure Sleep snore guard that pushes the jaw just a tiny bit forward opening the airway and he is not snoring now.  Once in a while he will but that's due to not putting it in (in his hand) or rolling over on back which then it doesn't seem to help.  Long story but he felt the sleep study was a big waste of his time and money.  These things don't seem to always be very accurate after reading your split decision on sleep apena or not!  This 1st doctor I could get a appointment with is a sleep medicine doctor + pulmonary type.  So I will see what he thinks of my symptoms/problems.

Now on too your nose fractures....that makes alot of sense....I mean playing hockey and all getting your nose broken so many times seems like needing the septum to be straightened goes hand and hand.

I have never broken my nose per say....and have a small nose for the average size woman.  I wonder if due to my small size I might have issues? BUT my youngest son has a small nose like mine and they did this procedure on him and I asked him again yesterday and he said that the surgery didn't help him breathe any better at all!  That really upsets me as a parent I believed the ENT that they knew what they were doing and had them do this surgery.  I wish I knew more about what is really causing the breathing thur nose issues for him and myself.  I just don't believe that septum surgery is the right thing to do here (in our cases) but leaning toward that turbinate procedure as being the real cause of the problems.  The ENT should have known this with my son for sure.

When you say sinus issues do you mean infections? pressure/pain headaches?  I never get sinus infections and neither does my son.  We just have congestion some plugged up one side nostril thing going on.  He also (like me) gets vertigo/dizziness....I feel bad as it appears I passed my bad cr*p onto him.  

Edit: forgot another thing about sleep apena....my husband's brother has it and was falling asleep and felt dead tired all the time.  I think if someone has this condition then for sure your going to have these symptoms.  So again in your case....you feel refreshed and have good energy doing all the things you do!  Makes sense...sometimes we have to use logic and question the things some doctors may be telling us.