Occasional Contributor

Desperately needing help for hot flashes.

Hey. I am in desperate need of help for hot flashes. I am estrogen sensitive and have tried several different estrogens and can't seem to take it. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated and will try. Thank you in advance for your help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Desperately needing help for hot flashes.

Why aren't you discussing this with your MD ?

Respected Contributor

I've gotten some relief taking Evening of Primrose...I take 1000mg per day....nothing else I tried over the counter worked

Respected Contributor

On 6/10/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Why aren't you discussing this with your MD ?

Maybe she doesn't want to be put on hormones?.....that seems to be what doctors push for....I mentioned it to my MD only to be told that I should try HRT....I opted not to and have looked for natural remedies/relief.

Honored Contributor

I got it for this hot climate.........a Frog Toggs neck wrap. It really cools you down.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

Hot flashes are a result of estrogen dominance as your grow older. All your hormones decline, but the progesterone declines faster than estrogen, leaving you dominant and causing all sorts of annoying symptoms including hot flashes and night sweats. Progesterone cream applied days 14 thru 28 of your cycle can help. Also, Vitex, is very good with boosting progesterone production and helping balance hormones for women who have PMS symptoms (like sore breasts, cramps, hormonal acne, etc.), fertility, and perimenopausal symptoms like hot flashes. There has been a lot of research on it, and it's very safe. It will take longer to have an effect than a progesterone cream but is a more natural approach since you aren't adding any hormones to your body (vitex is an herb). A lot of doctors prescribe low dose estrogen bc pills, but though they may help you feel better in the short term, they will cause more estrogen dominance in the long term. Conjugated/synthetic estrogens are never good for the body despite what those crummy TV commercials would have you believe! Best wishes! I know they are annoying.

Also, if you are not of perimenopausal age, get your thyroid checked. A wonky thyroid can cause hot flashes because it inhibits your internal thermostat from working properly (you may get hot easily in a warm room or be sensitive to cold).

Honored Contributor

On 6/10/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Why aren't you discussing this with your MD ? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

First, she's already tried hormones, so I'm thinking she has talked to her MD about it. Second, maybe her MD is a man. Those doctors might know a lot, but they haven't lived it and sometimes you need advice from someone who has been through it.

I don't normally have issues with male doctors or younger doctors, but last time I went in for bronchitis, the doctor asked me a lot of questions about birth control pills, which I told him I wasn't using at the time, and then he went into a whole speech about how the antibiotic he was giving me might interact with birth control pills. Again, I had already told him that I wasn't on birth control pills and I've made it to 44 without having ever gotten pregnant, something the 30 year old male doctor couldn't say for himself.

Super Contributor

Someone told me a few year ago, when you first begin to feel the hot flash coming on start taking slow deep breaths in and out until you feel the hot flash subside. This may take several deep breaths. I found this does work to a degree if you start the breaths as soon as you first feel the hot flash.

Honored Contributor

I Cool supplement from the drugstore. Contains Genisteen, are you sensitive to that too?

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for all of your responses. I am working with my doctor, and we just can't find anything that works yet. I have had a complete hystorecetomy and am in menopause. I am 48, and just need some help and advice, and I thank you all for your time.